43 replies to this topic

#1 AntiGluten

AntiGluten

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:05 PM

My biggest and worst symptom is that I get fatigued to the where I can't stay awake. It really interferes with work and school. I have trouble staying awake in class a lot of the time and I can't help it. I don't have a job because pretty much everyday I have to take a nap just to make it through. I was wondering if anyone else has had this same type of thing with them and what they do or have done to make it better (preferably go away completely). I first noticed my excessive sleepiness when I was in Japan for a two week exchange program with my school. I was dozing off on trains and in the classroom. My friends started to call me Grandpa Simpson. It's not only extremely annoying and frustrating, but embarassing at times too. This semester I'm taking a jogging class to help get me back into shape since I havent done any sort of physical activity since sophmore year of high school. Hopefully getting my body in shape will help with my fatigue. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
Lee
Name's Lee, 24/m/tx
Diagnosed in 11/01
I prefer the Paleo Diet over all others.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 aldociao

aldociao

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:27 PM

Lee,
There is a very interesting book, "The Promise of Sleep" by William Dement, MD, that you might want to look into. It deals with just about everything dealing with sleep and its vital importance to one's health--mostly overlooked, Dement thinks, by the health professions. There is a chapter on narcolepsy, which may or may not be involved in what you have been experiencing but it might shed some light on your condition. I found his treatment of "sleep debt" fascinating reading. I have tried, after reading about it, to cut down on mine. It might be just something as simple as this that could solve your problem. --Aldo

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:29 PM

Lee-
I am in college also. I find that it really helps to listen to your body. When you get those tired feelings don't ignore them Take a nap!! It will only get worse if you don't.
Eat good foods. Eat a good meal (not junk). Take a daily vitamin. Take some time out of your day to just chill and watch your favorite tv show or whatever. Give yourself a mental break too.

College is stressfull enough without a disease!! ha Give yourself a break once in a while. You can't do EVERYTHING!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 Sylvia

Sylvia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:32 PM

Dear Antigluten: I too usually have to take a nap to make it through the day. I also have developed a sleeping disorder, severe rapid leg movement, that prevents me from sleeping at night without medication. I do have days when I can get by without sleeping, but they are rare. In fact, I am currently on disability because it is impossible for me to work with this constant and chronic fatigue. I have talked to other celiacs that have the same problem, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer yet from the medical field. My GI feels it is related to the Celiac disease, and my endochronologist reminded me that Celiac disease has system wide effects. I have found that I really have to pace myself. I drove my grandson home ( at two hour trip) and then slept for 3 days. I have good luck with reducing my schedule, planning for a nap, and realizing that after a busy time (a trip, visitors, etc) I will need extra sleep. Hang in there. I believe there is a lot they don't know yet. Sylvia

#5 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:59 AM

Lee, have you considered a sleep study to check for apnea or periodic leg movements? If you snore and periodically stop breathing while sleeping, apnea is a good hypothesis. Definitely read up on sleep disorders as you may have a condition besides celiac that is causing this symptom. Good luck!

#6 JoyS

JoyS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:13 PM

Hi Lee
I was glad (in a way) to see your inquiry, although I dont have any answers for you. My husband is newly diagnosed with CS and many of his symptoms differ. He is always tired, particularly in the mornings after he wakes up. When he wakes up he has chills and hot flashes which might be making him tired. He takes a nap in the afternoon, 2-3 hours, and he always feels better then. At night he has leg movements, but he is not snoring at the time, as one other respondant noted. It doesnt wake him up, but it does me.

Other symptoms he has is a generalized rash over the trunk of his body. Does anyone else have this? Does it go away?

I just want to commend you for using this site and reaching out the way you have. You're exploring all the avenues and go on with fulfilling your life. Congradulatons and keep up the good work!

Joy

#7 jeremy'smom

jeremy'smom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 08:01 PM

<_<
Dear Lee-
i read an article on both poor absorption of minerals causing lack of sleep, as well as one on a celiac patient's inabilitly to digest magnesium, and instead secrete calcium. Has anyone heard of either theory? My four year old son has celiac and falls asleep during gymnastics class, my gluten-free husband has to take 3 hr naps as well.
According to my holistic chiropractor, the parts of the body are directly affected by the exact time of day. I suggest you keep a diary of your sleep patterns (when you have trouble sleeping, when you have trouble staying awake and see how they relate to the body. (For example, the intestines are supposedly linked to 1-3am and this is the exact time frame with which i battled sleep issues with my son from his birth on. He wasn't diagnosed until 6 months ago. Also, vitamins, water and exercise (during a non-drowsy time) seem to help Jeremy.
good luck!
brooke

#8 Tori

Tori

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 07:41 PM

I started regaining my strength when I started taking liquid multi-vitamins and "no-shot" sub-lingual vitamin B. Regular vitamins didn't absorb well for me or something. Maybe it would help? I'm new to this too.

#9 smack

smack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:10 AM

I had this problem, I used sleep about 16 hours a day, go to work and then go to bed. It was because my iron was low. I got my iron stores back up through suppliments, but I still tire quite easily sometimes.

Perhaps you should get your iron levels checked if you haven't in a while.

I've heard others say that fatigue is one thing that many celiacs are constantly dealing with. I try to get 8 hours sleep on a regular basis, helps keep the tiredness at bay.

Good luck!
The beatings will continue until moral improves

#10 ham&ex

ham&ex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:15 PM

I too used to be insomniac at night and narcoleptic in the day. I put a end to that by taking iron and vitamin C in the morning and calcium/magnesium at night.
Voilą.

#11 coveowner

coveowner

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

I found that I can sleep 8 or 9 hours at night (up a time or 2 for bathroom) but have a lot of energy during the day. However, I take a lot of vitamins to compensate. My husband, however, who is diabetic, can not stay awake when his blood suger is high. You might want to check your blood suger sometime. Those of us with autoimmune stuff such as whacco -thyroid and celiac disease sometime develop diabetes also. I haven't, but some do.

Rose

#12 tylormom

tylormom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:18 PM

This is my first time posting here, and I have to say, I am very glad to have found this place! I was diagnosed 2 years ago this month. I am once again battling anemia, which I believe is the cause for my constant tiredness. The problem is that I also have difficulty staying asleep at night. I wake up 3-4 times in a 5-6 hour period! That doesn't make for very restful sleep! I haven't found any answers yet. My doctor has tried a number of things... still working on it! I'm interested in hearing more about the vitamins. I am presently on an iron and multiple vitamin supplement.
Thanks for all the information!
Darlene

#13 bluestar

bluestar

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:40 AM

I was diagnosed 5 years ago. My sleep is the only thing that has not improved. I sleep 4 hours a night and have done so for 30 years. Perhaps it is not related to celiac disease. When I get 7 hours of sleep (it does happen every few months) I awake with a new clarity and only then appreciate what it is to get a truly restful nights sleep. I too take calcium, magnesium................. It did help convert my osteoporosis to normal in 1 year, but it did nothing for my sleep pattern. I have resolved to simply accept my sleepless state.
Good Morning. Marc

#14 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:04 AM

Marc, I have read that liver/gallbladder issues can seriously affect sleep quality. This might be something to look into, since anyone who has ever eaten the "standard American diet" can hardly avoid having at least some trouble in this area! I hope you can find some cause for your insomnia, so you can treat it and start getting some healthy, restorative sleep!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#15 bluestar

bluestar

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:24 AM

Thank you Sarah for the reply. As you know celiac disease is primarily a gastroenterological disease with the entire body being affected. So, it would make sense that the liver/gallbladder could be affected in that they are part of the g.i. system. I have, however, been tested for liver/gallblader disease, as should all celiacs. It requires a simple blood test. My tests were normal. I wonder if my sleep pattern could have developed over years as a child with c.d. and that pattern remains. Again, it could be that it has no relation to being a celiac. We have a tendency to attribute all of our problems to c.d. Lastly, I don't eat the "standard American diet". I eat as healthfuly as possible. No junk food.... and I eat only kosher food as well. If people feel limited on a celiac diet imagine limiting it furhter with only kosher food.
Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: