This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut?

cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow Contributor

What's the deal with leaky gut? How do you know if you have it? Could it be the sole cause of food intolerances? What about bacterial overgrowth? I've been really suspecting it, so I'm getting ready to go get some ProBiotics. If this was actually my problem to begin with, would that mean that I could overcome my intolerances once my gut healed? I know there's alot of questions there. Haha. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

This is my unofficial nonmedical expert opinion ... but, from what I have read, doctors who use blood tests to diagnose celiac absolutely depend on your having a 'leaky gut'. ;) Gluten antibodies which cause all those pesky symptoms are created in the small intestine when gluten containing foods arrive there. Those antibodies can only be detected in the blood when they 'leak' from the small intestine into the bloodstream. So some celiacs who have small intestinal symptoms (cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea or constipation) may NOT show gluten antibodies in their blood tests while others do. It all depends on how 'leaky' your gut has become over years of damage. Read Ron Hoggan's book "Dangerous Grains" for more info on 'leaky gut' and how that affects food intolerances.

If you have the celiac gene or if you have an autoimmune/antibody reaction gluten intolerance you will NOT overcome that. However, your gut can heal, so that you don't develop other diseases like small intestinal lymphoma.

Maybe someone else who is more experienced or knowledgable about bacteial overgrowth can answer your probiotic question. I take probiotics because I had many years of antibiotic regimens and suspect a 'good bacteria' deficiency.

BURDEE

GEF Explorer

I have wondered this same thing. I also wonder about the autoimmune response to gluten because I don't believe that all who have leaky gut experience it... but, I could be wrong. In the event that you have leaky gut, how would you be able to ensure that no gluten proteins are leaking through your intestinal wall? I'm assuming in this case that it would still be of benefit to go gluten free to warranty against gluten effects to other areas of your body. I wish I could offer more help, but I'm wondering the same as you. This is something I will ask my doctor about next month.

Gretchen

Archived