This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Girlfriend Of Possible Celiac/gi

I3Daniel

I3Daniel Apprentice

Hello,

I came across this forum about a month ago, and it really got me thinking about my boyfriend Daniel. I have done a lot of research (ongoing), and I fear he may be gluten intolerant. We've known each other for about 3 and a half years, and he's been experiencing symptoms of GI/celiac disease at least that long, though I'm sure it's been much longer. I approached him, research in hand, and asked him what he thought, and he was open to the possibility, although he didn't seem to want to jump to any conclusions. About a week ago, he asked me when we're going gluten-free, so I decided we're going to go for it, now that he seems to be totally on board. I told him I would do it with him to make it easier on him, and he promised to give it an honest try.

That part was easy...

I'm trying to make a grocery list, which has never been so difficult. I've gotten a lot of ingredient/product lists online, which have helped a lot. I guess I'm just concerned that it's going to be overwhelming. Right now, we're living with his parents, so we have to share the kitchen, which is one challenge. We also work opposite shifts, so we're only really together a few days a week. I want to make sure there are things in the house he can easily eat when I'm not home, I don't want him to have to cook every meal he eats, and I don't want it to be too hard on him. He's a big snacker, and I'm afraid if there isn't a lot to choose from, he'll start to feel deprived and stop eating gluten-free. I just want it to be as easy as possible for him.

Anyway, I'm shopping tomorrow. There are a few whole foods places around us (Trader Joe's and Sprouts) I plan to check out. If anyone has any advice, or ideas for easy snacks/meals, it would be really greatly appreciated.

It's so nice to know there are people out there who are going through the same thing. This forum is such a wonderful place, and you all seem like very nice people. Thank you so much for all of the information I've already received just from browsing through.

Thanks for the support, and I'm sure I'll be back soon to discuss my first gluten-free shopping trip!

:)

Sami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm glad you found us here. I hope the gluten-free diet helps him.

Sharing a kitchen can be really difficult, but there are tricks you can use to cut down on the possibility of cross-contamination. One is get a plastic storage container and put in things like a new small cutting board, new wooden spoons, maybe even small a small pot and pans, etc. Just all the stuff that he needs to keep seperate. Also either a dedicated area or a small box that you can put in the fridge for things like his mayo, mustard, etc. and the same for the pantry area. That way his parents don't have to worry about accidentally messing something up. Sticking a gluten-y knife in the gluten-free peanut butter makes it no longer safe to use, for example.

As far as gluten-free snack foods there are tons. I could eat for a week off of them. (Not very healthfully though... ;) )

Frito-Lay has a full-disclosure policy when it comes to any allergen and gluten gets lumped into that category even though it's technically not an allergy that most of us are dealing with. If you read the ingredients of a Frito-Lay product and a gluten source isn't listed, it's fine. Here's their current gluten-free list - Open Original Shared Link

Some of my other favorite snacks are:

Mission Tortilla Chips (they have Gluten-Free right on the label, under the ingredients) and salsa

Easy Cheese (remember the spray cheese?) not the bacon kind - great on celery or gluten-free crackers

PB or PB&J on gluten-free crackers

PB on celery or apples

Fruit and veggies to munch on

Kraft ranch dressing is gluten-free. Kraft also has a full disclosure policy, so anything made by them that doesn't clearly state a gluten source is fine.

Hope that helps get you started.

Nancy

I3Daniel Apprentice

Nantzie,

Thank you so much for all of your help! That is all so good to know. Daniel just loves snack foods, so he'll be really happy to know he can still have a lot of his favorites.

I really really appreciate your help. I'm starting a "gluten-free scrapbook" to keep all of this stuff in, categorized by "old foods", "new foods", websites, recipes, etc. It's a lot easier to have it all organized.

I stopped at Trader Joe's tonight, and got their list of gluten-free foods, and one of the cashiers was sooo incredibly helpful, she even gave me a recipe for a gluten free casserole! I'll definitely be going back to TJ's. It was kind of pricey, though. But worth it!

I feel a little better now that I know a little more, and knowing I can still shop at a "regular" grocery store is good to know too!

Thanks, again for all of your help!

D's S

NoGluGirl Contributor
Nantzie,

Thank you so much for all of your help! That is all so good to know. Daniel just loves snack foods, so he'll be really happy to know he can still have a lot of his favorites.

I really really appreciate your help. I'm starting a "gluten-free scrapbook" to keep all of this stuff in, categorized by "old foods", "new foods", websites, recipes, etc. It's a lot easier to have it all organized.

I stopped at Trader Joe's tonight, and got their list of gluten-free foods, and one of the cashiers was sooo incredibly helpful, she even gave me a recipe for a gluten free casserole! I'll definitely be going back to TJ's. It was kind of pricey, though. But worth it!

I feel a little better now that I know a little more, and knowing I can still shop at a "regular" grocery store is good to know too!

Thanks, again for all of your help!

D's S

Dear I3Daniel,

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

Hormel Chili

Hormel Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)

Hormel Beef Au Jus Entree

Hormel Pork Au Jus Entree

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)

Plumrose Bacon

PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)

Beverages:

Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)

Diet Rite

Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)

Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)

Arizona Teas

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice

Some Household Items that are safe include:

Cascade Dishwashing Detergent

All Laundry Detergent

Wisk Laundry Detergent

Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)

SoftSoap Hand Soaps

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Colgate Toothpastes

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Crest WhiteStrips

Colgate Simply White

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. A great place for cake mix and treats is The Chocolate Emporium at www.choclat.com .

I3Daniel Apprentice

NoGluGirl,

Wow! I can't even express how much I appreciate your help! Honestly, wow. I'm just going to print out this post and take it to the grocery store and buy everything! Daniel will be so happy when he sees that he can still have all of this stuff. I really breathed a sigh of relief when I read your post. It feels like it's not going to be so difficult now that I know I have such good information, and such a good resource here on this forum. I feel much less overwhelmed, and I might actually be ready to go grocery shopping!

Really, I can't say it enough, thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

Sami

amybeth Enthusiast

Hi!

This can be an undertaking! You've already received some great advice from previous posts ... Now I forget, did someone mention the toaster thing? Cross contamination from a previously gluten-filled toaster led to a lot of problems for me....

If you want your BF to have some quick, gluten-free, easy meals here are a few suggestions....Of course any brands will work, but I mentioned some Brand Name "regular" items that are also Gluten Free......

Chicken salad (chicken, miracle whip or mayo, + salt/pepper) dipped onto tostitos. Sometimes I cook plain chicken in advance and then mix - sometimes I buy the purdue strips (already cooked, packaged for salads, etc.) I buy the grilled chicken variety - some of the flavored ones are not gluten-free (I think)

Tuna salad (I prefer mine with some crushed pinaapple and cheese melted on top)

Corn thins with Hormel Naturals packaged deli meat (Says gluten-free on the label!) and cheese

Hormel pepperoni and Cracker Barrel Cheese

Hormel microwavable Weiners and Beans - it's a kid's meal, but yummy!

Taste of Thai Rice Noodles (Coconut Ginger, Red Curry, and Peanut are all yummy and gluten-free) They're in containers that look like chinese take-out container shape - in the ethnic food aisle.

Tacos - McCormick Taco Seasoning is gluten-free

If he likes turkey Jennie O's has a list of gluten-free products on their website - I tried a cheese and broc. stuffed turkey breast - it was pretty good

I buy Dr. Schar's pizzarelli crackers and crush them into Pacific Naturals Tomato Soup (Yum!)

Hatfield Ham slices are already cooked - you can heat them quickly in a pan or eat them cold (Like in a chef salad) if you want.

Snacks ---

Doritoes (Cool Ranch flavor is gluten-free)

Cheetos

Baked Lays

Lays Stax

Utz potato chips (Says gluten-free on the back of the bag)

Glutino pretzels are AWESOME! Taste like real pretzels, but less salty.

Edy's "Take the Cake" Ice cream is great - tastes like cake but is gluten-free - only available through August

Breyer's icecream is part of unilever and they will clearly mark all their ingredients on the label

I'll keep thinking - good luck!

PM me if you have any questions.

I3Daniel Apprentice

Amybeth,

What great ideas! Thank you so much. I have read about the toaster and pans and such. I told Daniel we're going to buy a toaster tonight that is specifically for gluten-free foods, and he thought it was a little absurd. He understands the concept, but I don't think he completely understands how important it is to get ALL of the gluten out. I've been the one doing all the research and initiating and organizing the change to gluten-free, and I've shared all of my research with him, especially the things I think are most important. I can't force him to read everything, and I realize it may be a little scary for him, being the one this is physically affecting. I want to make it really easy on him so he doesn't feel like it's too big of a hassle. But, I do want him to realize how serious this is. I just really hope that he takes it seriously, and soon starts to notice himself feeling better. I bought the books "Dangerous Grains" and "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies", and I've been reading and highlighting the important things so he can go through and read the highlights when I'm done.

Only a couple of hours till our first gluten-free shopping trip! I'm a little nervous, but I have a lot of information now, and I feel pretty well prepared. I want to get as much "regular" food as possible so he doesn't feel like he's being completely deprived of everything he enjoys. Wish us luck, and I'll let you know how it goes.

I have one question. I realize that a lot of the symptoms of celiac disease/GI can be embarrassing, and not something he may want to discuss. I know a little about what he goes through, but we've never really gone in depth about much. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, but I want him to know he can talk to me about what he's going through, and I want to be able to ask him if he's noticing any differences or changes. My question is, is it too invasive to ask those kinds of questions? Should I let him just come to me? Should I just come right out and tell him not to be embarrassed and offer to listen if he wants to discuss? Any insight from someone who's been there would be really helpful!

The support I've already received from everyone here is so incredibly helpful. I'm still trying to get Daniel to come on here, but I think he's going to leave it up to me--which is fine with me. You're all so nice! Thank you so much!!

Sami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
Amybeth,

What great ideas! Thank you so much. I have read about the toaster and pans and such. I told Daniel we're going to buy a toaster tonight that is specifically for gluten-free foods, and he thought it was a little absurd. He understands the concept, but I don't think he completely understands how important it is to get ALL of the gluten out. I've been the one doing all the research and initiating and organizing the change to gluten-free, and I've shared all of my research with him, especially the things I think are most important. I can't force him to read everything, and I realize it may be a little scary for him, being the one this is physically affecting. I want to make it really easy on him so he doesn't feel like it's too big of a hassle. But, I do want him to realize how serious this is. I just really hope that he takes it seriously, and soon starts to notice himself feeling better. I bought the books "Dangerous Grains" and "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies", and I've been reading and highlighting the important things so he can go through and read the highlights when I'm done.

Only a couple of hours till our first gluten-free shopping trip! I'm a little nervous, but I have a lot of information now, and I feel pretty well prepared. I want to get as much "regular" food as possible so he doesn't feel like he's being completely deprived of everything he enjoys. Wish us luck, and I'll let you know how it goes.

I have one question. I realize that a lot of the symptoms of celiac disease/GI can be embarrassing, and not something he may want to discuss. I know a little about what he goes through, but we've never really gone in depth about much. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, but I want him to know he can talk to me about what he's going through, and I want to be able to ask him if he's noticing any differences or changes. My question is, is it too invasive to ask those kinds of questions? Should I let him just come to me? Should I just come right out and tell him not to be embarrassed and offer to listen if he wants to discuss? Any insight from someone who's been there would be really helpful!

The support I've already received from everyone here is so incredibly helpful. I'm still trying to get Daniel to come on here, but I think he's going to leave it up to me--which is fine with me. You're all so nice! Thank you so much!!

Sami

Dear Sami,

You are very welcome! We want to make this transition as easy as we possibly can for you guys. The new pans and bakeware are a smart move. Also, getting some of those Gladware of Ziploc containers would be great. They are the best! Plus, they are really inexpensive!

With cross contamination issues, I would like to caution you about some things. Sometimes you can accidentally gluten your boyfriend with your cosmetics or if you kiss him and have eaten gluten. There is a lot to consider. I can save you the trouble of worrying about some manufacturers.

On the forum, a number of people have reported cross contamination from certain companies on more than one occaision. I would be leary of getting any products from Quaker, after all, they are an oat company. Members have become ill after consuming their rice cakes. Lay's Stax are made on dedicated lines, but any other kinds you may want to be cautious with. Amy's Kitchen has made a number of people ill as well on the forum. Their facility does produce some items with gluten. Bob's Red Mill has recently been reported as causing reactions as well. Also, if a package says that the item was made in a facility that produces items with wheat and/or dairy, be careful. It is better to be safe than sorry. I have a very violent reaction, so I must be practically paranoid. You may want Daniel to stop dairy as well, since many of us do not tolerate casein (a protein found in it). He can add it back later. If he tolerates it, he can eat it. Make sure he only eats like a pudding cup or something and does not have any dairy for a few days, as delayed reactions do occur. Then if he is okay, give him the go-ahead.

He may not be very open to talking about his stomach issues. Many guys are not. I would encourage you to just allow him to tell you what he wants. It is good to ask how he is feeling. Don't push too hard, though. That can make them get angry.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I3Daniel Apprentice

NoGluGirl,

I have done quite a big of research, and I have read about my cosmetics glutening Daniel. I rarely wear makeup and don't really like to, so any excuse to not wear it is good :) I checked his moisturizer, Neutrogena Oil-Free for Combination skin, and it looks ok. If you have any info on that, I'd appreciate it. It's difficult to recognize the "hidden" sources of gluten. Obviously, it's easy to look for wheat, barley and rye, but I'm afraid there are things I'm missing. :( I'm going to check my moisturizer today, as well as our shampoo, soap, toothpaste, mouthwash and shaving cream! Phew!

I'm not too worried about glutening him, since I'm eating gluten-free too. The only things I'm really worried about are accidentally glutening him with products with hidden gluten, and cross-contamination happening in the kitchen we share with his parents.

We're doing dairy-free also, because Daniel can't handle it. He has thought for a long time that he's lactose intolerant, but I'm hoping that after a while of eating gluten-free he'll be able to handle it. So, for now, we're taking out all dairy.

Thanks for your advice. I do think I'm just going to continue to generalize by asking him how he's feeling, and allow him to get more detailed if he wants.

Thanks again for all of your support. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this forum!

Sami

ReneCox Contributor

wow I can see that you really care about him by the fact that you are going gluten-free with and are taking the initiative to get started. He is lucky to have you! good luck on the diet!

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Sami,

One site I got some of my info from that stays pretty current is Gluten Free in SD. One thing you did not mention in your post is oats. Watch out for those as well! They contain gluten unless they are the special gluten free ones! Daniel needs to be careful of that as well!

I went to the site to get you a list of safe Neutragena products. Their On-The-Spot Acne Treatment is one of my favorites. I am one of those that cannot stand not to wear make-up, so I am ecstatic about these lists. I need to get some, speaking of. I have not been able to wear any the past six months, and I have blemishes that need covered!

Neutrogena

I3Daniel Apprentice

I'm sure hearing it gets annoying, but thank you so much, everyone!!!! You have all been an immense help! I wish I could do more than just say thank you! I'm sure you can all imagine how I feel, but I just don't know what I'd do without this forum!!

I guess I'm going to have to change moisturizers, so that's good to know. I might just buy all Neutrogena products, this is such an awesome list!

I have been watching for oats. One thing that is getting me is the carmel color, natural flavoring, flavoring, and smoke/hickory smoke flavoring. Do I just need to call the manufacturers for these ones?? At least one of these is in nearly everything! They're in Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Diet Dr. Pepper, but I've read that these are safe...

Again, thanks for all of the support and encouragement! And, keep these ideas coming!!! :) I'm putting a book together so I can keep all of this organized!

Sami

NoGluGirl Contributor
I'm sure hearing it gets annoying, but thank you so much, everyone!!!! You have all been an immense help! I wish I could do more than just say thank you! I'm sure you can all imagine how I feel, but I just don't know what I'd do without this forum!!

I guess I'm going to have to change moisturizers, so that's good to know. I might just buy all Neutrogena products, this is such an awesome list!

I have been watching for oats. One thing that is getting me is the carmel color, natural flavoring, flavoring, and smoke/hickory smoke flavoring. Do I just need to call the manufacturers for these ones?? At least one of these is in nearly everything! They're in Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Diet Dr. Pepper, but I've read that these are safe...

Again, thanks for all of the support and encouragement! And, keep these ideas coming!!! :) I'm putting a book together so I can keep all of this organized!

Sami

Dear Sami,

I need to update something. Someone told me that Hormel Beef Au Jus has made them ill. In fact, two or more people. They have cross-contamination issues. Scratch those and Lay's off except for the Stax. They are made on dedicated lines, but not the other types. Tostitos made me sick recently. I just found this out the other day about the Hormel Beef.

Now, the soft drinks are generally safe. I know that any of the brands on my list, all of the flavorings are safe. If you need some for your own stuff, Durkee says all of their liquid extracts, flavorings, and food colorings are gluten-free! ;) On Gluten Free In SD, they have product updates, which is where I got the list of Nuetragena products. Here is what I found:

Coca-Cola Products

9/06

"We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola classic, Coca-Cola Blak, Coca-Cola C2, Coca-Cola with Lime, Coca-Cola Zero, Barq's root beer, caffeine free Barq's root beer, diet Barq's root beer, diet Barq's Red Creme Soda, Diet Coke Black Cherry Vanilla, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda, Sprite, Diet Sprite Zero, vanilla Coke, diet Coke vanilla, cherry Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Fresca, DASANI Lemon, Minute Maid Light Lemonade, Simply Lemonade, Simply Limeade, POWERade Mountain Blast, and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients) are gluten free.

As you may have noticed POWERade Mountain Blast is the only POWERade flavor that is listed that we can 100% confirm is gluten free.

For all of the other POWERade flavors we cannot 100% confirm that they are gluten free but we can tell you that they do meet Codex's definition of gluten free which is currently less than 200 ppm (parts per million) (0.02%) gluten. Codex is in the process of reviewing this standard and we are monitoring the progress closely. At this time the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory definition of gluten-free.

Additionally, you mentioned modified food starch. You may be interested to know that the usual source of the modified food starch we use is corn.

Also, flavor formulations are very valuable proprietary information, therefore we do not discuss the blend of flavoring materials used by The Coca-Cola Company. Consumers can be assured that all flavors used in products of The Coca-Cola Company are recognized as safe and suitable for use by the local regulatory officials in the countries in which they are sold. The FDA regulates when the term "natural flavors" can be used -- and Coca-Cola products comply with all such regulations. Since Coca-Cola brand product flavor profiles are considered important proprietary information, we are not able to provide the source of any of our flavors.

We hope this is helpful. Thank you for your interest in our brands.

Sheree

Industry & Consumer Affairs

The Coca-Cola Company"

our Gatorade products (Thirst Quencher, Endurance Formula, Energy Drink, Nutrition Shake and Propel Fitness Water) are all gluten free. We understand that individuals sensitive to gluten cannot digest even trace amounts and are concerned about its presence in the products they select. We always try to consider these concerns when developing Gatorade products." From Amy, Gatorade Consumer Response Rep.

Nestl

I3Daniel Apprentice

NoGluGirl,

Oh, that's so helpful!!!!!!! Daniel just loves candy and chocolate, so he's going to be thrilled!!! Honestly, if you were my only resource, I'd be fine! You're a fountain of information. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such valuable information. You, and this entire forum has just been such a blessing!!!

Thanks for the update on previously listed products. I'll definitely go through my lists and cross those ones out. Luckily we haven't bought any of the Hormel Au Jus or Lays. We have had some baked Tostitos, they were left over from before we went gluten-free, but I'll toss those. He'll just have to make do with the stax.

I did check out the gluten free in sd site, and I thought it was great. I found a link there to sparkrecipes.com and found a ton of gluten-free recipes!!! Some of them actually weren't completely gluten-free, but they could be easy to change, and there were a ton that actually used no gluten-containing products! I was excited about that.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Sincerely,

Sami

NoGluGirl Contributor
NoGluGirl,

Oh, that's so helpful!!!!!!! Daniel just loves candy and chocolate, so he's going to be thrilled!!! Honestly, if you were my only resource, I'd be fine! You're a fountain of information. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such valuable information. You, and this entire forum has just been such a blessing!!!

Thanks for the update on previously listed products. I'll definitely go through my lists and cross those ones out. Luckily we haven't bought any of the Hormel Au Jus or Lays. We have had some baked Tostitos, they were left over from before we went gluten-free, but I'll toss those. He'll just have to make do with the stax.

I did check out the gluten free in sd site, and I thought it was great. I found a link there to sparkrecipes.com and found a ton of gluten-free recipes!!! Some of them actually weren't completely gluten-free, but they could be easy to change, and there were a ton that actually used no gluten-containing products! I was excited about that.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Sincerely,

Sami

Dear Sami,

Thank you for the compliments! I had an instructor in college once tell me I was an encyclopedia! :lol: I am an info freak! I am a candy person and a snack food person myself, so I was thrilled to learn some of what we could have! I am going to have to start getting my chocolate from the Chocolate Emporium, because dairy does not set well either. :( I ate two Cadbury eggs yesturday, and now I hurt. Even worse, I got glutened by the Diet Rite because the lid was put where there were crumbs by my inconsiderate parents of course! :angry: I opened the bottle the other day, and drank some and I was fine. Then I got sick after drinking it yesturday, so I knew the culprit. I feel this forum has been a godsend for so many of us. We would all be lost without it!

It is good to know you did not by any of the products with cc issues. I have gotten to the point if something is made in a facility that is not dedicated, I won't buy it or eat it! It is not worth the risk! It is the luck of the draw that way. That is a chance I would rather not take.

Gluten Free in SD is awesome! I really love it, too! This is important info to have. I did not notice the sparkrecipes.com. I should look it up! For some reason, I did not notice it!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. Tell Daniel he can have Skittles, Starbursts, Tootsie Rolls, PayDay, and Snickers, too!

mandasmom Rookie
Dear Sami,

Thank you for the compliments! I had an instructor in college once tell me I was an encyclopedia! :lol: I am an info freak! I am a candy person and a snack food person myself, so I was thrilled to learn some of what we could have! I am going to have to start getting my chocolate from the Chocolate Emporium, because dairy does not set well either. :( I ate two Cadbury eggs yesturday, and now I hurt. Even worse, I got glutened by the Diet Rite because the lid was put where there were crumbs by my inconsiderate parents of course! :angry: I opened the bottle the other day, and drank some and I was fine. Then I got sick after drinking it yesturday, so I knew the culprit. I feel this forum has been a godsend for so many of us. We would all be lost without it!

It is good to know you did not by any of the products with cc issues. I have gotten to the point if something is made in a facility that is not dedicated, I won't buy it or eat it! It is not worth the risk! It is the luck of the draw that way. That is a chance I would rather not take.

Gluten Free in SD is awesome! I really love it, too! This is important info to have. I did not notice the sparkrecipes.com. I should look it up! For some reason, I did not notice it!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. Tell Daniel he can have Skittles, Starbursts, Tootsie Rolls, PayDay, and Snickers, too!

mandasmom Rookie

Welcome--I do feel compeled to mention that many celiacs--me included- do eat products that are made on shared equiqment and in shared facilites--there are a variety of opinions on this issue. You guys will have to make those decisions as you go along...there is definetly a spectrum of choices. Some celiacs never eat in restaurants and others do so nearly every day..try not to get too overwhelmed. I know that I was a bit over zealous at first and made my self (and veryone around me) miserable!!

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...
marriedtoceliacman Newbie

Just to let you know my hubby and I have been together since 2002, when I met him I had no idea what celiac disease was. It has been a wonderful and frustrating experience learning to live with gluten free but it is worth it for the health and well being of your loved one!! We are a young active couple, and we are parents! Do not be discouraged, it is not a life sentence! Enjoy the journey!

emms Newbie

hey,

we just found out that my boyfriend or 2 years, 17, has celiac. at first it was just a gluten intolerance until they did blood work that showed it was celiac. so im really new to all this....he is really confused and we both cant stop thinking about how this sucks. i keep telling him that it will be ok and we will figure all this out but in the back of my mind im about to cry while talking about it.

so im just wanting to talk to someone cuz this is really hard cuz hes a typical guy who loves food lol he doesnt like a lot of fruit and still isnt ready to try all the gluten free foods. so anybody that has tips for me i will gladly take them

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I just want to remind everyone, while I know you love your boyfriends, and you want to speed along the recovery, if they want a daignosis, now is the time to get it, before you go gluten free. Once you start eating gluten free, the tests for Celiac get less effective. If you want to be tested later, you will need to do a gluten challenge, and no one ever wants to feel that bad again. You can be daignosed with just a blood test, some times it's a biopsy. If these boys want a sure fire daignosis, go to the doctor. Tell them you want the panel. Don't take no as an answer.

If the boys don't care about an offical diagnosis, then dietary response may be proof enough for them.

You are both good girlfriends!

Edit: Oops! Emms, I forgot that your has the dx! Sorry!

I3Daniel Apprentice

I haven't been able to visit much in a while, life's been crazy. But, I wanted to say hi to everyone, I hope you're all doing well. And, thank you so much for all of your advice, encouragement, and help. Daniel just got insurance, so he's going to see the dr. soon and get his bloodwork done. He's been eating gluten, and everything's just like it used to be. I just hate that this is "normal" for him. So, hopefully soon we'll be gluten-free again. I'm hoping it will be easier the 2nd time around, I have so much more information now than I did then.

Emms,

Your boyfriend is lucky to have such a caring person in his life. I know it can be really overwhelming, I was just addicted to this site at first, there's so much you can learn from all of the wonderful people here. I would suggest just reading through all that you can on this forum, post whatever questions you have, and try to stick with the foods your bf already eats that are naturally gluten free. You'll be surprised at the "normal" foods he can eat that contain no gluten. NoGluGirl has been immensely helpful to me in supplying great food ideas. And, I haven't tried them all, but Kinnickinick bread is the best gluten-free bread there is. You can order it online (I can't find it in any stores here in AZ), and it's a bit more expensive than grocery store bread, but definitely worth it.

I don't have a ton of experience with living gluten-free, but am more than willing to share what I've learned. Please let me know if you need anything.

Thanks, and good luck to you both.

Sami

emms Newbie
Just to let you know my hubby and I have been together since 2002, when I met him I had no idea what celiac disease was. It has been a wonderful and frustrating experience learning to live with gluten free but it is worth it for the health and well being of your loved one!! We are a young active couple, and we are parents! Do not be discouraged, it is not a life sentence! Enjoy the journey!

wow thats great that made me smile just reading it...it made me feel a lot better about this whole thing just one question do u know if this is hereditary like could my bf's kids have it?

NoGluGirl Contributor
wow thats great that made me smile just reading it...it made me feel a lot better about this whole thing just one question do u know if this is hereditary like could my bf's kids have it?

Dear emms,

This is a genetic disease. It is very likely that your boyfriend's children have it if he does. My mother probably has it, but refuses to go gluten-free. She would rather get intestinal cancer than stop eating at Long John Silver's. Yeah, sure that makes complete sense. :rolleyes:

Dear Sami,

I am sorry Daniel is having a hard time. Hopefully, he will be able to get the bloodwork done soon. Then he can be diagnosed. After that, he can go gluten-free again! He will be on the road to wellness! Keep us posted!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

• 2 weeks later...
bethabetha Newbie

Coca-Cola Products

9/06

"We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola classic, Coca-Cola Blak, Coca-Cola C2, Coca-Cola with Lime, Coca-Cola Zero, Barq's root beer, caffeine free Barq's root beer, diet Barq's root beer, diet Barq's Red Creme Soda, Diet Coke Black Cherry Vanilla, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda, Sprite, Diet Sprite Zero, vanilla Coke, diet Coke vanilla, cherry Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Fresca, DASANI Lemon, Minute Maid Light Lemonade, Simply Lemonade, Simply Limeade, POWERade Mountain Blast, and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients) are gluten free.

I found out today that this is not true anymore. I have been sick for weeks, and it turns out that it was Coke Zero that has been doing it. Coke, in their email, said that their products contain less than 220ppm, but the FDA has defined "gluten-free" as anything under 20ppm. For some people, Coke may not cause a reaction, but for myself and a friend of mine, it causes severe symptoms. The best thing I can recommend is to try it and see what happens.

Good Luck...and I would like to add that I am so glad that I found this forum...you're advice is great, everyone!

barbara123 Apprentice
Coca-Cola Products

9/06

I found out today that this is not true anymore. I have been sick for weeks, and it turns out that it was Coke Zero that has been doing it. Coke, in their email, said that their products contain less than 220ppm, but the FDA has defined "gluten-free" as anything under 20ppm. For some people, Coke may not cause a reaction, but for myself and a friend of mine, it causes severe symptoms. The best thing I can recommend is to try it and see what happens.

Good Luck...and I would like to add that I am so glad that I found this forum...you're advice is great, everyone!

I had bad reaction to coke classic, who would think?

Archived