This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prayer Request

Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

:( Hi, everybody.

Mamaw (Sande) emailed me that she was hospitalized with sudden major thyroid problems. Apparently, her thyroid suddenly became super-hyper, pumping out massive amounts of hormone that sent her heart into afib. I got the feeling from her that the doctors didn't seem to know what's causing this or what to do.

So please join me in some prayers on her behalf. Or post here if you have any clues on why a gluten-free celiac would suddenly develop this.

Thanks so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh my goodness, I will certainly keep Sande in my prayers. I'm off to email her now.

I hope others will have some relevent information on the thyroid problem.

Thanks for letting us know :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I will keep her in my prayers as well. I hope she is doing better.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Sounds perhaps like a thyroid storm. If this is the case, she is exactly where she needs to be - in the hospital.

Open Original Shared Link

I will be sending positive vibes and prayers her way!

Hugs.

Karen

Guhlia Rising Star

She will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please let her know that we are all thinking of her and sending her well wishes.

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm praying for her. :(

Nancy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

ADDING MY PRAYERS FOR SANDE ALSO.

I HAVEN'T READ KAREN'S LINK YET..BUT THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT.

DID RESEARCH FOR MY ENDOCRINOLOGIST ON IT...

YES, SHE'S WHERE SHE SHOULD BE.

WHY...IT HAPPENED OR GLUTEN RELATED? DON'T HAVE A CLUE...

BUT...PRAYERS ARE BEING SENT.

JUDY

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I will pray for her....hope she recovers soon.

If the thyroid suddenly produces large amounts of hormone its called "thyroid storm"....it can be life threatening so its good that shes in the hospital.

Does she have Graves Disease or was she on thyroid hormones? It can happen to people with Graves or people who take more hormone than their body requires.

After I had radioactive iodine treatment for Graves...."thyroid storm" was something I had to watch out for. My thyroid hormones did soar to dangerous levels...I was given some meds which controlled it...I never had a thyroid storm.

Heres some things that can cause it...

CAUSES OF THYROID STORM

Besides surgery, thyroid storm is triggered by radioactive iodine therapy, uncontrolled diabetes, emotional stress, abrupt withdrawal of antithyroid (ATD) medication, excessive palpation of the thyroid gland in hyperthyroid patients, thyroid hormone overdose, pulmonary thromboembolism, toxemia of pregnancy, labor, trauma, acute infection, severe drug reaction or myocardial infection

Open Original Shared Link

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks for letting us know. Please keep us updated.

Best wishes are going out to Sande!

num1habsfan Rising Star

aww poor mamaw!! I'll be thinking of her too!!!! please keep us updated!

~ lisa ~

mommida Enthusiast

I'll be praying for Mawmaw. I hope she is getting gluten free food in the hospital with no cross contamination!

Laura

mamaw Community Regular

Thanks to all of you have prayed for me... PLEASE continue.....

Yes, I did go into a thyroid storm & ended up in ICU.... I have really bad reactions to drugs which continue to play out in my saga....

It appears they do not know what is exactly happening with my thyroid. Three - four years ago I was HYPO, now I'm off the charts HYPER.... I know it is not from Lymes or anything like that. It took days for the docs to find something that would help me settle down the A Fib from the thyroid.

Now , I'm on a beta-blocker ( LOpressor) , they tried betapace but I got a cover your body hive & itch reaction to that... & when I call to tell the doctor what was going on -- he stated that no one is that allergic to drugs!!!! I even had hives on the soles of my feet....

Next drug is Diovan (for bp). : for the thyroid is at first Tapazole.....then I suddenly just sneezing my head off, then I can't close or open my mouth ( swelling in ear , jaw & mouth... I again call the doctors.... nope can't be the drugs.....

I finallly convince the endo doc to take me off the tapazole.... Little but some relief.....The cardio doc puts me on coudamin ( Blood thinner) & endo doc tries PTU for the thyroid....

Three days or so of these drugs my hands,wrists to upper arms goes fire engine red, swollen & the very worst pain I have ever endured... I could not use my upper limbs for several days... so that meant someone had to feed me ( through a straw at first because I couldn't chew with my jaw being so sore) to wiping my pink little butt.. I was so embarrassed...

So after this they put me on predisone ( steroid) which I refused because I already knew I reacted to that..Well I feel like I sold my soul to the devil.. I took the steroid. It did get the swelling to go down but the pain lingers on... so another steroid round whick I'm finishing tonite....

Now I just had bloodwork to try to find out what is causing all this pain... My liver function is now very elevated.... so It could be the combo of meds, the thyroid itself, an infection or anyone's guess at this point...

