This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would You Worry About Cross Contamination With Marijuana?

lorka150

Mtndog Collaborator
oops cross posted with mtndog

Don't you dare cross post me :P

I have to play moderator here but Rule #1 Show respect for each board member, no matter what you think of their views. This is not a place to quarrel.

Please keep that in mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chrissy Collaborator

threads like this are always so bizarre-------

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

"NOW TELL ME IT'S OK TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA, SO IT'S LEGAL TO HARM THE CHILDREN IN OUR WORLD!"

Deb, that's a bit of a straw man. Your grandson's mom did several really stupid things. I am really sorry to hear that. But the legal/illegal nature of the drug did nothing to prevent it.

She used legal drugs (alcohol) and illegal. Both probably harmed the baby. Legalizing pot would not make more dumb people hurt babys. It might even help. At least then pot would come with a warning label like the warning labels on cigarettes and alcohol.

I am very sorry for your grandsons issues, but it has nothing to do with a ridiculous war on drugs. You can make laws to protect against all levels of stupidity without becomming a draconian state with no freedoms.

Endangering a child in the womb should be illegal. Not pot.

Geoff

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
I am very sorry for your grandsons issues, but it has nothing to do with a ridiculous war on drugs. You can make laws to protect against all levels of stupidity without becomming a draconian state with no freedoms.

should say "You can not make laws to"

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I disagree that silence and laws are the answer. I'll step out of this thread now.

Geoff

GRUMP 1 Contributor

My only question is what is the difference between Marijuana and Hemp?

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
My only question is what is the difference between Marijuana and Hemp?

Hemp is the industrial version of the plant, used for cloth, rope, etc, as well as what is eaten in cereals and nutritional products. Strongest natural fiber available. Only grown in very limited quantities in the US, due to our drug laws, despite being worthless for smoking.

Marijuana is the higher THC version of the plant. That is what is smoked and used for medicine. I beleive the marijuana plant would also make good rope and fiber, but I'd bet it would be the highest dollar value for that crop.

Geoff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Hemp is the industrial version of the plant, used for cloth, rope, etc, as well as what is eaten in cereals and nutritional products. Strongest natural fiber available. Only grown in very limited quantities in the US, due to our drug laws, despite being worthless for smoking.

Marijuana is the higher THC version of the plant. That is what is smoked and used for medicine. I beleive the marijuana plant would also make good rope and fiber, but I'd bet it would be the highest dollar value for that crop.

Geoff

Dammit. Is it gluten fog? I keep forgetting my negatives! "but I bet it would NOT be the highest dollar"

johnsoniu Apprentice
Dammit. Is it gluten fog? I keep forgetting my negatives! "but I bet it would NOT be the highest dollar"

Hmmm, loss of short term memory in a thread on marijuana..

Verrry Interesting B)

gfp Enthusiast
Hmmm, loss of short term memory in a thread on marijuana..

Verrry Interesting B)

That's what the thread was on.....? I guess i forgot :ph34r:

Ho hum off to take the clothes out of the fridge and hang the dishes out to dry .... and in case your wondering ... nothing illegal just gluten!!!!

Lisa Mentor

Ho hum off to take the clothes out of the fridge and hang the dishes out to dry .... and in case your wondering ... nothing illegal just gluten!!!!

That is funny! No munchies is it's just gluten. :ph34r:

Mtndog Collaborator

Yep- that was me last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r: Who needs to smoke when gluten has the same effect? :P

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

If only I wanted to listen to Pink Floyd and play video games after I was glutened...

Mtndog Collaborator
If only I wanted to listen to Pink Floyd and play video games after I was glutened...

exactly- instead i just get STUPID on gluten. And it's not cute, ditzy stupid. It's dangerously stupid.

miles2go Contributor

I sometimes take responsibility for things that I don't need to, so if this is the case, just ignore what I'm about to say, but I'm kind of laughing here. Last year, someone mentioned that they added protein powder to their smoothies. I remember who it was, but don't want to drag them into an argument...anyway, soon after that I was at the health food store looking for protein powder and ended up with Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Powder, which I added to my smoothies. Kind of blecch, but still added protein, which I really needed at the time. I then posted something about it non-specifically in the 10 things I love about celiac thread...and now people are arguing. I realize that the original post was about marijuana and not hemp; the two are about as similar as grapes and wine.

My only question is, my Nutiva's best before date is 12/21/06 (it was the only one they had), so should I toss it? My guess is that it will gradually go rancid, but I'm not sure if I can use it up at a reasonably quick rate. It smells fine.

