This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergic Reaction Or Not?

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

I went to the doctor on Monday. I have a yeast infection. He gave me diflocan which I took on Monday. Today I notice a rash on the inside of my legs. It doesn't itch. Could this be from the yeast or an allergic reaction to the medicine. I feel like I'm going in circles. He did give me a prescription for something else, if the diflocan didn't work. Said I could also have a bacterial infection. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I went to the doctor on Monday. I have a yeast infection. He gave me diflocan which I took on Monday. Today I notice a rash on the inside of my legs. It doesn't itch. Could this be from the yeast or an allergic reaction to the medicine. I feel like I'm going in circles. He did give me a prescription for something else, if the diflocan didn't work. Said I could also have a bacterial infection. Any suggestions?

Hi, I am assuming you are a female, right? One thing to consider is do you use panty liners? Are they scented? I used to react and get a rash from either the adhesive or the perfumes or something else that they use in them. This might be something to consider. If the doctor thinks you may have a bacterial infection did he do swabs and cultures before saying it was definately yeast or is he just medicating until it either goes away by itself or because he got lucky and picked the right med?

wowzer Community Regular

You are right I'm a female. I don't use panty liners. He did take a culture. The itching has seem to have gone, so I'm hoping the diflocan worked. I so hate take medicine.

MinxyMandy Apprentice
You are right I'm a female. I don't use panty liners. He did take a culture. The itching has seem to have gone, so I'm hoping the diflocan worked. I so hate take medicine.

Hello ..

I am suffering with candida a massive yeast infection and I am waiting to be tested for celiac I did candida diet for 7 months and it didnt work homeopath said there is an underlying problem tahts why yeast wont go...so I ve now been told once i get back on celiac diet to heal tum and do candida diet aswell it will go ..as celiac is the underlying problem..

Consultant said to me about the itching (thrush) to take one tab difflucan..but it didnt work and she said it would probably be because celiacs dont absorb tablets, vitamins etc normally so it wasnt going...

Are you on the celiac diet??

Take care

Mand

wowzer Community Regular

Mand, That makes sense about not absorbing medicine properly. I went on the gluten free diet the beginning of the year. I'm hoping the diflocan worked. I stopped eating yogurt for awhile. I am now trying to eat a yogurt a day. I have read that it is common for this to happen after going gluten free. I have had so many weird drug reactions over the years. Try to avoid taking anything I don't have to. Those suppository yeast infection things don't work at all. In fact they make it worse. I did find out some of the over the counter ones can contain gluten. I hope your homeopath figures out what is causing your problem. It sure isn't fun at all. Keep me posted. Take Care, Wendy

flowergirl Rookie
Today I notice a rash on the inside of my legs. It doesn't itch. Could this be from the yeast or an allergic reaction to the medicine.

Candida overgrowth causes all sorts of allergies and food intolerances Open Original Shared Link so I wouldn't be surprized that your body is reacting strange. Just do your best to get rid of it but I would rather do it the natural way via anti-candida diet etc. I'd steer clear of anti-candida meds if I were you. They don't deal with the underlying problem, they just ease the symptoms. Open Original Shared Link

Regards Flowergirl

MinxyMandy Apprentice
Mand, That makes sense about not absorbing medicine properly. I went on the gluten free diet the beginning of the year. I'm hoping the diflocan worked. I stopped eating yogurt for awhile. I am now trying to eat a yogurt a day. I have read that it is common for this to happen after going gluten free. I have had so many weird drug reactions over the years. Try to avoid taking anything I don't have to. Those suppository yeast infection things don't work at all. In fact they make it worse. I did find out some of the over the counter ones can contain gluten. I hope your homeopath figures out what is causing your problem. It sure isn't fun at all. Keep me posted. Take Care, Wendy

Wowser, I how are you??

Have you still got thrush or has is gone??

JUst wondered I finished my challenge had my biopsy and now looking to tackle candida but cant cut all carbs as I end up fatigued then I get down then I have to physicaly lock myself away from food..lol..

JUst wondered how your doing matey

Xmand

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

Hi Mand, It seems like the yeast infection isn't gone yet. I took another diflocan on Monday. I have this dry rash that came out now too. I just want to know what to do to make this stop. I'm sure that I have other food intolerances. Let me know what your results are on your test. Wendy

• 2 weeks later...
mandigirl1 Enthusiast

hey guys, I have celiac disease and something to ask......can this candida stuff result in female yeast infection???? Im asking because there was a time that I had such female itching, which my DR said was in fact a yeast infection, that I thought I'd scratch myself to death. All kidding aside, it was a very uncomfortable problem that started to intefere with my daily living. My DR gave me a prescription hydrocortisone type cream which helped. Eventually it went away but comes out time to time during my menstrual cycle. I also eat yogurt and dont use anything scented to cause itch.

