This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Challenge..suddenly Loads Of D Really Worried..

MinxyMandy

MinxyMandy Apprentice

:(

Hi all hope you are all okay..

I am having biopsy Tuesday and I am worried as I feel really bad ..I have been eating it again for 5 weeks and Ive started getting major D straight after eating..do you think this means I am alot more damaged than I was???

I feel so ruff fatigue, sore eyes, depressed, massive belly, tounge is sore and keep gettig bad breath, sickness..feel like I have got a massive hangover like never had before...

I am just a bit worried but only two more days to go then back on the diet I cant wait ...

x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

There is no direct, linear relationship between symptoms and amount of damage in celiacs. So, the answer becomes "you can't know without the biopsy". As you've just got a few more days left, and if you really want a doctor-determined 'answer', then I'd stick with it for those few more days, and get the test done. If you don't care about a doctor-determined 'answer', then I'd cancel the biopsy and go gluten free now.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I agree with previous poster but I think you have one more option. You are only a couple days from the scope, a third option would be to stop the gluten and get the scope done anyway if you really need a doctor confirmation. I doubt you will heal enough in 2 days for it to imact the results too strongly, but I could be wrong on that. From the sounds of the way you are feeling no matter what the outcome of the scope you should get back on the diet.

MinxyMandy Apprentice
I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I agree with previous poster but I think you have one more option. You are only a couple days from the scope, a third option would be to stop the gluten and get the scope done anyway if you really need a doctor confirmation. I doubt you will heal enough in 2 days for it to imact the results too strongly, but I could be wrong on that. From the sounds of the way you are feeling no matter what the outcome of the scope you should get back on the diet.

Thanks guys for responding. I know I must sound mad to go through it but I need to know and they wont look into any celiac other conditions unless I get diagnoses. I suffer candida and if they diagnose celiac they will prescripe me nystain to kill candida. I need to know as its a life long change for my own peice of mind.

I am also suffering with facial swelling really puffy face cold feet etc not sure if its celiac or thyroid but one thing at a time ..I sound like I am 80 yrears old..ha ha ha..

At the begining I thought mm enjoy bread whilst you can but now uugghhhh hate it now and chocolate posion thats what it is !!!

Thanks again I 'll post when I have some news of biopsy..

KIndest regards

Mandx

mamabear Explorer
Thanks guys for responding. I know I must sound mad to go through it but I need to know and they wont look into any celiac other conditions unless I get diagnoses. I suffer candida and if they diagnose celiac they will prescripe me nystain to kill candida. I need to know as its a life long change for my own peice of mind.

I am also suffering with facial swelling really puffy face cold feet etc not sure if its celiac or thyroid but one thing at a time ..I sound like I am 80 yrears old..ha ha ha..

At the begining I thought mm enjoy bread whilst you can but now uugghhhh hate it now and chocolate posion thats what it is !!!

Thanks again I 'll post when I have some news of biopsy..

KIndest regards

Mandx

Mandy,

You have a positive gluten challenge! But why would you stop 3 days before the biopsy when you've suffered for 5 weeks already?? Believe it or not, things can start to improve in the gut within 3 days. It probably cannot be done any sooner now than Tuesday, so I would wait on the gold standard diagnostic test . But I'd have my gluten-free diet lined up and waiting ASAP !!! Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Mandy, I hope you realize that usually five weeks are not enough to destroy your villi again and to get a positive biopsy (four to six months is what most GIs will order, and even that is usually not enough). So, please, even if the biopsy is negative (which is likely), get back on the diet as soon as the biopsy is done. Because you are OBVIOUSLY gluten intolerant, or you wouldn't be so sick now!

flowergirl Rookie

I am sorry to hear you are suffering Mandy but you've made the choice to do the gluten challenge and you're almost there. So hang in. It sounds like the candida have you hooked big time. I hope you can get rid of it soon as I suspect that could be your primary problem. Candida overgrowth leading to leaky gut can cause food allergies and food intolerances Open Original Shared Link

I am very interested about your puffy face symptoms. I've lost so much weight since going gluten-free but somehow that "fat" look I had in my face before gluten-free, is still there. Im puzzled but it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived