12 replies to this topic

#1 jennyj

jennyj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

I apologize if this has been asked but does anyone know if the new container of Philadelphia Brand cheesecake filling is gluten free???? It said food starch-modified??? Thanks for any help.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

Due to the 2006 Food Labeling Law, companies are required to disclose if any of their sources are from wheat. So, unless it states wheat, the food starch is safe. Chances are, it is made from corn. (Corn is not an 8 main allergen, so it is not required to be labeled.)

Further, Philly Cream Cheese (etc) is a brand of Kraft. Kraft is a company that goes beyond the Food Labeling Law, and will disclose any source of gluten...will not hide it in MFS, Natural flavors, etc. If the ingredients look safe, then it is!

Enjoy!

#3 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Yes it's gluten-free, and it's good! Who needs crust??

- Lauren

#4 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

Is it good? I always loved the no-bake cheesecake kits, but I expect cross-contamination from the packet of crust crumbs, so I haven't made any in years. I wish this new cheesecake filling came in smaller containers, because I plan to eat it right out of the container and don't want to find myself pigging out on the whole thing!
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#5 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:02 AM

My family tried it and after three teaspoons full (one for me, one for my husband, and one for my three year old) it went in the trash. I generally love no-bake cheesecake, but this just didn't live up to our standards.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#6 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:21 AM

I use the no bake cheescake with no problems at all. I just use a gluten-free graham cracker crust. I throw the regular crust away as soon as I open the box.

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

I use the no bake cheescake with no problems at all. I just use a gluten-free graham cracker crust. I throw the regular crust away as soon as I open the box.

Where do you find gluten free gram crackers? I didn't think such a thing existed. I miss S'mores a lot.

I like to use either Arrowroot Cookies or Enjoy life snickerdoodles for cheesecake crust.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Where do you find gluten free gram crackers? I didn't think such a thing existed. I miss S'mores a lot.

I like to use either Arrowroot Cookies or Enjoy life snickerdoodles for cheesecake crust.

Just have to sneak in here and ask who's in the picture....and are you feeling better?

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

Just have to sneak in here and ask who's in the picture....and are you feeling better?

Lisa

I am feeling much better thanks but still anxious about Thursday.
The picture is my DD and DS at Disneyland. They both have dark glasses and are kind of blurry so hopefully they won't get mad I posted it. But if they do at least then I'll know they visit the site, sneaky Mom move.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#10 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

It is an actual "graham cracker" crumbs for pie crust.
https://secure.kinni...wtype/info.html

And this is one of the brands, can't remember which one this is, I have tried a couple. (I remember one being kinda dense).
http://www.glutenfre...sefs-p-323.html

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:46 AM

It is an actual "graham cracker" crumbs for pie crust.
https://secure.kinni...wtype/info.html

And this is one of the brands, can't remember which one this is, I have tried a couple. (I remember one being kinda dense).
http://www.glutenfre...sefs-p-323.html

Thanks so much, I eat the KinniKinnick bread all the time but have never checked out the web site. I love that company and can't wait to try these. Thanks again.

#12 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:51 AM

I just have to add this... If you place an order with Kinnikinnick online it's $10 shipping throughout the US. I always get the cinnamon rolls, bagels, and chocolate glazed donuts. They're all delicious! And of course, their bread is phenomenal compared to the competition. :)
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#13 BFreeman

BFreeman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:24 AM

Thanks so much, I eat the KinniKinnick bread all the time but have never checked out the web site. I love that company and can't wait to try these. Thanks again.

I made a cheesecake for Easter dinner and experimented for the crust with some rice bran crackers I found at the health food store. I think the brand name was Health Valley; they're square and embossed on the top and have the texture of a firmer shortbread cookie; a little sweet. I crushed them up and the crumbs looked exactly like graham cracker crumbs. One box is about enough for two crusts. Here recipe I used:

Mix one cup gluten-free crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter; press onto 9" springform pan. Beat 2 8-oz. Philadelphia cream cheese, 1 can Eagle milk, 3 eggs, 1/4 tsp. salt until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup lemon juice. Pour over crust. Bake 50-55 minutes until top springs back. Cool and top with gluten-free pie filling (or top with sour cream sweetened with a little sugar and drizzle with the glaze-y part of a can of gluten-free pie filling.)

BF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: