#1 MarisaB

MarisaB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hi,

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac and I'm at a total loss. I have been reading/absorbing all I can and I am still finding it overwhelming.
I have just found out that I am not only a celiac but I also am allergic to milk protien, chocolate, and walnuts. I believe there are a multitude of other food allergens...I am just having a hard time figuring out what they are.
I have been feeling great for the last week or so and then this weekend I got really sick. I was having a hard time figuring out if I had a virus or if I got glutened. The symptoms are the same for me. (Fatigued, muscle & joint pain, "D", every time I eat my stomach goes crazy). This has happened 2x's in the last two weeks. The only two things I can come up with are:
1. Kettle Chips- Sea Salt & Vinegar
2. San J's- Soy Sauce -No wheat

Does anyone else have a problem with either of these items?

Thank you,

Marisa
February 28th 2007
Allergic to Wheat, Chocolate, Walnuts, and Casien.
Gluten Free
Casien Free
Hypothyroid

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_lorlyn_*

Guest_lorlyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hey just wanted to say welcome to the board. I personally do not know about the products you were asking about but I am sure someone else will let you know. Just keep reading here and you will learn alot. This forum makes this crazy disease alot easier to deal with.

#3 MarisaB

MarisaB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hey just wanted to say welcome to the board. I personally do not know about the products you were asking about but I am sure someone else will let you know. Just keep reading here and you will learn alot. This forum makes this crazy disease alot easier to deal with.

February 28th 2007
Gluten Free
Casien Free
Hypothyroid

#4 MarisaB

MarisaB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have learned alot so far. You are right about it the message boards making it easier. That is all I can hope for right now. ;)
February 28th 2007
Gluten Free
Casien Free
Hypothyroid

#5 Nantzie

Nantzie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

The soy sauce is gluten-free.

I'm not sure about the Kettle Chips because I've never had them. On their site - http://www.kettlefoo...ndex.php?cID=88 - this is their gluten statement.

"Are your products gluten free?
Our products are processed on equipment shared with ingredients that contain very small amounts of wheat. We thoroughly clean our lines after each flavor run, but there is a slight potential of cross contamination. For your convenience we do list all ingredients on the packaging. "

I'm sure someone will be by to say if they've had problems with Kettle Chips. Some companies that have this type of statement are better than others.

The only other thing I can think of is if someone else was eating out of the same bag of chips any gluten that was on their hands would have gotten in the bag and made the rest of it no longer gluten-free.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#6 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

Some people here definitely react to Kettle Chips.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#7 Cuervo

Cuervo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hi MarisaB

The exact same thing happened to me. I have been gluton free for almost two months. THe first week I went Gluton free I felt great. I started back at the gym and taking the dog for evening walks. After about six days of that I ended up being bed ridden (again) for almost three whole days.

I was told it takes time. The first week was like a tease for me because after almost two months, I still dont' feel as good as I did the first week. It gets frustrating because I want to feel how I did two years ago.

Just this weekend I glutoned myself very badly. I spent Saturday and Sunday in bed and crawled through work yesterday then went straight to be when I got home. And the same today, I'm exhausted.

So it will take a while. I'm still waiting.
Its better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

#8 MarisaB

MarisaB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thank you all for the information. I guess maybe it was the chips. I'm gonna stay away from them just in case.

Cuervo, you are right- this is really frusterating. The first two weeks of being gluten free was great! After that it has been a rollercoaster ride. I feel great, I feel like crap, I feel great...ect. It is really hard to find the "small, sneaky gluten". It just pisses me off when I am being so careful and then I get sick! I know one of these days it will get easier, but right now I don't think my body can take anymore. OHHHH! Ok, I'm gonna stop complaining now. I just needed to vent a little.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really need it and really appreciate it.