This has been the most amount of time typing this ,that I have been able to use my hands at all...

all of this & we have booked Disney for a family vacation April 21st. It was supposed to be a family trip with the grandchildren & children from us.Now I'm not sure I will make-it.We have pre-paid everything there even the food & reservations for dining. Our fifth wheel is packed & ready to roll---wished I was....

I truly want to thank Fiddle -Faddle ( Alison) for posting a prayer request on my behalf. I again ask that those of you who believe in faith continue to pray for me at this time..

My faith has lead me thus far & I believe in the power of the almighty.

I will try to post as this continues on.....

blessings to all

mamaw

Jersey Angel--- thanks so much for the private message. I will get back to you as soon as my hands start functioning again. right now this is all I got ---they are killing me....

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You are going through so much, it must be so hard on you and your family. I hope things get better soon. You remain in my prayers.

Krista

AndreaB Contributor

Thanks for the effort to update us mamaw.

We'll keep you and doctors in our prayers as well.

Hopefully you'll still be able to go on your vacation.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

DITO..THE THANKS FOR THE EFFORT TO POST.

OMG..YOU POOR DEAR...WOULD BE NICE IF THE DOC'S COULD LISTEN..

PRAYERS CONTINUE

JUDY

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

DITO..THE THANKS FOR THE EFFORT TO POST.

OMG..YOU POOR DEAR...WOULD BE NICE IF THE DOC'S COULD LISTEN..

PRAYERS CONTINUE

JUDY

I hope things are improving for you. Are you home now?

You need a doctor like House on your case! (In fact, I think thyroid storm was mentioned on one of the House episodes last week...

lonewolf Collaborator

I just saw this - said a prayer for Sande right away. Hope you get better quickly and they figure out how to help you. I hope you get to make it to Disney.

aikiducky Apprentice

I just got back after a week away - I'll keep you in my thoughts as well. I hope they figure out whats going on and that you get better!

Pauliina

BamBam Community Regular

I will say some prayers and put her name on our local prayer network. :)

BamBam

cybermommy Newbie

Saw the first post & immediately thought thyroid storm. The nurse in me was ready to give info about it, but as I continued to read, it looks like you already have good info. So I did what I actually do best - PRAY. I will continue to pray for you & for the guidance of your caregivers.

God Bless,

num1habsfan Rising Star

*more hugs* I cant imagine how how that is for you. I'll continue keeping you in my thoughts until your recovery <3

~ lisa ~

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Everyone,

Here it is April 14 th already. I finally got use of my hands late last night. Who ever said Friday the 13th was bad!!!!

I actually feel sooooo much better but I'm very , very tired. Doctors still don't know what exactly happened to me but it appears the rotten steroids helped me..... I have little pain at present just tired. Doctors said again this could be the high meds they have me on. I haven't heard back from my second bwork with the elevated liver function as yet. Hopefully on Tues.

At this point we have decided not to waste our money & we are going to FLORIDA!!!!!!YEAH, I'm ready for some happy times right now! We are going to take our time & not push things.. I know I can not do a full day of disney without resting. My grandkids understand & they too said they will take a rest with me.. I'm so proud of them for being willing to rest a bit so I can enjoy their pleasure of disney. Ages 9 & 6.....

We have booked all our gluten-free dining so I won't have to worry about cooking....

I think when I get back the doctors will decide to do the RAI on my thyroid. They now will not let me have the thyroid surgery. I'm still concerned about the RAI. I can't help but ponder what will happen to me once they do that...... no going back after that....If only I wasn't sooo sensitive to drugs....

If you all wouldn't mind I would love to have your continued prayers....

Oh I think someone asked what I ate in the hospital.... Not much!!! egg, yogurt, tea for breakfast. ( gluten-free toast that was so hard it could have put out a window) (couldn't even bite into it!!! Lunch was tossed salad. Supper: tossed salad, grilled chicken breast, ice cream.... That is my menu for the total stay... Hubby brought in fruit.....our hospital just doesn't have it yet on the gluten-free diet. I hope (when I'm better) to meet with the dietary staff & let them know there are very good breads available besides the cardboard ,year long shelf life ones...

Again THANK YOU< THANK YOU for the support......

Blessings to one & all.

mamaw

Ursa Major Collaborator

I am glad you are so much better. I hope you'll keep improving and will be able to enjoy your vacation with the kids. I'll be praying.

Glad to hear you are better; I was really worried about you.

Have you talked with Rachel--24 about thyroid stuff? She had the RAI, I think.

Archived