This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten... Its In Everything!

campcour

campcour Apprentice

i am finding out more and more that having celiac disease really is a lot more than being careful with foods. it is starting to really get me down. i am starting to examine my hair products, lotions, etc and many have wheat listed on the bottles. then others don't bu ti have no clue what most of hte ingredients are, so i don't know if they are safe or not. i don't have the skin condition associated with celiac, but feel i shoudl just be careful and convert to all gluten free products in every aspect of my life. something that i was trying to find out about was clinique oil free mosturizer b/c it is the only one that i can use on my face that doesn't make me break out, and this is the email they sent back:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Clinique.

Enclosed is the ingredient list that you requested. We trust this will

answer your question, however, please do not hesitate to contact us should

you require additional information.

We appreciate this opportunity to have been of assistance. We look forward

to having you visit the Clinique counter or our website in the near future.

Sincerely,

Naomi Avila

Global Consumer Communications

Skin Texture Lotion

ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified [] butylene glycol []

tridecyl neopentanoate [] propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate []

laureth-23 [] tocopheryl acetate [] malvaceae (hibiscus rosa-sinensis)

extract [] hydrogenated palm glyceride [] matricaria (anthemis nobilis) []

retinyl palmitate [] sodium hyaluronate [] modified heteropolysaccharides

[] ceteareth-20 [] bis-diglyceryl polyadipate-2 [] myristyl alcohol []

dimethicone [] ppg-33 butyl ether [] myristyl myristate [] stearyl alcohol

[] tromethamine [] ppg-40 butyl ether [] isostearic acid [] carbomer []

stearic acid [] trisodium edta [] sodium dehydroacetate [] phenoxyethanol[]

imidazolidinyl urea [] methylparaben [] propylparaben [] butylparaben

<iln11358>

does anyone see any ingredients in this list that are not "safe" i just need some reasurrance that it woudl be okay to use. i am going to find out about my fav lotions for body... back to basics and O.P.I. the ingredients on the bottle appear to be safe, but i will try to contact the companies and will post to let you all know what i come up with. the emails and phoning companies never seems to end! i am getting so tired of it :angry: but i will keep on truckin!

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

yhalifax Newbie

For Celiac Disease you only need to be concerned about what is ingested. Since it's not an "allergy". The damage is all done in the small intestine.

Shampoos, lotions etc that contain wheat are fine.

The only thing I would be concerned of are lipsticks. If they contain gluten it may get ingested.

Good luck :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

That is actually not true. Lotions shampoos etc can still get into your mouth. Do you ever put on lotion and then go eat ? Lotion can get on your hands and under finger nails and then on into your mouth. It is an easy way to contaminate yourself. I know most people also open their mouths in the shower, a little of the water with shampoo gets into your mouth and contamination again. It's better to be safe than sorry.

-Jessica

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) so true jessica---we do have to be so careful--many celiacs who do not have DH will still have problems with headaches after washing their hair with shampoo that contains wheat and i thin we all get a certain amount of water in our eyes and mouth when showering :rolleyes: --it does matter that we use gluten-free products--as i have posted before--i used shampoo to wash my car and got some on my legs--not even thinking about the wheat then :angry: --i broke out in hives and i do not have DH----so, yes--gluten-free all the way :) deb
  • 2 weeks later...
azedazobollis Apprentice

My six year old sucks on her fingers sometimes and chews on her hair. Absolutley Ive made sure she's not wearing nailpolish or using shampoo with gluten. I think it matters.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Yes, i think it matters, too. I'm one of the persons who gets water in the mouth in the shower... :rolleyes: And I already had it happen, when i put cream on my face for skin care and then i drink a glass water afterwards that it tastes like that cream, because when you put your mouth to the glass, the water reaches over your lip, and there's cream also...

Stef

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Did you ask them for a gluten-free product list or just the ingredient list? It would be easier to have them tell you what is gluten-free then trying to figure out what all that stuff is.

I think it's important to use gluten-free products as well as gluten-free food. Just look at all the people on here who have reactions to gluten-free products they don't injest!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've read over the ingredients and the list looks ok to me. I would still use the product.

