This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

10 Things I Hate About Celiac

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

Please do not attempt to inject any positivity into this thread :P as I am ready to tear my hair out. I will also start a thread called 10 Things I like about being gluten free.

10. EnerG bread is an expensive sponge.

9. I am also soy intolerant and finding chocolate without soy lechitithin in it is HARD.

8. Too many autoimmune disorders in this world- why do we need another one?

7. Worrying about how I'm going to feel when I wake up in the am

6. Embarassing smelly gas :ph34r:

5. Nothing is sacred food-wise

4. That you can get glutened by orange juice

3. Celiac sprue sounds like a tree disease.

2. Traveling with my own food everywhere I go.

1. CROSS-DAM-CONTAMINATION

Ahhh....big sigh...now on to what's better in a nother thread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star
3. Celiac sprue sounds like a tree disease.

Or an expensive designer Christmas tree

Mtndog Collaborator
Or an expensive designer Christmas tree

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"No I told you I don't want the BLUE SPRUCE! I want the celiac sprue!"

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

LOL too funny! I will have 10 things later..

celiac sprue tree!

:lol:

Lisa Mentor

*Keeping a roll of toilet paper in the car and purse.

*Asking about gluten free in a restaurant and get the deer in headlights look.

*Knowing where all the restrooms are in town and know how long it takes to get there.

*Don't get dinner invitations much any more.

*Tearing up in a restaurant after looking at a menu for 20 minutes.

*Explaining, over and over and over again.

*Skinny clothes and Fat clothes - in a 12 hour day.

*100 hand washes in a day

*No more of Hazel's Caramel Cake.

*Explaining what happens when you get glutened.

Mtndog Collaborator
*Keeping a roll of toilet paper in the car and purse.

Which in turn means you have to buy a bigger more expensive purse! "Hmm. I'd like the Coach bag with the tp roll attachment" "that will be an extra $200" :blink:

rsm Newbie

i just paid $4.69 for a tiny loaf of four flour bread, so excited, I was going to have grilled cheese. That bread is hideous, my old socks taste better, I ate the grilled cheese anyway, dairy and all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast
"No I told you I don't want the BLUE SPRUCE! I want the celiac sprue!"

:lol::lol::lol: most excellent

Which in turn means you have to buy a bigger more expensive purse! "Hmm. I'd like the Coach bag with the tp roll attachment" "that will be an extra $200" :blink:

hmmmm.....where's our friend Richard? seems like he could design this for us...or get someone to......what an excellent Celiac invention! A lovely Coach bag, with handy metal brackets and roll on the side, for one's toilet paper! :lol:

i just paid $4.69 for a tiny loaf of four flour bread, so excited, I was going to have grilled cheese. That bread is hideous, my old socks taste better, I ate the grilled cheese anyway, dairy and all.

Well, $4.69 is quite a bargain for bad-tasting sock bread.....my recent loaf at Whole Foods was NINE DOLLARS AND TWENTY SIX CENTS......... :angry:

....and BTW, only TEN things we hate about Celiac?? I could come up with a hundred.... :( but it's a good start......

chocolatelover Contributor

Hmmm...can I add to that list? How about:

-the deer in the headlights look from your relatives who don't believe gluten makes you sick?

-spending 4 hours and who knows how much money to make a loaf of bread that tastes like crap?

-having your a$$ feel like someone rubbed sandpaper on it for an hour?

I can think of more, but don't want to take anyone else's ideas! :lol:

Mtndog Collaborator
....and BTW, only TEN things we hate about Celiac?? I could come up with a hundred.... :( but it's a good start......

BRING IT ON BABE! I'M ON A TEAR!

Richard Gere in Pretty Woman "I'm angry my with father;very angry!"

Me in My Life as Mtndog "I'm angry with Frito-Lay's; VERY VERY VERY Angry!"

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

embarassing trips to the bathroom in public places!

having to carry a can of Oust in your purse at all times!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Personally, I've always found it humorous that people ALWAYS ask me the effects of being "glutened" at the dinner table.

If I had a nickel for every time that i have said "Digestive Trauma" in an effort to subtly answer that question, I would be a millionaire.

Mtndog Collaborator

It just feels good to get it all out! Nice not to be alone!

mouse Enthusiast

All the food we have to throw away (especially in the beginning) because it is just plain awful.

I am having a Longaberger basket party tonight and everything is gluten free and it cost me $$$$ to prepare and MANY hours in the kitchen. Most of my friends have no concept ot the cost or time of this diet.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

oaky, how about this - - - -

COOKING.

:angry::angry::angry:

Cooking every stinkin' day. I HATE to cook, could think of a THOUSAND things I'd rather do at any given moment than worry about food acquisition and preparation.......... :angry:

and how about this......the new brown rice tortillas I just discovered at Trader Joe's and bought four packs of on Saturday??? (nearly jumping up and down with glee - an exciting change from stupid corn tortillas) - - - they're hard as rocks, really chewy, and essentially, unbendable....... :angry:

more bad food, as Mouse says, to throw away. (lately I just let every bad food product "petrify" and make them into dog "bones" for the girls :huh: )

Ashley Enthusiast

Some of these have already been listed...but, I dislike them so much that I'll list them again anyway.

10.) Extreme Pain when doing sit-ups

9.) I can't go one day without being bloated

8.) Not having enough time to eat a whole, decent meal because I don't have the time to cook/ lack of convience

7.) The pointless use of 'barely malt' in any food items.

6.) Dodging the question of "what does gluten to do you?" at the table, due to the squeamish stomachs of most.

5.) Being gluten-free is hell when you travel, especially when you're without your mom that know how to help you.

4.) Ener-G. The entire brand. Waste of money...honestly, I don't see how people can eat it without gagging.

3.) When people "think" they know what gluten and Celiac is when they really don't. One man tried to agrue that 'casein' was wheat...

2.) The horrible stinging in my hands once I've handled gluten

1.) Being hungry all the time but I can't eat too much because it's so painful to eat.

-Ash

Mtndog Collaborator
Some of these have already been listed...but, I dislike them so much that I'll list them again anyway.

7.) The pointless use of 'barely malt' in any food items.

6.) Dodging the question of "what does gluten to do you?" at the table, due to the squeamish stomachs of most.

-Ash

Oh yeah- good old barley malt ended up in my ex-favorite herbal tea (Celestial Seasonings Vanilla maple) Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emulsifiers and binders are for wimps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my food straight up!

As far as #6 goes I say it's like having a really bad stomach flu and hangover at the same time. Don't usually need to go much further. :rolleyes:

miles2go Contributor

1. Knowing that I was born a certain way, like everyone else and then earning stories about beings who may be undiagnosed gluten-intolerant for whatever reason.

2. Gluten sneaking into every processed product imaginable.

3. The FDA.

4. People who stood in line for hours on end in the past in Northern Europe for a product that probably wasn’t good for them, but was the only food they could get.

5. Other people who are starving, since I kind of know what it feels like.

6. The communion host and issues with that.

7. Eight years spent on things I hadn’t planned.

8. Trusting a product or someone to cook for you and having it back-fire through ignorance and not intent.

9. The endless search for non-barley malt and those lovely malted Easter eggs and malted milk balls and malted milks.

10. Redbridge hasn’t made it to central Maine yet.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Can I add to the list:

Fearing the kisses of your beautiful grandchildren!

A brother who thinks barley soup is all I need to make me well!

I agree, the need to know where every bathroom is along the way to anywhere!

Not being able to trust others with my food!

The knowledge that "normal" is something I will never achieve!

And the worst thing, knowing I shared this with my kids and probably their kids!

missy'smom Collaborator
As far as #6 goes I say it's like having a really bad stomach flu and hangover at the same time. Don't usually need to go much further. :rolleyes:

This is actually a pretty good explanation. I may start using it.

johnsoniu Apprentice

Yea, try fitting a double roll of Xtra soft Cottonelle in your Wallet!

I'm as secure in my manhood as the next guy, but I don't do "man bags" B)

Jestgar Rising Star
Yea, try fitting a double roll of Xtra soft Cottonelle in your Wallet!

I'm as secure in my manhood as the next guy, but I don't do "man bags" B)

I'm sure someone must make belt clips. So right next to your phone and pager you can clip on your toilet roll holder.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

1) I don't care what anyone says....I miss some of my old foods.

2) Social Situations

3) Catered meals at work you have to pass up on and everyone shuns you for it.

4) Having to become paranoid.

5) Expensive food.

6) Limited dining places depending on your location.

7) Product availabilty depending on location. I feel for for rural people. I live in a city and things are limited.

8) The embaressing symptoms.

9) NO one understands unless they are gluten free.

10) People who still offer you gluten free, people who know you can't have it and then say in the sing-song voice....oh you can't have cake...or you can't have fill in the blank...***holes!

There is my list. As many good things that have come along since going gluten free, I still have my tears.

confused Community Regular

1. my kids saying mom you can eat this can you cause it has gluten.

2. having pms and u have no idea what to eat

3. knowing your kids should not eat gluten

4. being mad that everything has gluten or milk

5. having to think what to have for dinner every night

6. afraid to go out to eat, cause living in a small town

7. knowing family members before you had this disease but never diagnosed

8. having pms and seeing candy on the counter you cant have

9. paying an high price for beer

10. making stupid mistakes that leave u feeling likfe crap for days

paula

miles2go Contributor
7) Product availabilty depending on location. I feel for for rural people. I live in a city and things are limited.

There is my list. As many good things that have come along since going gluten free, I still have my tears.

No tears here, blueeyedmanda, we eyeball them free-range chickens next door daily. :D

Archived