2 replies to this topic

#1 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

What's the deal with leaky gut? How do you know if you have it? Could it be the sole cause of food intolerances? What about bacterial overgrowth? I've been really suspecting it, so I'm getting ready to go get some ProBiotics. If this was actually my problem to begin with, would that mean that I could overcome my intolerances once my gut healed? I know there's alot of questions there. Haha. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:41 AM

This is my unofficial nonmedical expert opinion ... but, from what I have read, doctors who use blood tests to diagnose celiac absolutely depend on your having a 'leaky gut'. ;) Gluten antibodies which cause all those pesky symptoms are created in the small intestine when gluten containing foods arrive there. Those antibodies can only be detected in the blood when they 'leak' from the small intestine into the bloodstream. So some celiacs who have small intestinal symptoms (cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea or constipation) may NOT show gluten antibodies in their blood tests while others do. It all depends on how 'leaky' your gut has become over years of damage. Read Ron Hoggan's book "Dangerous Grains" for more info on 'leaky gut' and how that affects food intolerances.

If you have the celiac gene or if you have an autoimmune/antibody reaction gluten intolerance you will NOT overcome that. However, your gut can heal, so that you don't develop other diseases like small intestinal lymphoma.

Maybe someone else who is more experienced or knowledgable about bacteial overgrowth can answer your probiotic question. I take probiotics because I had many years of antibiotic regimens and suspect a 'good bacteria' deficiency.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:44 AM

I have wondered this same thing. I also wonder about the autoimmune response to gluten because I don't believe that all who have leaky gut experience it... but, I could be wrong. In the event that you have leaky gut, how would you be able to ensure that no gluten proteins are leaking through your intestinal wall? I'm assuming in this case that it would still be of benefit to go gluten free to warranty against gluten effects to other areas of your body. I wish I could offer more help, but I'm wondering the same as you. This is something I will ask my doctor about next month.

Gretchen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: