This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello From Md

Ed-G

Ed-G Newbie

Hello, I am from Maryland and have had celiac all my life. I've been to this site before but haven't posted much. I'm looking to chat with others with similar experiences and to get a different outlook on things. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Welcome to the board Ed. There is always someone here ready to help or who needs help. Chat away!!!!

Guhlia Rising Star

Hi Ed. I'm from PA. I was just diagnosed 3 years ago, but I have been sick all of my life.

Ed-G Newbie

Hi Guhlia, I hope you are feeling better. I've had celiac disease since birth. While I've had little abdominal pain, I always had gas, diarrehia (sp?), and an inability to gain weight."

luda Newbie

Hi! I'm from MD too. New on the forum but I've learned more browsing this site for one day than I have talking to doctors!

Anne AMP Apprentice

Does anyone know of a good GI doctor in Maryland? I am in desperate need of help. Down to 94lbs and my doctors - four of them don't know what to do.

happygirl Collaborator

One of the world's experts on Celiac is in Baltimore. Dr. Alessio Fasano.

www.celiaccenter.org

Call his clinic and get an app't set up. 410-328-6749 & 1-800-492-5538

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kevsmom Contributor

Hi Ed,

I'm from Westminster. I have been in touch with Carroll Hospital Center several times asking them to form a support group. The first two times they told me "We don't need anything like that in Carroll County". The last time that I spoke to them, they said that they would consider it, but it would take a long time to set up, if they were going to do it they would want to do it right. I have been attending a group in Gettysburg. They are having a meeting on Monday, May 7th. They have been having other activities as well. On April 28th there is going to be a gluten free luncheon. Also - FYI there is a new Martin's Grocery Store in Eldersburg that carries a lot of gluten free food (reasonably priced). They have their own nutritionist on staff!

If you're interested in the activities in Gettysburg, or if you just want to chat - please feel free to pm me.

Cindy

Ed-G Newbie

Hi Luda, nice to meet you. I do understand how you feel. Except for a pediatrician (long ago) who heard of celiac and was hoping whatever I had wouldn't kill me, I learned everything on my own and through relatives. I was still ignorant of how this thing affects me as of about eight years ago.

Ed

PatBrown Newbie

Ed, I dont know where Manchester, Md. is but I live in Northern Virginia and go to the dentist near F foods. I found a nice frozen pizza for 2.99 and yummy cookies. They also have gluten-free vitamins and lots of mixes. Other places that I shop in just have dribs and drabs.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Ed, Welcome to the site

I am from PA. Close to MD though. Did you ever try anything from the grainless baker. Very good!!!

Ed-G Newbie

Pat, Manchester is in Carroll County, about 12 miles away from the PA border. I don't know much about Virginia, but I do know of a Whole Foods in Baltimore. That place is great.

Ed-G Newbie

Manda, I haven't visited them. Is it in southern PA?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Actually they are a PA company who sell homemade baked goods to stores in different states surrounding PA.

www.grainlessbaker.com

If you know where Hunt Valley is you can go to Wegmans, they put gluten free on their store brand products and they are very good about food allergies special diets.

gdobson Explorer

We are going to Baltimore next month for the Celiac 5k. Can anyone suggest any place to eat dinner?

Lauren M Explorer
We are going to Baltimore next month for the Celiac 5k. Can anyone suggest any place to eat dinner?

The Great Sage in Clarksville is wonderful! I highly recommend them:

Open Original Shared Link

If you look at their menu, you see that they make many accomodations for a gluten-free meal. Delicious!!!!

- Lauren (who will also be at the B-more Making Track for Celiacs 5k!)

gdobson Explorer

Cool! Thanks - We will definitely check it out!

• 2 months later...
GF-WF Dee Newbie

Hi, I'm from Hampstead, Maryland. Myself and two of my sons are Celiac. I live @ Wegman's in Hunt Vally. They have a very nice wf/gluten-free selection. I spend so much time there they offered me a job in the wf/gluten-free section. There are alot of products that they don't carry that I can only find on line.

I was reading some of your replies. The woman that lives in Westminster that was trying to get carroll county hosp. to have meeting. Well the few times I have been to Carroll County Hopsital they have almost killed me with the food they tried to give me. No one in the kitchen had any idea what to do. I just had a baby and had to send my husband out to the health food store to get me something to eat.

I been on a gluten-free diet for years now and I still mess up sometimes. There are times I eat something wrong I can't figure out what it is. It's hard to keep up. I hope things are well for you. I would love to chat.

Take care,

WF/gluten-free Dee

PB-J-Celiac Newbie
Hello, I am from Maryland and have had celiac all my life. I've been to this site before but haven't posted much. I'm looking to chat with others with similar experiences and to get a different outlook on things. Thanks.

Hi Ed,

I dont live in Maryland anymore, but I just graduated from University of Maryland and after 4 years there I do have one place you might like to try. Its a small restaurant in Rockville, MD (down towards to southern tip, by DC in Montgomery County) called Lillit Cafe (I think that's how you spell it). Anyway, they have a list of sandwiches that are to die for, and they also sell products like breads and desserts. They are also trying to organize an awareness group and have specials at the restaurant for just celiacs. Dont know how close you are to that area, but if you're ever in that area, you should give it a try. Good luck.

James, NY

WHinNOVA Rookie

Welcome Ed. I'm nearby in northern Virginia.

WH

• 1 year later...
mamaesq Rookie

Wow, there are a lot of us on the Rt. 30 corridor! I am 6 days into being gluten-free as my mom and I were diagnosed last week. I suspect my almost 4 year old son is too, I had him down to see Dr. Fasano last week, but at the time I didn't know my results and he hasn't fallen completely off the charts yet. Dr. Fasano is doing a wait and see, he wants me to try to treat his constipation and if that doesn't help, then he's going to start evaluating for celiac. I imagine that since I just found out that I have the DQ2 gene that he'll want to do something when we go back in December. He's only 31.7 lbs, and at his 3 year appointment in November he was 30.4 lbs. My husband and I are little, but he should be gaining more than that in 11 months.

Anyway, enough about me. I am surprised that Weis has a half decent gluten-free section, although the one in Westminster is nicer. If anyone was at Weis on Sunday morning, I was the woman walking around the store sobbing because I was so overwhelmed!

Stacy

Archived