This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Medical Id Bracelets

Dandelion

Dandelion Contributor

Just curious if any of you wear one of these stating that you have celiac disease? A friend of mine asked me if I was going to get one and I have to admit I never thought about it. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I don't but it was one of the things I was thinking about early-on too. We've discussed this a couple times before. The thing that made me feel comfortable NOT wearing one is that if you were in an accident and couldn't speak up for yourself, they wouldn't be giving you solid food anyway. It's not until you have a certain level of conciousness that they even start offering food.

I do know you can get them. If it gives you that additional level of comfort and safety I think it's helpful in that way if nothing else. It can also give that "official" aspect that you sometimes need when dealing with friends and family who might be less than supportive.

Nancy

L.A. Contributor

I'm a diabetic so just had celiac added to my existing tag. I think I would still get one if I just had celiac disease--my luck, I'd end up in the hospital and they would pump me full of glutenous stuff :lol:

Nantzie Collaborator

Yea, there's always a theoretical chance. I had a scary thought though. Could you imagine getting amnesia and having to figure this stuff out all OVER again? Yikes! :ph34r:

Nancy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't wear a tag but I do have it in big bold letters first on the list I have sticky noted to my drivers license. If I am unconsious I can not tell them to be aware of it in any meds or any other sort of thing. I may not be eating if I am unconsious or have a stroke but gluten isn't just in food and many med people don't know the gluten statis of anything they give us.

Guest lorlyn

I took my daughter to have her blood work check up today and they put a orange band on her wrist so they would know she had some form of allergies and another nurse put on dusted gloves to remove her blood and I had to tell them it would be better for them to use latex free gloves, so it would not hurt to wear a id celiac braclet.

par18 Apprentice
Just curious if any of you wear one of these stating that you have celiac disease? A friend of mine asked me if I was going to get one and I have to admit I never thought about it. Any thoughts?

I actually have a medical ID necklace. I ordered it through Walgreen's. Cost about $10. On it I have "Celiac Disease Intolerant of Gluten". I also have my name, address and home phone number. You can actually put whatever message on it you want. It may or may not help but don't think it will hurt to have one. It is possible the person attending to you might know what "Celiac" means.

Tom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I needed a new medic alert bracelet anyway (I used to wear one, but hated the stainless steel one and stopped wearing it a few years ago). I got a nice looking sterling silver one that states I have asthma and celiac disease, and I am allergic to morphine, Theo-Dur (an asthma medication) and Aspirin (so high in salicylates that if I had a heart attack they'd otherwise finish me off by giving me Aspirin :ph34r: ). That covers it quite nicely, and I feel much safer wearing it.

I don't know if I would have gotten one just for celiac disease, though.

mn farm gal Apprentice

I can see where maybe the people around us that don't take this serious would maybe think differently if we wore a medical necklace or bracelet. My family in itself don't think this is serious and they have taken me to several different doctors that I can't count on both hands and feet.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

If the Celiac is a minor (child) I would get a medicalert braclet. My child wears one for a peanut allergy. Beofre she had her bracelet, when she told an adult that she has a nut allergy they did not take her seriously. Now with the medic alert bracelet, she shows them the bracelet and tells them she has a nut allergy. No one second guesses her now. In a way, it gives them the fear of god look which works just fine.

My worst fear was always being in an accident and being unconscious and someone offering the kids food to be nice. With my kids, the food allergies are the biggest fear. Prior to my food allergy and Celiac life, I would have never thought about a problem giving a kid a snack. I can't even imagine recovering from an accident and then dealing with a kid being glutened because someone didn't know better.

As far as hospital go, I know some really get the whole gluten-free food thing, but I have had no luck with it. For a scheduled surgery and admittance to the hospital, I followed procedure and talked to the doctors, talked to the hospital dietician all before the surgery. Had the gluten-free/allergy listed on my chart and every meal served had gluten items sitting on the tray - toast, crutons, dinner roll, and my favorite - pasta. Needless to say family brought in frozen food and snacks for me. Maybe the hospital did prepare a gluten-free meal, but it certainly never landed in my room!

Dandelion Contributor

Thanks for all of your replies. I like the idea of putting a note on my driver's license but do emergency workers and doctors always look there?

Mountain Mama Rookie

I have one. My nutritionist told me it was a good idea. She said it will help with airplanes etc. I also have graves disease which is on there and my allergies to pennicillin and sulfa drugs.

Ursa, I have a really cute one I got at creativemedicalid.com they have lots of styles, a bit pricey though!

kbtoyssni Contributor
I don't wear a tag but I do have it in big bold letters first on the list I have sticky noted to my drivers license. If I am unconsious I can not tell them to be aware of it in any meds or any other sort of thing. I may not be eating if I am unconsious or have a stroke but gluten isn't just in food and many med people don't know the gluten statis of anything they give us.

Oooh, good idea. I'm doing that as soon as I get home. I bet a medical worker would look for a license or other ID if I were not able to talk. They'd want to know who you are, but treatment would be Number 1 so it's possible they might give you some drugs before looking for an ID. I figure that one glutening isn't going to kill me (not like an anaphlactic allergy would) so I'll risk it by not wearing a bracelet.

Nantzie Collaborator

A lot of good points here..

Does anyone remember years ago they used to advertise a medical alert ID card that was made of metal that you put in your wallet? I think it used to be in the Miles Kimball catalog, but they don't have it anymore.

Now I'm tossing around the idea of getting at least a keychain or something.

Nancy

Creative-Soul Newbie

I have a bracelet, a beautiful sterling silver one from Lauren's Hope. I have other allergies to Penicillin, Sulpha and dairy on there as well (I actually need to add a couple more things on there soon).

But I would have gotten it anyway even if there was nothing else besides Celiac/ Gluten Intolerance; it just makes things easier, and impresses on other people just how serious the condition is - especially when travelling, if hospitalised and getting other accomodations if necessary.

There are also many other options like a pendant / dogtag you can place on a beltloop or the zipper of your bag, and cards you can also attach to your bag, cuff bracelets, etc...

Too many people can not take you seriously, but when they see that symbol... I get taken a lot more seriously now!

Ursa Major Collaborator

One thing I want to mention is this: I choose to have a real medic alert bracelet, even though it is expensive, because it is a lot better than just a generic tag. With medic alert, they have your information on file to be accessed day or night (a 1-800 number to call is on my tag). They have a long, detailed list of all my allergies/intolerances, and what reactions I may have from them. They also have my contact information and my doctor's information, including my husband's daytime and evening numbers, my son's phone number, and both my MD and naturopathic doctor's numbers.

So, in case I can't speak for myself, a lot of other people can be called to speak for me in addition to the info on my medic alert bracelet. I feel that it gives me peace of mind and is well worth the money.

• 3 years later...
sarahnb Newbie

I think that wearing some kind of ID showing you have celiac is a good idea. If you or I were involved in an accident and we couldn't speak and or were unconscious then the doctors may give us medicine that has gluten in it and it would make us sicker instead of better. Just a thought on the subject. Have a wonderful day!

K8ling Enthusiast

I have one because when my husband is deployed and I am at school, I got one from Laurens Hope and it makes my husband feel so much better knowing I am taken care of if I can't speak. Also, it's cute and I can wear it with everything (although I DO like that Medic Alert has all the info on file all the time. I also have asthma so it helps to facilitate help if I can't breathe .

All in all, not the worst idea ever.

Archived