26 replies to this topic

#1 HawkFire

HawkFire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

I'm concerned about MSG and all of it's relatives. I was on my new favorite site, http://www.truthinla...densources.html

and saw that Pea Protein is another way of saying MSG. I know I've seen pea protein in my home. So, I looked around. I found my KINNIKINNICK products!!!! have Pea protein. I emailed them and asked directly. No response. Anyone know? I'd hate to lose my Kinnikinnick, but happy to lose it if they've poisoning my family all this time. I'm kind of steamed, but am trying to wait for that response from them.

Edit- I've been looking around my cupboards. Seems there's a lot of pea protein in kinnkinnick's products. Could be that "GLUTEN FREE NEVER TASTED SO GOOD" because it's loaded with MSG like proteins? I'm going to be breadless if this is true. I'm so sick of bothering with the msg and it's evil relatives. They're everywhere.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

I think I've seen that. I have pea fibre flour in my freezer from gluten-free Pantry I think. I haven't used it (not sure about intolerances) and don't know whether that would be included with that or not.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

I don't know but kinnickinnick makes me so sick! If people who feel great all the time eat it and still feel great, well that's awesome :) I know there are a lot of people here though trying to determine the cause of severe, mysterious reactions and some of those people eat kinnikinnik daily. I think there's something in it that's not good for some people.

My local health food store refuses to carry kinnikinnick because the ingredients are not natural enough....so...you might be onto something :(
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#4 HawkFire

HawkFire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

I don't feel badly after eating Kinnkinnick. I am trying to avoid Neurotoxins! It's so frustrating to be lied to at every meal. I'm so close to going vegan and raw. I do it a bit, then I eat cooked again and use breads. I am angry thinking that my children have been being fed Neurotoxins at nearly $5.00 a loaf! Who do these people think they are?
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:55 AM

When I was looking up non-dairy cheeses, I saw some products with a yeast of sorts on the list of ingredients. We know what that means...So I emailed the company, and asked them point blank. Their response was something like two months later, and they basically said "well, yeah it's MSG, but it's not much"! Who defines "not much"? It doesn't take much to be toxic.

These companies know exactly what they're doing. I've been wondering why those who love kinnikinnick LOVE kinnikinnick <_<
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hawkfire,

We buy our meat from US Wellness meats. It is 100% grass fed, naturally fed beef and poultry, lamb. It's the best meat we've ever had and the chicken has a normal color, not yellow skin. They are organic but aren't labeled organic due to the regulation hassles and expense.

Considering that they ship overnight, there prices are very good.

Check them out and see what you think.

http://www.uswellnessmeats.com/

Andrea

Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#7 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

Their response was something like two months later, and they basically said "well, yeah it's MSG, but it's not much"! Who defines "not much"? It doesn't take much to be toxic.

I'm surprised they even acknowledged it.

Andrea

#8 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

I'm surprised they even acknowledged it.

So am I. But what's not a surprise is that they've changed how they list the ingredients, at least on the site (I don't buy their stuff).
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#9 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

I had no idea that was in their bread although I have maybe buy one loaf a year. I did make their chocolate cake for a birthday about a month ago. I didn't feel good during the night, I remember feeling hot and unable to sleep well.

I guess I must of thought it was a pea starch or flour but I googled pea protein and it is a concentrated protein usually added to boost nutrition and protein content. Then your right it becomes a freed glutamate which I have to avoid being very sensitive to MSG. You can buy it in a can like whey protein powder to put in protein drinks.

Well thanks for the heads up I'll never buy it again.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#10 HawkFire

HawkFire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:51 AM

I just threw out nearly $200. worth of MSG bread products from Kinnkinnick. I'm so mad. Bluejeangirl, the cake has pea protein *MSG*. I didn't see any MSG in the pizza crusts. I'm sooooo mad. I feel jerked around and lied to. I will spend twice as much energy warning people about the hidden MSG in Kinnkinnick than I ever spent touting the product- which was a lot.

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

I would expect that most starchy substances, in our body, are going to release free glutamate, as glutamate is naturally generated from glutamine in the body, and is necessary in the urea cycle. While I haven't done all the research you have, I'm pretty positive that all glutamate isn't equal.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

I just threw out nearly $200. worth of MSG bread products from Kinnkinnick. I'm so mad. Bluejeangirl, the cake has pea protein *MSG*. I didn't see any MSG in the pizza crusts. I'm sooooo mad. I feel jerked around and lied to. I will spend twice as much energy warning people about the hidden MSG in Kinnkinnick than I ever spent touting the product- which was a lot.

You've got every right to be blistering mad. I think we all do in a way, even if we've never purchased anything from them. Trading one set of health problems for another isn't what any of us want or need. It is not in the interest of the consumer for the company to do what they are obviously doing. Worse part is: They know it. They do it purposely. They intensionally obscure this fact in order to profit at the expense of our health.

We should be able to have confidence in any company which offers consumer products. Government oversight such as the FDA is supposed to help ensure these companies don't deceive or harm us, whether intentioned or not.

That saying "Buyer Beware" comes to mind.

#13 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

I would expect that most starchy substances, in our body, are going to release free glutamate, as glutamate is naturally generated from glutamine in the body, and is necessary in the urea cycle. While I haven't done all the research you have, I'm pretty positive that all glutamate isn't equal.

Right. The problem is when the glutamate enters the body in the free, unbound form. Because instead of a slow release as the food is digested, there's a whole bunch of the stuff surging into the brain. It's like a river; it can take a certain amount of water in a given period of time, but when there's a lot going in all at once, the river tends to rise above normal levels, and can overflow its banks, causing damage to surrounding areas.

#14 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

Riceguy,

I like that analogy.

I looked at my pea protein and it is from Kinnickinick not Gluten Free Pantry. I haven't used it, but had bought it to add some nutrition to our bread.

Andrea

#15 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

I looked at my pea protein and it is from Kinnickinick not Gluten Free Pantry. I haven't used it, but had bought it to add some nutrition to our bread.

I checked the kinnikinnick site, and I didn't see pea protein among their products. However, they do list "Pea Hull Fibre". Is that what you have?

If it's fiber you want, I believe Coconut Flour has about the most fiber of any flour I've seen. Green Pea Flour does have a lot of protein and fiber though, with Fava Bean Flour as a close second. Soy flour has almost as much protein as Fava, but less fiber.

Flax is a good source of both fiber and protein (and of course omega-3s), but I doubt it can make a decent flour in most cases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: