This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cna You Answer These

joemoe003

schuyler Apprentice

> > >1. how long have you had coeliac?

> > > I was diagnosed 3.5 months ago, but the doctor thinks that I'd probably had it for over half my life

> > >2. At what age were you diagnosed?

> > > 20 years and 7 months

> > >

> > >3. what foods do you miss out on?

> > > Sometimes I miss the flavor of pasteries, cookies, soft bread, pizza, etc. But honestly I don't miss eating them because they made me so sick for so long, that sometimes just the thought of eating them again makes me feel sick.

> > >4. How much does it cost to stay gluten free?

> > > For me, this gluten-free diet is costing me a lot more than my old diet used to. Not only is the food more expensive, but I'm actually eating (the 6 months prior to my diagnosis I barely ate anything). I really don't mind spending the extra money, because it's helping me feel better!

> > >5. Do you ever wish that you didn't have coeliac?

> > > YES!!!! I wish that I didn't have to worry about food all the time. It'd be nice to be able to just eat whatever I want without worring about ingredients, cross contamination and other things.

> > >6. Does the food taste better or worse or the same as ordinary food?

> > > It depends. Most of the prepackaged things are worse, but I've found some that I like more (kinninnick or however it's spelled is awesome!). I've also made some homemade things that were complete disasters and some that I really liked. I think it just takes time to tweak recepies and discover good brands for the prepackaged things.

> > >7. Have you ever eaten gluten without knowing it then suffered for it?

Oh yes!!! I had some trouble with cc initially. About two weeks ago I went out to eat to a little Mexican restaurant and I was assured that their chips were all gluten-free. Well I ended up so sick that I had to go to the hospital. I've also had problems with labeling issues where I've eaten something that was supposed to be gluten-free, only to find out that it wasn't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

1. how long have you had celiac? Coming up on 4 years, after a bad bout of mono

2. At what age were you diagnosed? 22

3. what foods do you miss out on? French bread, hidden valley ranch dressing

4. How much does it cost to stay gluten free? A lot. I don't buy much replacement stuff, but there is so much trial and error involved, because a lot of it is stryofoam or cardboard.

5. Do you ever wish that you didn't have celiac? I'd make life easier, but at least I know what's wrong.

6. Does the food taste better or worse or the same as ordinary food? The same. Other than baked stuff, I make all the same stuff I did before. I cooked 95% gluten-free and didn't even know it!

7. Have you ever eaten gluten without knowing it then suffered for it? Too often. I'm still a "baby celiac"

cgilsing Enthusiast

1. how long have you had celiac?

I'm not certain, but the earliest I remember having celiac disease symptoms was in H.S. I was probably 14 or 15.

2. At what age were you diagnosed?

I was sortof diagnosed when I was 23, but I was never sent for a biopsy or a blood test....so it's not official I guess. I'm still working on that. I got back a positive gene test about a week ago though! I'm 25 now.

3. what foods do you miss out on?

I don't miss out on much....I make most of the things I like. If I miss out on something it's the experience of eating. I've always liked trying new restaurants, eating with friends...etc. That's hard now. I do miss McDonald's #3 without cheese though :ph34r: I heard it's not a #3 anymore though....ha that's sad it's been that long!

4. How much does it cost to stay gluten free?

It definatly costs more.....how much more depends on your diet though. The specialty stuff is outrageous! I get some of that for treats. Pizza dough mix, hamburger buns, cookies, etc. But if I wanted to cut back on spending I could, but just making more naturally gluten-free stuff. We do that a lot anyway.

5. Do you ever wish that you didn't have celiac?

YES! I don't dwell on having celiac disease, but if someone asked me tomarrow if I wanted a pill to make it go away, I'd bite their arm off to get to it! I look at celiac disease as being a good life lesson in self-control though. It has been good for me in that respect. I know now that I can have complete control over what I allow myself. But I've learned my lesson and if you have that pill you better hand it over!!! :lol:

6. Does the food taste better or worse or the same as ordinary food?

I think it's a matter of what you are used to. At first I didn't like the taste of gluten-free food. Everything had a funny aftertaste to me. Now I don't really taste it anymore in most foods. I do think now that I can taste wheat in food though! If I'm eating something by mistake, it tastes a little metalic to me or something. My husband sums it up though (he eats whatever he wants, but at home I make gluten-free for both of us). We were out to eat and he had some kind of pasta. I asked him how it was and he said he didn't like it, because it wasn't like the pasta at home! :lol:

7. Have you ever eaten gluten without knowing it then suffered for it?

Yes.....too often. It's a lot better now, and I am rarely glutened (once every few months), but it does happen.

Ashley Enthusiast

1. how long have you had coeliac? A year this month!

2. At what age were you diagnosed? Fourteen

3. what foods do you miss out on? Pretzels. I loved pretzels. And poptarts XD

4. How much does it cost to stay gluten free? Depends how much you buy gluten-free foods specially made ( cookies, pastas, breaded meats, ect.) If you don't but these much (which I don't except for cake mixes, for decortating class), it's not really that much more expensive.

5. Do you ever wish that you didn't have coeliac? Not really. Celiac makes me unqiue and personally I think it's a better way of an eating living style.

6. Does the food taste better or worse or the same as ordinary food? It tastes the same, but, it gets repetitive sometimes. I live though.

7. Have you ever eaten gluten without knowing it then suffered for it? Yep.

melly Rookie
can u answer these? a friend of mine is doin a report and he would like to know some information about us all!

> > >1. how long have you had coeliac?

> > >

> > >2. At what age were you diagnosed?

> > >

> > >

> > >3. what foods do you miss out on?

> > >

> > >4. How much does it cost to stay gluten free?

> > >

> > >5. Do you ever wish that you didn't have coeliac?

> > >

> > >6. Does the food taste better or worse or the same as ordinary food?

> > >

> > >7. Have you ever eaten gluten without knowing it then suffered for it?

i was almost 13 when i went gluten-free dont now how long i had celiac disease or that i really do have it because i diddnt sta rt feeling alot better if at all but since im growing i should stay gluten-free i miss ot on cake cookies brownies ALL THE GREAT HOMADE STUFF THAT KID MOM BRIG TO SCHOOL PARTIES TORTURE oreos mint and creem oreos chips ahoy coke (coca cola) gingerale taco bell frenlys kfccheese cake and my favorite icecream that bothered me the most for awile i had dream s i was jut eating thje icecream then in the midle i relized i couldnt have it ive allwas felt saic i didnt know what caused it i really didnt feel diffrent there is no glutenfree oreo we got one once you could break yourtooth so it does have its advantages jut eatig something and not looking through substatutes

• 2 weeks later...
HillaryT Newbie
can u answer these? a friend of mine is doin a report and he would like to know some information about us all!

> > >1. how long have you had coeliac? i was diagnosed almost a year ago now, but i had symptoms for 6 months at least before that> > >

> > >2. At what age were you diagnosed? 18

> > >

> > >

> > >3. what foods do you miss out on? so many but mostly pizza, bagels, cookies....

> > >

> > >4. How much does it cost to stay gluten free? as a college student it costs alot. i go to school in nyc so instead of being able to eat a cheap luch or dinner of pizza it always costs over $10 for any meal

> > >

> > >5. Do you ever wish that you didn't have coeliac? every day...why would i want this?

> > >

> > >6. Does the food taste better or worse or the same as ordinary food? worst

> > >

> > >7. Have you ever eaten gluten without knowing it then suffered for it? yup

Archived