So, Im wondering, has any other females experienced this, and if so, was it do to this Candida syndrome?????

thanks!

e

loraleena Contributor
hey guys, I have celiac disease and something to ask......can this candida stuff result in female yeast infection???? Im asking because there was a time that I had such female itching, which my DR said was in fact a yeast infection, that I thought I'd scratch myself to death. All kidding aside, it was a very uncomfortable problem that started to intefere with my daily living. My DR gave me a prescription hydrocortisone type cream which helped. Eventually it went away but comes out time to time during my menstrual cycle. I also eat yogurt and dont use anything scented to cause itch.

So, Im wondering, has any other females experienced this, and if so, was it do to this Candida syndrome?????

thanks!

e

Yes! A yeast infection is candida overgrowth in the genital area. You can have candida there or throughout your body. But, a yeast infection usually subsides during mensruation. Check out candia overgrowth on the web for more info. There are some good natual items such as Threelac, Theralac, and others out there that can help. Also stop eating sugar and refined carbs! They feed the yeast.

newlyfree Rookie

My .02...

I've had vaginal yeast infections on and off for 9 years - and when it's on, it's REALLY on, for months on end, and no medication helps.

It wasn't until I discovered my gluten intolerance and cut it out of my diet completely that I started to see relief, but I still had to take some anti-candida herbal pills (that I got from my doc), probiotics (from Whole Foods) and eliminate all refined sugars to see (feel) a real improvment.

And for the first time in years, I do have major improvment, so that's good. :)

I do believe that all these years my system just wasn't able to properly absorb the anti-fungals (prescription or otherwise) that I was taking. Now that my gut is starting to heal, the probiotics and herbs can do their work. The proof is in the pudding (sugar-free and gluten-free, of course)!

The recovery is a slow process, but I'll take slow over none any day!

DestinyLeah Apprentice

I have had a note put in my medical records hat they are NEVER to prescribe Diflucan for me. It turns out that I was malabsorbing it, but at just the right amounts to irritate an already unbalanced system a little more.Every timeI use that med, I get upset stomach and the infection gets worse, even if it is a confirmed yeast issue. I wind up cutting processed sugar, yeast, and dairy from my diet for 3 weeks, then I am fine ( until my next cycle, when I invariably get another infection)

Go back to the doctor. You need to know what is happening here. Good news- there are only a few choices:

1. Allergic reaction- swap meds

2. Yeast infection in skin- dietary restrictions and new meds

3. Bacterial infection- Antibiotics, probiotics, anti yeast meds, dietary restrictions, and general feeling of malaise for 2 weeks while this is going on

But it sounds like the moisture and heat of that part of your body have made a great home for the yeast that was already in the area, causing a skin rash. You can also get these lovely yeast rashes in the small of your back, underarms, backs of your knees, under the breasts, and anywhere else that stays moist (sweat?) and folded, such as a crease in the skin or folding at the joints (knees when seated).

Hope you feel better soon- those itch like the devil and are no fun to treat.

Oh- throw your undies out and get new, all cotton ones, the less dye in the fabric the better. Wear loose clothing for a while, and avoid man-made fabrics. Loose skirts or jeans (made from cotton or at the very least a cotton blend) are great for the time being.

wowzer Community Regular

I do wear 100% cotton underwear. I do have to dress up for work. I can't wait until May 15. No hose until September 15. It is really hard to get dress cotton pants. I wash my clothes in unscented laundry detergent and don't use fabric softener.

Guest AlabamaGirl
Eventually it went away but comes out time to time during my menstrual cycle. I also eat yogurt and dont use anything scented to cause itch.

This could be candida but I also had itching -- only during tom (time of month). Doctor said no sign of yeast. I also had some slight *rectal* itching that I attributed to hemorrhoids that I assumed didn't heal after birthing two children. (Sorry if this is too much info!!) None of this went away even after a year gluten-free.

However ...

Only one week into a casein-free diet -- ta-da!

no itching ... not at all. Totally in the clear down there!!!

(Gosh, I hope no males are reading this post...)

I'm thinking your itching could be candida or it could be due to another food issue???

Sigh, don't you love being a food detective??? ugh.

Hope this helps!

wowzer Community Regular

I know, that is what I feel like. Ate a baby banana and my throat immediately itched. I 'm sure that I have other food intolerances. I guess giving up gluten wasnt' enough. I had such a great improvement. I'm hoping that I can maybe get the RAST test and get some idea of what could be the problem. Thanks again for all your help.

Archived