This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Multiple Food Allergies

jsib

jsib Newbie

Does anyone else have a child with soy, dairy,egg white,citrus (=tomato),nut,bean,honey allergies? My son eats about 5 different foods. Have him on a childs medical food shake for extra nutrients. He eats 5 meals a day and is ALWAYS HUNGRY. I am suppose to rotate food but that is really hard. Now the Dr. thinks he might also have a rice sensitivity...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sharon C. Explorer

I am really sorry to hear what you are going through. My son has always just had a peanut allergy, and recently he was positive for an initial screening for gluten intolerence. I'm sorry, I don't have much advice, just compassion and a hope that things get better for you and your child.

Sharon

• 2 months later...
BigDogMax Newbie

Actually our 15-month old son seems to be suffering from the same things (peas, soy, eggs, gluten, lactose, etc...) and to top it off he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes three weeks ago so it is a real challenge to figure out what to feed him. Feel free to email me to swap suggestions and ideas. Best, Alex

BigDogMax Newbie

Actually our 15-month old son seems to be suffering from the same things (peas, soy, eggs, gluten, lactose, etc...) and to top it off he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes three weeks ago so it is a real challenge to figure out what to feed him. Feel free to email me to swap suggestions and ideas. Best, Alex

tarnalberry Community Regular

The only thing I can suggest is trying to write down ALL the foods you can think of (apples, bananas, millet, corn, avocados, coconut, chicken, fish... walk through the grocery store with a notebook if it helps) that don't violate the intolerances, and try them on him - and again after a few months if he balks the first time.

(BTW, I'm curious about your citrus(=tomatoes) statement... tomatoes and citrus are not in the same family, so that statement surprises me... Can you help me understand?)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ma Whit

You know, even though they aren't in the same family, I group citrus and tomato together too. DS reacts the same to both of them. :unsure:

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) i can help there too---tomatoes are a vegetable, but also considered a fruit--they are acid as are so many of the fruits--there is acid in many of the citrus fruits--so therefore, you could classify them in the same way :rolleyes: now--did that make sense, i'm not sure it does to me :lol: deb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I wouldn't group them as they're different botanically, though I'm not disputing that someone can have problems with both. ;-) Tomatoes are a different family - acid content isn't necessarily the common factor - many other fruits/vegetables are acidic and related to neither of those. (For example, apples and apricots have a lower pH than tomatoes.) But I would note that since tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, it's worth being careful about potatoes, eggplant, cherries, sweet peppers, and petunias, as they're in the same botanical family.

• 2 weeks later...
pbeyers Newbie

My 4.5 year old has had severe food allergies to all protein (legumes, all meats, nuts, dairy, egg, soy, etc.) since he was 4 months old and he was diagnosed with Celiac on top of it in September. It has been a hard road and some days are better than others. He eats lots of corn/rice pasta, potato in all shapes and forms and tons of fruits and veggies. It's hard and I feel for you but it can be done! My son has also been on Neocate formula since 2 years old. It's expensive but so worth it because he has been in the 97th % in weight since birth. He's a big boy and nobody would guess that he has all of these problems. Good luck.

Archived