From personal experinece it is important to have gluten free shampoos/conditions/lotions/suncreeen/lip gloss or whatever could potentially make it into your mouth. I've made a few mistakes and once I reacted to gluten in a suncreen that I was using.

Don't let this get you down though. Just buy products with a very clear ingredient list and if no gluten appears on the list than it should be fine :)

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hello medaka, that's interesting :rolleyes: , i didn't think about that at all. What sunscreen are you using?

Stef

Carriefaith Enthusiast

It was a neutrogena suncreen that I reacted to. They only listed their medical ingredients on the bottle. I used it a few times on my face and each time I noticed a GI reaction. I then searched the net and found that the non-medical ingredients included oat extract. I am assuming that was the culprit.

I now use Banana Boat suncreen which to my knowlege is gluten-free.

• 4 months later...
Anne Downs Newbie

While using Mode de Vie Shea Butter Shampoo with Vanilla, I got an immediate reaction--deep hacking cough and sudden extreme fatigue. (I did not get any in my mouth, in fact I got a reaction the following day from the scent when I picked up the bottle to recheck the label).

I contacted the distributer to find out what is in the "essential oils and fragrances" --she called the French company and was told that they don't know. The vendors who supply these ingredients to the manufacturers are not required by law to divulge them. So we, the consumers, are in the unfortunate position of reacting to one or more of the 5000 ingredients used in cosmetics and having no way to find out which ones are making us sick.

Before purchasing the shampoo, I had read all the labels in the health store and this was the only one without gluten or soy listed.

Is there any group that is trying to get the cosmetics industry to put complete labels on their products? THeir "self-regulation" obviously is not in our interest.

Anne

mytummyhurts Contributor
It was a neutrogena suncreen that I reacted to. They only listed their medical ingredients on the bottle. I used it a few times on my face and each time I noticed a GI reaction. I then searched the net and found that the non-medical ingredients included oat extract. I am assuming that was the culprit.

I now use Banana Boat suncreen which to my knowlege is gluten-free.

It makes me mad and totally doesn't make sense to me that OTC medications and some products only have to list "active ingredients." What's up with that? Do they not think the other stuff is important that we are ingesting? And with all the allergies out there?

Guest BERNESES

I'm finding the same frustrations as you. It is in everything! My husband just forwarded me this link from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Open Original Shared Link

I'm getting so frustrated. Just when I think I've gotten it down, something goes wrong. Like today, i ate tomato basil hummus and literally like 5 minutes later thought I was going to vomit and had those good old gluteny poops! I am so angry. Nowhere on the label does it say anything that even remotely sounds like gluten and I carry the list of forbidden ingredients everywhere I go. It's really hard sometimes and what upsets me most is I know the damage I'm doing to my body.

As far as cosmetics go, I would say it DEFINITELY does matter. I had ear drops for an ear infection that contained gluten andv actually made my infection worse. I've had an itchy scalp for weeks after using a shampoo with wheat in it just once. I broke out in a horrible rash from Eucerin with oats in it. I just switched to a gluten-free nailpolish- HoneyBee gardens.com makes it. I just got it today so I'll keep you posted on how I like it. The good thing is it's water based so it and it's remover have no horrible odor. We'll see how it goes. Hang in there, Beverly

debbie-doodles Contributor

is it a concern to put nail polish with gluten on it on the toes? It won't get in the mouth, but will it soak into the skin?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The only thing skin wise you need to be concerned about is if you have DH and then you would need gluten-free everything. Also medical patches are made to have it specifically absorbed into the system and can cause problems if they are not gluten-free.

As for nail polish, if you do not have DH then I wouldn't worry about it. It's a concern with nails because of preparing food...you don't do that with your feet so you should be fine :D

Guest gfinnebraska

When I first started reading this board, I would often go home crying... I read it mostly at work. It seemed like every day I was learning something new that I was doing wrong, or finding more and more things that had gluten. Hang in there. After a while you will find the products you like best that are gluten-free, and being contaminated will become a thing of the past. Unfortunately there are always ways to get gluten accidentally, but it does get less frustrating with time. I haven't had to cry my way home in a few months now!! :D Good luck!! :D

