6 replies to this topic

#1 es2443

es2443

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Is there a difference between guar gum and xanthan gum? I made chocolate cheesecake brownies today and they are too doughy, not cakey or fudgy. The recipe said to use guar gum and I used xanthan gum because I couldn't find guar gum, so I am wondering if that would make a difference.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

Is there a difference between guar gum and xanthan gum? I made chocolate cheesecake brownies today and they are too doughy, not cakey or fudgy. The recipe said to use guar gum and I used xanthan gum because I couldn't find guar gum, so I am wondering if that would make a difference.

e,

I haven't seen a difference in my muffins. I was using 1 tsp Zanthan gum per 2 cups flour blend. Started getting low on Zanthan gum and so switched to 1 tsp Guar gum & tsp Zanthan gum. Zanthan gum is generally perceived to be superior. Guar gum is less expensive. The books warn that Guar gum is high in fiber & so can have a laxative effect in some people. I believe they can be used interchangably.

I'm not the expert, but perhaps you didn't use enough. Was the batter the consistency of cake batter? Did it rise properly?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#3 DebbieInCanada

DebbieInCanada

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

first the science (info from http://www.wisegeek.com)

xanthan gum derives its name from the strain of bacteria used during the fermentation process, Xanthomonas campestris. The bacteria form a slimy substance which acts as a natural stabilizer or thickener. The United States Department of Agriculture ran a number of experiments involving bacteria and various sugars to develop a new thickening agent similar to corn starch or guar gum. When Xanthomonas campestris was combined with corn sugar, the result was a colorless slime called xanthan gum.

Guar gum can best be described as a natural food thickener, similar to locust bean gum, cornstarch or tapioca flour. The guar plant, also known as a cluster plant, grows primarily in Pakistan and the northern regions of India. The plants are harvested after the monsoon season and the seeds are allowed to dry in the sun. The seeds are then manually or mechanically separated and processed into a flour or sold as split seeds.

I react to Xanthan gum, and I believe it is due to the corn products in it. I have read that Xanthan gum can come in different strengths, and can be significantly stronger than guar. So depending on the type you have, xanthan might not be substituted 1 - 1 for guar.

So, I don't know if that explains why your brownies weren't fudgey, but there is some info on guar and xanthan.

Debbie
Gluten free since July 97
corn free since Jan 98
Never diagnosed by a Doctor
Symptoms cleared on gluten-free diet
Mom and one sister are also gluten-free
One sister with type I diabetes (diagnosed at age 10)

#4 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:26 PM

In a cookbook I have it says to make bread fluffier, add 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1 tsp baking powder.

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#5 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

It's a 1:2 ratio... Use half as much guar if you are substituting.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:58 AM

From what I've read, guar gum gives a texture that is more suitable for cakes than xanthan gum. Though in most cases they can both be used interchangeably, the exact amount may vary. It depends on a few factors, such as the granularity of the guar gum. I'm sure xanthan also varies from brand to brand, but not ever having used it I haven't looked into it.

One thing for sure, guar gum is less expensive.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

I always use xantham gum, mostly because that's what I started using in the very beginning. It works well for me in all of my recipes. I know that doesn't help much, but i've never had a problem. I also rarely measure my xantham gum. I've found that baked goods turn out well so long as I have the measurement somewhat close to normal, generally 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoon per cup of flour mix.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: