26 replies to this topic

#16 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

I checked the kinnikinnick site, and I didn't see pea protein among their products. However, they do list "Pea Hull Fibre". Is that what you have?

Yep, it's pea hull fibre. We do use ground flax in our bread. Lorka150's recipe.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 HawkFire

HawkFire

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

I am only going on what that truthinlabelingsite says. I had no idea that "Pea Protein" would be a hidden source of MSG. There seems to me, no reasonable expectation that a diligent consumer will be able to avoid exposure to a neurotoxin if this continues. I have no confirmation from Kinnkinnick, because they aren't responding to my question about pea protein. I also gave them the site info at truthinlabeling.com. I'm not one to promote lawsuits, but I feel that this is an industry that needs to have mulitple lawsuits filed against it in order to get this neurotoxin bull%$^% stopped.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

#18 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

I wonder if we are interpreting this all correctly. I thought pea protein was merely another alternative type of convenient protein powder made out of ground peas that could be used by people with a lot of other protein allergies like soy, egg, whey, etc. Kirkman is a respected vitamin company for serious allergy people and they sell pea protein powder. Are you sure we aren't jumping the gun here? This kinda sounds like one term being used for two entirely different things.

#19 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

I wonder if we are interpreting this all correctly. I thought pea protein was merely another alternative type of convenient protein powder that could be used by people with a lot of other protein allergies like soy, egg, whey, etc.

Nope..."pea protein" is just another way to get MSG into a product without labeling it as such.

Recently, hydrolyzed proteins have been labeled as pea protein, whey protein, corn protein, wheat protein, soy protein, etc. If a pea, for example, were whole, it would be labeled as a pea. Calling an ingredient a pea protein, for example, indicates the pea has been hydrolyzed and processed free glutamic acid (MSG) is present.

For a more extensive list of ingredients which contain "hidden" MSG look here...

http://www.mywellspr...h=1138057700311
Rachel

#20 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

Nope..."pea protein" is just another way to get MSG into a product without labeling it as such.
For a more extensive list of ingredients which contain "hidden" MSG look here...

http://www.mywellspr...h=1138057700311

Interesting deception. Is there no way then to fortify things with protein safely if you can't tolerate eggs or dairy or soybeans? It sounds like all protein powders no matter what they were made of would have this MSG issue. Thanks for the information.

I have become increasingly convinced that completely natural, vine ripened, raw or lightly cooked by ME in my own kitchen, organic, grassfed, plain and simple is the way it's eventually going to have to be. You can't trust anybody.

#21 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

Interesting deception. Is there no way then to fortify things with protein safely if you can't tolerate eggs or dairy or soybeans? It sounds like all protein powders no matter what they were made of would have this MSG issue. Thanks for the information.

I have become increasingly convinced that completely natural, vine ripened, raw or lightly cooked by ME in my own kitchen, organic, grassfed, plain and simple is the way it's eventually going to have to be. You can't trust anybody.

One more question.... I just purchased NOW bulk plain beef gelatin online to use in natural desserts and as a binder to replace eggs. I don't use Knox because of the pork. The label says nothing about being hydrolyzed. Did I waste my money? Is there free glutamate in this product?

#22 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the link Rachel. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#23 HawkFire

HawkFire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

The silence from Kinnikinnick is overwhelming. I guess this is it for them. They're no better than serving your children processed junk food. Msg laden, gluten free bread products. Thanks, Kinnikinnick, for all the poison.
The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

#24 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

The silence from Kinnikinnick is overwhelming. I guess this is it for them. They're no better than serving your children processed junk food. Msg laden, gluten free bread products. Thanks, Kinnikinnick, for all the poison.

Since this is so important, have you considered phoning them directly? Perhaps they didn't receive the email, or haven't been responding over the long weekend. Your original post was on Saturday (I'm not sure when you sent the email to them), and it's entirely possible that they have been closed until today.

Michelle

Edit: These are the company's hours (they likely would have been closed Good Friday & Easter Monday as well):

Administration Hours: (MST)
Monday...........9am-4:30pm
Tuesday..........9am-4:30pm
Wednesday........9am-4:30pm
Thursday.........9am-4:30pm
Friday...........9am-4:30pm
Saturday.........Closed
Sunday...........Closed

Retail Store Hours: (MST)
Tuesday..........9:30am-5pm
Wednesday........9:30am-5pm
Thursday.........9:30am-6pm
Friday...........9:30am-5pm
Saturday.........9:30am-5pm
Sunday...........Closed
Monday...........Closed

#25 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

Yep, it's pea hull fibre. We do use ground flax in our bread. Lorka150's recipe.

Well, if it's fiber you want, you might try coconut flour. It appears to have more fiber than flaxseed meal according to the info I've seen. IMHO coconut does go well in breads and such.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#26 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:21 AM

One more question.... I just purchased NOW bulk plain beef gelatin online to use in natural desserts and as a binder to replace eggs. I don't use Knox because of the pork. The label says nothing about being hydrolyzed. Did I waste my money? Is there free glutamate in this product?

I don't know for certain, but according to the USDA, the amount of glutamic acid doesn't appear out of the ordinary. Whether there is free glutamic acid is another matter.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#27 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

I don't know for certain, but according to the USDA, the amount of glutamic acid doesn't appear out of the ordinary. Whether there is free glutamic acid is another matter.

Thanks! I ended up calling them and talking to a chemist at NOW foods. It is true that ALL gelatin is hydrolized. He also agreed that ALL protein supplements or predigested processed foods containing protein are actually hydrolized. He said that there are a few people who are extremely sensitive to the free glutamic acid produced in that process, but most are not.

But he said that glycine and proline are also freed up in the same procedure. Glycine in particular does just the opposite in the body as the glutamic acid and can cancel out any negatives created. At least that is the case in gelatin because gelatin is particularly high in glycine.

Sounds to me like the digestion of protein releases glutamic acid. Would that not occur by just eating protein foods as well? I'm no chemist. But most foods contain many chemicals in perfect synergy to keep balance. Are we sure that the glutamic acid in this case is not taken care of by other balancing constituents of the same process?

I still contend that just eating food the way it grows is safest. It's just not always easy in the 21st century.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: