This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maltodextrin

YankeeDB

YankeeDB Contributor

Hello! I'm newly diagnosed and just venturing into avid label reading as I'm sure all of you are familiar with! Is maltodextrin a no-no? Also, where can I find a good, concise (?) list of all the celiac "poisons" including these more obscure ones?

Thanks SO much for your time and trouble in replying! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest aramgard

Try Celiac.com in the list at the bottom of the site, if you scroll down, you will find a list of additives that are good and one of additives that are bad. Shirley

gf4life Enthusiast

YankeeDB,

here is the link directly to the lists if you have trouble finding them.

https://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_...-03104570713.e4

I've noticed some conflicting into on maltodextrin, but it must depend on the source.

This is what is said in the botton of the forbidden list about maltodextrin:

Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato. This rule does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications. (2) Donald Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the United States Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. On that basis he believes that celiacs need not be too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future. (3) - May 1997 Sprue-Nik News

I hope this helps.

God bless,

Mariann

• 1 year later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am from Canada and just recently recieved information about maltodextrin. Apparently in Canada companies are NOT required to put the source of their ingredients on the label. Maltodextrin can have gluten in it so if you are in Canada BEWARE. Call the company or find/talk to someone who has.

I think this rule is different in the US.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes rules are different here and Maltodextrin must be made from corn or potato. Surprises me though I would have thought Canada would at least be similar with that. Thanks for the info.

flagbabyds Collaborator

the rules are different in different countries, but if you have any questions call the company, even if you think it is gluten-free, call them anyway, because you'd rather be safe than sorry

celiac3270 Collaborator

In food in the US, maltodextrin is always okay. In prescriptions/medication, it is questionable. Outside the US, there are no guarantees.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Yes in Canada it is highly recommended that companies should identify the top allergins that are in maltodextrin on the label but it is not required...

In other words, in Canada don't assume that maltodextrin is safe.

• 2 weeks later...
dkmb Newbie

I was looking at a bag of Lay's Kettle Cooked Sea Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips bought in California. It clearly states at the bottom of the ingredients "Contains Wheat and Milk Products." Reading the list of ingredients one reads "Wheat Maltodextrin". I do not remember reading this on an ingredient list before. My reaction was: What!! A search on the internet produced results that said when the maltodextrin is derived from wheat it will be listed as above or maltodextrin (wheat). My fear had been that maltodextrin might have been listed on some products I purchased in the past without the wheat being identified.

DK

Carriefaith Enthusiast
My fear had been that maltodextrin might have been listed on some products I purchased in the past without the wheat being identified.

If you're in Canada then yes, this may have happened. Unfourtunately.

But to my knowledge, US brands have to indicate if gluten is present in maltodextrin.

gabrielle Contributor

YankeeDB- Thanks for posting this question- Im also fairly new to this, and was wondering the same thing!!

Archived