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

• 2 years later...
sweetypie4008 Newbie

So i have two questions...

1. someone above stated that zig zags are not gluten free because of the adhesive used.. does that mean that you will get contamination from smoking a joint rolled from these or just from licking the adhesive?

and 2. do you think that sharing a bong with someone who has eaten gluten containing food in the past 12 hours will cause contamination?

i'm a newly diagnosed celiac and im trying to figure things out so any other similar info would also be helpful! thanks!! :)

Gemini Experienced
Since we're not suppossed to lick envelopes because the sticky adhesive contains gluten, I would also question the sticky adhesive on the rolling papers.

Not that I'd be advocating marijuana use, but God made marijuana and man made beer, who do you trust? B)

This was a very funny post! :D To answer your question, I trust God!

As far as the envelop situation goes, any envelopes made in the US are safe. You do have to check where the source is these days because so many products are made in China but my information is the most up to date and currant from valid Celiac associations. I keep up on these things because there are just far too many urban legends and misinformation with Celiac Disease, as regards to what you can and cannot come in contact with. USA made glues are manufactured with corn or rice, not wheat.

I don't know about the rolling papers as I don't use them but I would imagine that information would be easy to find out.

Gemini Experienced
Yes, God made marijuana and people made beer, yet God also made wheat--where do you draw the line?

In addition, I hardly think marijuana is a subject that should be discussed in an open forum with teenagers--it is an illegal substance. Don't bother throwing stones at me for my opinion--I just feel it's a subject that does not need to be discussed in this type of forum.

Marijuana is not illegal in my state....it's been decriminalized for small amounts. I also do not think it is such a taboo subject. If we as a society continue to glorify drinking, having a discussion about pot is not going to hurt anyone. Besides, most teens are experts on this subject whether they smoke or not...it's everywhere today and sweeping it under the rug is not helping matters at all. I honestly don't care what people do in the privacy of their homes and smoking pot is no different than having a glass of wine. It's the government who seems to have a problem with it.....as usual.

No stones thrown at all and your opinion is just as valued as anyone else's! ;)

msmini14 Enthusiast

I liked reading this thread because I agree with what most people have stated.

I know it was just a question about CC and it turned into a debate.

When I was a teenager we were not taught why we shouldnt do drugs, we were just told to say no. I think I would have had second thoughts about things at that age if I knew WHY we should stay away from drugs and alcohol. All though I do not consider pot a drug so when I talk about drugs, I mean pills, tobacco, alchohol and narcotics.

Some of my friends have kids and I always ask if they have spoke with them about drug use and most have. They give good details and they should. If only kids knew why not to use speed as an example, well lets see; it rots your teeth and cartilage in your face, you get massive break outs, your brain and body can not function, you can die and you age like crazy, the list could go on and on for that one drug.

This is a huge subject for me since I cant stand drugs and alcohol, I dont smoke but if I could legally I would.

Sweetypie, call the company who makes the papers and the answer would be yes to your second question. Only because your lips would get cc and then more than likely you would ingest gluten.

Salax Contributor

I have never seen any type of drug intervention of someone addicted to pot. Just saying....... B)

As far as the CC goes, if you wouldn't kiss someone with a "gluten'd" mouth, don't share a glass, straw, cig or anything else with them either. Just my two cents.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

remember everyone that the original thread is from 2007.

Roda Rising Star

I know that an allergy to marijuana is supposed to be not very common, but I was wondering if you have an allergy to hemp would you be allergic to marijuana? My son who is now 8 had a positive allergy test to hemp along with other weeds 2 1/2 years ago. If, when he gets much much older, and was to try it, would there be a chance he would be allergic? I would when the day comes to be as honest with him as possible. I could always tell him he is allergic to it and try it at his own risk! :lol: His allergy symptoms are hayfever type symptoms and rhinosinusitis not anaphylaxis.

msmini14 Enthusiast

I would warn him of the dangers, everyone has different reactions when it comes to allergies. I think kids should be warned and taught about drugs at a young age and as they get older explain more in detail.

ranger Enthusiast

I think everyone lost the original question..... Can you get CC'd smoking marijhuana? Not from the weed, but maybe from the papers or the glue on the papers. You'd have to call the company. I wouldn't kis anyone who just smoked one, because I can't stand the smell of the stuff!

But legalization is an interesting subject., but maybe on the discussion for anything but celiac thread.

• 3 weeks later...
Glamour Explorer

What about medical marijuana that is prescribed for some serious illnesses, and is legal.

Is it gluten free?

Archived