Guest BERNESES

Kimberly- i think you're right. I've made a poloicy that I will not eat or put on my body anything that lists an ingredient I don't know. I used to love Clinique but I chucked it all out in favor of stuff that I KNEW was gluten-free. Expensive, but in the long run worth it. If anyone wants to know what I use for cosmetics, I'd be happy to list them. I'm leaving today for ten days but I'll be back on the 29th. basically a lot of Neutrogena, some Burt's Bees and some Lancome. Oh and OPI nailpolish on my toes but Honey Bee gardens on my finger nails. Hang in there, it's trying, Beverly

jenvan Collaborator

Please forgive the length here :blink: but perhaps this list of derived ingredients might help you identify harmful ones in the future. I included the others as well b/c some people have issues with them:

SOY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) EXTRACT

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) FLOUR

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) PROTEIN

HYDROGENATED LECITHIN

HYDROGENATED SOY GLYCERIDE

HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN

LECITHIN

MIXED SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS

PEG-5 SOYA STEROL

PEG-10 SOYA STEROL

PEG-16 SOYA STEROL

PEG-25 SOYA STEROL

SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS

SOY STEROL

SOYBEAN EXTRACT

SOYBEAN OIL

SOYBEAN PHOSPHOLIPIDS

SOYBEAN STEROL

TOCOPHEROL

TOCOPHERYL ACETATE

TOCOPHERYL LINOLEATE

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX

BARLEY EXTRACT

HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT

PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE

HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL

HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH

HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

WHEAT AMINO ACIDS

WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT

WHEAT GERM EXTRACT

WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES

WHEAT GERM OIL

WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

WHEAT PROTEIN

WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT

TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS

TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT

TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL

RICE DERIVED INGREDIENTS

HYDROLYZED RICE EXTRACT

ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) BRAN OIL

ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) STARCH

ORYZANOL

RICE BRAN OIL

RICE STARCH

YEAST DERIVED INGREDIENTS

CERAMIDE 2

CERAMIDE 3

MAGNESIUM-COPPER-ZINC GLYCOPEPTIDES

MAGNESIUM/IRON/ZINC/COPPER/SILICON/GLYCONUCLEOPEPTIDES

MAGNESIUM-SELENIUM-COPPER-ZINC GLYCOPEPTIDES

SILICON-ZINC-COPPER-IRON-MAGNESIUM YEAST GLYCOPEPTIDES

SACCHAROMYCES CALCIUM FERMENT EXTRACT

SACCHAROMYCES/COPPER FERMENT

SACCHAROMYCES EXTRACT

SACCHAROMYCES LYSATE EXTRACT

SACCHAROMYCES MAGNESIUM FERMENT EXTRACT

SACCAROMYCES/MAGNESIUM FERMENT HYDROLYSATE

SACCAROMYCES/POTASSIUM FERMENT HYDROLYSATE

SACCHAROMYCES ZINC FERMENT EXTRACT

YEAST EXTRACT

YEAST PROTEIN

CORN DERIVED INGREDIENTS

ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYL SUCCINATE

ASCORBIC ACID

ASCORBYL PALMITATE

CARAMEL

CORN FLOUR

CORN OIL

CORN STARCH

CORN STARCH MODIFIED

CORN (ZEA MAYS) OIL

HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL

SODIUM ASCORBATE

ZEA MAYS (CORN) KERNEL EXTRACT

OAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AVENA SATIVA (OAT) FLOUR

AVENA SATIVA (OAT) KERNEL PROTEIN

OAT (AVENA SATIVA) EXTRACT

OAT BETA GLUCAN

OAT EXTRACT

OAT FLOUR

SODIUM LAUROYL OAT AMINO ACIDS

Guest gfinnebraska

THANKS Jen!! That is a great list... I just wish when you bought a lipstick, there was an ingredient list!??!!! Picking up a tube and wondering, "Hmmm... gluten or not??!!" just doesn't work!! I wear L'Oreal, but I am not sure if it has wheat in it...

living in a small town my choices are limited on such things. This list will help in the future with items that DO list ingredients. A big thank you!! :)

jenvan Collaborator

Glad it will help you out Kimberly!

I always love your avatar with that ilttle dog wagging its tail :D

Archived