This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would You Worry About Cross Contamination With Marijuana?

lorka150

lorka150 Collaborator

I was having a discussion with someone and this came up. Would this be a concern? (Other than someone, say, rolling it and causing said contamination... I mean, from the source itself... The field/plants... Potential filler).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Julie-uk-nz Apprentice

I'd never really thought about it, but i did a google search and all i could find was this:

Gluten is a plant protein found in cereals, particularly in wheat. Wheat flour typically contains some 100,000 mg/kg, or parts per million (ppm) of gluten. Gluten is an allergen and affects people suffering from Celiac Sprue Disease. As for other oil seeds, the protein of hemp seeds does not contain this cereal protein - it is "gluten free". However, some consumers of hemp food have recently asked for confirmation because a note (see below) on the web site of the Celiac Sprue Association suggested that traces of gluten had been found in hemp flour.

Not that helpful, but hopefully someone out their will know more, i've just bought some and it will be the first time i've had it since going gluten-free so i'll see!!!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't think I would worry about this with the herb itself, however you do need to be concerned with the papers that are used to roll and also about cross contamination if others are say drinking beer while smoking with you. In a pipe without sharing should not be a concern.

johnsoniu Apprentice

Since we're not suppossed to lick envelopes because the sticky adhesive contains gluten, I would also question the sticky adhesive on the rolling papers.

Not that I'd be advocating marijuana use, but God made marijuana and man made beer, who do you trust? B)

lorka150 Collaborator

Thanks for the thoughts. We were having a discussion and I just assumed that someone on here would know.

Julie-uk-nz Apprentice

Just find a previous post regarding this:

Open Original Shared Link

It mentions that Rizla is gluten free which is a UK brand and Zig Zags aren't.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Yes, God made marijuana and people made beer, yet God also made wheat--where do you draw the line?

In addition, I hardly think marijuana is a subject that should be discussed in an open forum with teenagers--it is an illegal substance. Don't bother throwing stones at me for my opinion--I just feel it's a subject that does not need to be discussed in this type of forum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast

I'd say that there are no simple answers...

What it comes down to is if you trust the source or not.... its not that different to buying ready made food...

I think its a bit naieve to trust manufacturers without doing further research ....

so it would depend where you are and what you buy ...

If your buying it legally in Amsterdam then its at least QC'd... if your buying from someone growing it themselves that you know or buying it from some-guy who knows a guy that can get hold of some stuff ...so a hard and fast rule can't be applied..

In addition, I hardly think marijuana is a subject that should be discussed in an open forum with teenagers--it is an illegal substance. Don't bother throwing stones at me for my opinion--I just feel it's a subject that does not need to be discussed in this type of forum.

OK no stone throwing then but tobacco and alcohol are also illegal for teenagers and depending where you live so is dope... and can equally be prescribed again depending where you live. Indeed drinking alcohol is illegal in many countries .. and also some dry counties...

The same can be said for many of the meds we discuss.... quite a few of us have been or are taking meds which are classified as illegal without a prescription... but you could for instance buy over the counter in Mexico.

In general I think its better to mention the dangers than just not discuss it at all.

For instance the same goes for prescriptions meds you might buy in Mexico because they are cheaper... but they might also contain gluten because your getting a generic brand... even if its illegal to breing them back you could argue but what if I'm on vacation ... etc. etc.

I can respect why you say that but in a wider context I think its better discussed than brushed under the carpet....

One thing to really be aware of is many cigarettes contain gluten....

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yes, God made marijuana and people made beer, yet God also made wheat--where do you draw the line?

And you are free to think so.

I used to teach a Drug, Sex and Alcohol education and prevention program for a major youth organization and also taught it to middle and high school kids, until our government cut funding off unless it taught abstinance only. I could not condone that type of regulation so I left the position. Now just a few years after this our teen pregnacy and STD rate is the highest it has ever been. People need honest, unjudgemental answers to their questions no matter what their age.

You may not be aware that the recent reaserch is showing that most young people do not smoke pot, they take legal script drugs that abound in the medicine cabinets of their freinds or family, or have been pumped into them to keep them still and quiet in class. Open any magazine and you will find cover to cover ads telling people how this drug or that drug will make their life wonderful. Parents get to try and explain what erectile dysfunction is to their 5 year olds while they eat lunch after watching TV. People are taught to pop a pill to take care of any little thing from the time they are children.

An honest guestion needs an honest answer, folks don't see anything wrong with discussions on alcohol here, there is in fact a 3 pager right now on the top of the teen thread, there should not be problems with any other question either.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

OK no stone throwing then but tobacco and alcohol are also illegal for teenagers and depending where you live so is dope... Yes, tobacco and alcohol are illegal for teens, but marijuana is illegal for everyone, at least in America and in my opinion should only be used as a prescription for those terminally ill.

The same can be said for many of the meds we discuss.... quite a few of us have been or are taking meds which are classified as illegal without a prescription... Very true, except for the fact--the meds are prescription meds, not illegal.

I can respect why you say that but in a wider context I think its better discussed than brushed under the carpet....Thats the same as saying: Lets tell everyone how to break into a house, or how to hotwire a car, or how to shoplift------why discuss something that is against the law.

I won't argue this with you or anyone else, it's just my honest opinion and the only reason I responded is because I needed to validate how I feel.

lorka150 Collaborator

I wasn't trying to start an arguement, so instead of hijacking the post, can further discussion be involved via pm? (not with me, please, as my question was already answered).

there is a post in the 'teen' section involving alcohol, and i'm quite certain that most teens on this forum are american. that's just as illegal.

this was a general curiousity question. that's it. it was answered many posts ago. and thank you.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Like someone already mentioned, be careful of the source.

A friend of ours' kid was given some "marijuana" to try. He brought it home, but changed his mind and brought it back to school to give it back. He got busted and expelled for the rest of the school year. The "marijuana" turned out to be POISON IVY! :o Be careful of the source, gluten is not the only concern.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Thing is, it was man who hybridized the heck out of wheat, multiplying the gluten several times over. It is this type of alteration which bugs me. On the other hand, I once heard it would take something like 400 pounds of marijuana to be a lethal dose, assuming one could actually consume it all fast enough. I don't know if that's true, but when I hear of someone dying of a drug overdose, it's never marijuana. Though I don't condone the use of such things, I do think the ban on it, and the whole anti-marijuana thing is way out of proportion. You could have just one tiny seedling of it in your home, and get arrested. That's simply absurd if you ask me. Plenty of pharmaceuticals are far more dangerous, and those are being "advertised" (I say pushed) on TV every day. All those ads telling people to "ask your doctor about bla bla bla..." and "get a free sample of bla bla bla...". Kids watch TV too.

Yeah, the whole planet is upside down. If the magnetic pole reversal ever happens, It might be just the sort of "bulk erase" this globe needs.

Michi8 Contributor
OK no stone throwing then but tobacco and alcohol are also illegal for teenagers and depending where you live so is dope... Yes, tobacco and alcohol are illegal for teens, but marijuana is illegal for everyone, at least in America and in my opinion should only be used as a prescription for those terminally ill.

The laws are quite different in Canada and the U.S. Medical use is allowed here, and is supplied and controlled through the federal government (though there has been some question to the potency and effectiveness of this medical grade drug.) There have also been changes to the possession laws.

This forum does host more than U.S. citizens, and I think the topic is worthwhile. For me, I'm interested in hearing about cc of hemp, especially in foods.

Michelle

Felidae Enthusiast
For me, I'm interested in hearing about cc of hemp, especially in foods.

Hemp is supposed to be very good for you. It would be good to have info. on hemp cc issues.

nmw Newbie

RE: nutritional use of hemp, I use Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Powder. It states in the ingredients that it does not contain: hexane, dairy, lactose, sweeteners or gluten. It is a great source of fiber and protein, amino acids and fatty acids, and can be added in baking, to yogurt and smoothies, or sprinkled in a multitude of dishes. I have had no problems with this particular brand and type of hemp.

Hemp used as fuel, building material, fabric, and food is an old idea and practice that is ecologically sound and completely underutilized in the US.

It makes sense that hemp and marijuana are naturally gluten-free.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I diagree strongly that topics should be avoided because it's "illegal". At one time, women voting, interracial marriage, and many other things were illegal. Those things changed because people stood up and said, this is dumb. In a democracy, avoiding talk about something because "it's illegal" encourages a passive population, and that's not what makes a strong democracy.

And adults talking about drugs responsibly is fine. Anyone that thinks teens aren't exposed to this stuff regularly is living with their head in the sand.

The illegal nature of marijuana and hemp is dumb. It has many, many proven positive uses. Medicinal. Strongest natural fiber. Can be raised without pesticides.

As a drug, it's milder than alcohol, when was the last time you heard about someone beating their wife because they smoked a joint?

The "war on drugs" costs hundred of millions, if not billions each year. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. It'd be 100 times better for our country than fighting it.

I don't use marijuana, simply because it's illegal and I don't want that risk. But I do believe the fact that it is illegal is dumb.

Geoff

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"The "war on drugs" costs hundred of millions, if not billions each year. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. It'd be 100 times better for our country than fighting it."

An added benefit might be that the United States might not be THE country that has the largest proportion of its population in jails or on parole. More of our people are in prisions than in China, Russia or even Sadam era Iraq. And it has been that way for at least 10 years or more. It is one of our governments biggest shames and not something the politians even talk about.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Let me first tell you a story that is one of the best reasons I am so against legalizing, lets call them "recreational drugs": I have a 5 1/2 month old grandson. His name is Ethin. He is very small for his age, in the first 3 months of his life, he gained 3#. He has sleep apnea, GERD, dairy intolerant, soy intolerant, doesn't utilize his proteins properly, he turns blue because oxygen is not getting to some parts of his brain, and the little guy is on meds for all of this, plus very expensive hypoallergenic forumla. His mama smoked, drank, and did "recreational drugs" all of the pregnancy. She and my son are not together and were not for most of the pregnancy--she was angry that he felt she should stop smoking, drinking, and drugs--so she filed a personal protection against him. Any time he would speak to her about all this, she would call the cops on him. Now, when the baby cries uncontrollably, she calls Joe to take care of him. The poor little guy is on all these meds and has a sleep monitor too.

NOW TELL ME IT'S OK TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA, SO IT'S LEGAL TO HARM THE CHILDREN IN OUR WORLD!

What a ridiculous thing to argue about. Sure. lets legalize drug abuse, that will definitely change the prison count in the US. Legalize marijuana, so that those who want can get high legally, AND then go out and do harmful things to others and claim they did not know what they were doing. What a scary thought.

I do not condone drinking and driving either, yet would it be ok to some of you that it become legal too. There is a very fine line as to what is ok and what isn't. Here in the US, if you give an inch, they take a mile. Nothing is as simple as "legalizing" anything. The ramifications must be throughly looked in to before legalizing anything.

I know the teens in the world see all and know all. That doesn't mean we adults need to add to their knowledge, unless we are telling them the reasons not to do drugs.

My opinions are formed by actual incidents that happen in my life and they are very strong opinions.

RiceGuy Collaborator
I do not condone drinking and driving either, yet would it be ok to some of you that it become legal too. There is a very fine line as to what is ok and what isn't. Here in the US, if you give an inch, they take a mile. Nothing is as simple as "legalizing" anything. The ramifications must be throughly looked in to before legalizing anything.

I think you'd be correct if legalizing marijuana made it as available as alcohol. IMO, alcohol should be illegal, but not marijuana. Why? Because I've never heard any good reasons for drinking alcohol. It too is a "recreational drug". It offers no medicinal uses. It has no benefits whatsoever. People drink for the very purpose of getting intoxicated. Plus it's not regulated, so basically any adult can buy enough of the stuff to be incredibly harmful if not lethal, not just to oneself, but to others. How can it be acceptable that people can produce their own alcohol, but you can't legally posses a single hemp seedling? That's beyond ridiculous!

On the other hand, hemp can be used to make all sorts of textiles. Paper products, cloth, rope, etc. We wouldn't have the deforestation problem if hemp was used to make paper. Then there are the medicinal uses, and from what I've heard it's nowhere near as addictive as many pharmaceuticals.

My point is only that the legal restrictions regarding hemp do not make sense, nor are they in the interest of the public. When compared to alcohol, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, etc, the laws are quite lopsided. All these things can be abused, just like hemp can be. Do we outlaw cars because some people use them when committing crimes? What about guns? Do we outlaw the rubber tree just because kids sniff the glue? Heck, why not outlaw felt-tip markers while you're at it. If you outlaw something, the only people who will have it are the outlaws.

When regulated sensibly and used responsibly, hemp would be just as if not more useful as guns. Even though I detest drugs and their use, including alcohol and tobacco, I see no logic to the laws against hemp. Government propaganda has done an effective job brainwashing the public on several issues, including hemp.

Mtndog Collaborator

I think that this thread has degenerated into an argument over whether or not marijuana should be legalized when the original question was CC. Since marijuana is LEGAL in some places for certain purposes (such as medicine, or in European countries and parts of Canada), the CC question is valid because this board is international, IMO. However, an argument over legalziation is not.

If you don't have an interest in the original question, please take your argument elsewhere. Otherwise, a potentially helpful thread will probably end up being shut down by Scott.

Thank you.

gfp Enthusiast

oops cross posted with mtndog

pooter Newbie

I agree with this... as responsible adults we owe it to our children to talk to them and answer their questions, and an open forum such as this, especially an international one, is a fine venue to discuss these issues. Do not get into the debate about legalization because the two sides are never going to agree.

As a parent, I would not mind my child reading the initial discussion and questions. It's when adults start bickering over issues that are either of political, religious or personal natures where you are not going to convince someone else to change their mind is where I wouldn't want to have to explain that to my child. Yeah, I'm telling her not to argue yet adults do it all the time? If we talk to our kids about this stuff, don't judge other people (especially if it's something that is legal where they live) and explain to our kids why we don't approve, that is more responsible than sweeping it under the table. Just my opinion.

I diagree strongly that topics should be avoided because it's "illegal". At one time, women voting, interracial marriage, and many other things were illegal. Those things changed because people stood up and said, this is dumb. In a democracy, avoiding talk about something because "it's illegal" encourages a passive population, and that's not what makes a strong democracy.

And adults talking about drugs responsibly is fine. Anyone that thinks teens aren't exposed to this stuff regularly is living with their head in the sand.

The illegal nature of marijuana and hemp is dumb. It has many, many proven positive uses. Medicinal. Strongest natural fiber. Can be raised without pesticides.

As a drug, it's milder than alcohol, when was the last time you heard about someone beating their wife because they smoked a joint?

The "war on drugs" costs hundred of millions, if not billions each year. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. It'd be 100 times better for our country than fighting it.

I don't use marijuana, simply because it's illegal and I don't want that risk. But I do believe the fact that it is illegal is dumb.

Geoff

Michi8 Contributor
I think that this thread has degenerated into an argument over whether or not marijuana should be legalized when the original question was CC. Since marijuana is LEGAL in some places for certain purposes (such as medicine, or in European countries and parts of Canada), the CC question is valid because this board is international, IMO. However, an argument over legalziation is not.

If you don't have an interest in the original question, please take your argument elsewhere. Otherwise, a potentially helpful thread will probably end up being shut down by Scott.

Thank you.

I don't want to get into an argument. Just want to point out that legal med use, and the move towards decriminalization for possession (of small amounts...being a dealer would still be illegal) is across the board in Canada (not just in parts.)

Hemp is 100% legal here, and has good nutritional value and is widely available in products as well as food. I like it in granola. :)

Michelle

gfp Enthusiast

If we are going to discuss legalisation/criminalisation then surely we'd be better discussing that incredibly wide spread and socially acceptable drug called gluten....

Archived