Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Confused About....

3 posts in this topic

I have read in some places that vinegar is safe, some places that it's not, and some places that certain kinds are safe and others aren't. What's the story with vinegar?

Ads by Google:

Everything currently says it is safe for people with gluten intollerance, however, I personally have problems and nobody seems to know why. I have tried 3 different kinds of vinegar all with similar gluten reactions.

Try it and see...

Malt vinegar is not safe and some flavored might not be (for instance Heinz apple cider FLAVORED -- not the real apple cider vinegar -- is not gluten-free). All the rest is gluten-free.

If you tried 3 different vinegars and reacted to all, it's not gluten. Only a very tiny percentage of vinegar is even made from wheat to start with and the odds that all three of these are from wheat are exceedingly small (Heinz, for instance, is from corn). Some people do, however, just have a problem with vinegar.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I will cut dairy out immediately. I have eliminated most processed foods already. I do use a lot of spices. I read labels on everything. It is so overwhelming. Is there a good list of ingredients to look for in cosmetics, soaps, supplements... ? It has been recommended that I take a probiotic, calcium and vitamin D. Do you take supplements?
    • My Celiac symptoms always flare after vaccinations.  I've been gluten free for 6 1/2 years.  I find the vaccine benefit to outweigh the temporary rise in symptoms--even though it is quite annoying. Since you've been gluten free for about a year, it's very likely you need more time to heal.  Just stick with it as best you can .  Keep getting flu shots! I think it's best to think of Celiac as a lifelong "trait" (like having red hair, for example) rather than something you can "fix". You will be OK.  Keep eating simple, healthful foods to help your body heal.  Good luck!    
    • Hello, I've had a pretty rough ride health-wise over the past year due to Coeliac. I posted a few months ago explaining my story: I've seen small, incremental improvements over the past few months (headaches starting to ease, more stomach 'rumbling' instead of just an uncomfortable bloated/full feeling etc.) and have just started back at university which I'm pleased about.  However, progress is painfully slow and I was hoping to have seen more concrete improvements by now. My stomach also seems to affected by the tiniest thing (i.e. I took some ibuprofen and it upset my stomach for a week or so). Is this normal? Any advice/reassurance from others who still had fairly severe symptoms after 6-8 months gluten free would be really helpful. It can be quite tough both physically and mentally sometimes and the 'light at the end of the tunnel' can seem a long way off.   In addition, I had a flu vaccination around a month ago and since then, have had quite bad GI symptoms, headaches and fatigue which seem to occur in 'flares' of a few days before settling and then starting up again a few days later. I think they're beginning to settle down a little more now but just wondered if it's possible that the flu jab could have had this effect due to the severity of my symptoms and sensitivity of my 'system'/stomach post-diagnosis?  I stick to very similar foods on a daily basis because I'm only able to tolerate a bland diet, so I can't put my finger on anything food-related that could be causing this and I'm very careful to avoid gluten and cross-contamination etc (I live at home and prepare meals myself, I don't eat out at the moment and have been 'glutened' once and these symptoms are quite different to that). Has anyone else in the earlier stages of recovery had reactions to vaccinations? Thanks everyone for your support.  
    • It really can be anywhere or any random source, Few tips, as mentioned eat whole foods only nothing processed, Use Freezer paper on your prep surfaces to fix your foods, perhaps gloves in case your touching something else (door to fridge, pantry, computer keyboard, etc) that might have trace gluten residue. Have dedicated gluten-free cooking utensils, pots, and pans. Check your soaps, shampoos, make up and other hygiene products, these might also contain gluten that could be cross contaminating.  I personally had this exact issue and broke down sold everything I had and started new in a new apartment, new appliances, new everything since I was getting sick at least twice a week and could not hold a job. I will link you to the list of gluten ingredients to look out for. Hopefully you can find the cause and not have to go as radical as I did to get relief. It might be something as simple as a spice, or a random product in you house.
    • Thanks for your replies...!  Thanks for all the tips, I am indeed on a caveman diet and trying to figure out what works best. I had rice on Friday and unfortunately did get a reaction (bloating/nervousness), which for now makes carbs a thing of the past. I do indeed do very well on protein and am becoming picky about the ingredients in foods as well. For example I had asparagus the other day but they were packed in citric acid. Little did I know citric acid had sugar. Suffered a severe reaction. All-natural indeed is the only way to go when it comes to curing this thing..  Well, it's a valuable lesson. I never drank enough during my childhood but I'm trying to drink at least a bottle nowadays. It probably contributed to my gut issues.  I'll do my best and see how it goes.  Thanks again, Ken
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member