This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Iams And Eukanuba

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

P&G Pet Care Update

March 30, 2007

I went to the Iams website and found this information:

As promised, we are continuing to keep you updated on the Menu Foods recall.

We know the Menu Foods recall has caused concern, frustration and anger among many pet lovers, including many of our own employees and their families. We want you to know that we care deeply, and we continue to take action on your behalf.

We want to comment on the new announcement today (Friday, March 30, 2007) by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) that they have found a substance called melamine in the wheat gluten of recalled products, and not the aminopterin, as earlier suspected by the New York Foods Laboratory.

We can reassure you:

First, there is no melamine or aminopterin in any of our Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods on store shelves.

In fact, Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods to DO NOT contain wheat gluten. Our dry dog and cat foods are made exclusively by P&G Pet Care and not by Menu Foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Thanks for posting this. We use Iam's for our kitty.

psawyer Proficient

To date, no kibble of any brand sold in retail stores has been recalled. There have been two very specific recalls pertaining to veterinary channel products, one made by Hill's and one made by Iams (Eukanuba); these two products are sold only by veterinarians to treat specific special needs.

Menu Foods does not make any dry food. They only make wet food packaged in cans and pouches.

larry mac Enthusiast

Hi Peter,

All the attention has been on Menu Foods, but what about this Chinese company? Are they selling all of their product to Menu Foods? Where is the rest going? Surely more of the contaminated wheat gluten went somewhere.

And have you noticed something else? I follow the news very closely, and haven't heard one single thing from the Chinese company or the Chinese government! Where's their massive effort to identify the contaminate in their supply?

There is just an unbelievable disparagy between countries. Surprise surprise.

best regards, lm

Generic Apprentice

My vet told me a few months back that Iams was bought out by another company and that it wasn't a good pet food co. anymore. He wasn't selling it anymore.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I read an article on msnbc.com today that there is a new re-call on some dog biscuits. Open Original Shared Link They are made by sunshinemills Open Original Shared Link (I can't get the website to pull up right now, must be pretty busy) They are sold under the names "Ol

• 2 months later...
mm&j Apprentice
P&G Pet Care Update

March 30, 2007

I went to the Iams website and found this information:

As promised, we are continuing to keep you updated on the Menu Foods recall.

We know the Menu Foods recall has caused concern, frustration and anger among many pet lovers, including many of our own employees and their families. We want you to know that we care deeply, and we continue to take action on your behalf.

We want to comment on the new announcement today (Friday, March 30, 2007) by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) that they have found a substance called melamine in the wheat gluten of recalled products, and not the aminopterin, as earlier suspected by the New York Foods Laboratory.

We can reassure you:

First, there is no melamine or aminopterin in any of our Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods on store shelves.

In fact, Iams and Eukanuba dry pet foods to DO NOT contain wheat gluten. Our dry dog and cat foods are made exclusively by P&G Pet Care and not by Menu Foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

My understanding is that neither dogs nor cats (or ferrets) are designed to eat grains of any kind, let alone dried up cooked flour from grains.

I feed my dog raw meat (and veggies), so I don't have to worry about industrial contamination. it's not for everyone, but it has really helped make my dog healthier. Cats, especially, do well on raw meat since they are carnivores (dogs are omnivores). Anyone who wants to feed raw needs to look into it - there are considerations. Like any diet, it requires thought.

Also, Innova makes a good brand of dry w/o grains. it's a bit pricey and must be bought at pet stores of repute, but it's pretty good food, and you feed less of it than other foods.

(Raw food is the only way I was able to cure my dog's incessant and asphyxiating farting - honestly, raw food, no smell. the couple times we had to do dry for some or other reason, insane farting.)

Good luck all!

Archived