Marisa
February 28th 2007
Gluten Free
Casien Free
Hypothyroid

#9 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

Gibbles potato chips are made in a gluten free factory. This was confirmed late last year and also two years ago. I eat them all the time with no issues whatsoever. Just a thought, if you're still pretty new to the diet your system may not be able to handle processed, fatty foods like potato chips.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#10 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

The best advice I ever got was basically do not eat it unless you know it is 100% gluten free. My diet is pretty much meat, veggies and fruit. Occasionally I will splurge and buy a gluten free mix or dessert, but man, they are so expensive. The last cake mix I bought was like $7.80. It was good, and I guess if I bought a cake at a bakery it would have cost $15.00 but anyway, I think gluten free mixes etc are extremely expensive. Stick to the basics and your pocketbook won't take it so hard. :)

BamBam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#11 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:09 AM

Dear MarisaB,
I have heard about people reacting to Kettle Chips, too. Utz has some good safe chips. I do not tolerate anything fried well. I had my gallbladder out, so I have to watch my fat intake. Otherwise, I have serious stomach issues. Since going gluten free, my severe reflux and nausea has improved. However, I too, found casein is not friendly to me! There is good news, though! The Chocolate Emporium sells gluten-free, casein-free, some nut-free confections. They also carry Kosher Parve stuff. Their cake mixes are terrific, too! I also found some soy cheese that is safe from those, but it has to be bought in bulk. They have four flavors at the Vegan Gourmet, which is online. It is $24.93 or so for mozzerella, nacho, cheddar, or jack flavor. I wish I could afford them! I miss pizza!
I also have a beginner's list for you.
I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!
1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.
2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.
3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.
4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.
Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:
Condiments:
Smart Balance Margerine
Crisco Shortening
Crisco Oil
Pompeiian Olive Oil
Great Value soy sauce
Heinz Ketchup
Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing
Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing
Pace Picante Sauce
Ortega Salsa
All Classico Red
All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations
Welch's Grape Jelly
Miracle Whip
Snack Foods:
Fritos
Tostitos
Lay's Stax Potato Chips Cool
Act II Microwave Popcorn
Utz Potato Chips (found at Sam's Wholesale Club)
Meat and Protein :
Eggs
Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Extra Lean ground beef
Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe
Cereals:
Cocoa Pebbles
Fruity Pebbles
Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars
Seasonings:
Durkee Cinnamon-ground
Durkee Ginger-ground
Durkee Chili powder
Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)
Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian
Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)
Miscellaneous:
Ortega Taco Shells
Starkist or Great Value Tuna
Butter Buds
Great Value Soy Milk
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Apples
Pears
Carrots
Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables
Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables
Ore Ida Tater Tots
Ore Ida French Fries
Hormel Chili
Hormel Spam
Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)
Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)
Plumrose Bacon
PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)
Beverages:
Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)
Diet Rite
Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)
Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)
Arizona Teas
Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice
Some Household Items that are safe include:
Cascade Dishwashing Detergent
All Laundry Detergent
Wisk Laundry Detergent
Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)
SoftSoap Hand Soaps
Murphy's Oil Soap
Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:
Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)
Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes
Colgate Toothpastes
Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)
Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)
CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)
Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)
Olay Quench Body Lotion
Crest WhiteStrips
Colgate Simply White
I hope this helps! I took the time to erase any dairy containing items on here. I should warn you there are some items that are less obvious that have casein in them. Johnsonville Bratwurst, Cool Whip, and other items often have it. The good thing is, Kraft products have a clear labeling policy. So does Great Value's brand found at Wal-Mart.

If you want to be sure about other foods, a rotation diet is the best way to identify them. I need to do one myself. They are so many possibilities for us! I know I have an overgrowth of Candida yeast, which makes me sick when I eat yeast. So, I have had to replace it with baking powder to the best of my ability in recipes. For the Chocolate Emporium, just go to www.choclat.com and check it out!

Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#12 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:11 AM

The best advice I ever got was basically do not eat it unless you know it is 100% gluten free. My diet is pretty much meat, veggies and fruit. Occasionally I will splurge and buy a gluten free mix or dessert, but man, they are so expensive. The last cake mix I bought was like $7.80. It was good, and I guess if I bought a cake at a bakery it would have cost $15.00 but anyway, I think gluten free mixes etc are extremely expensive. Stick to the basics and your pocketbook won't take it so hard. :)

BamBam

Dear BamBam,
That is mostly what I do as well. The specialty foods for the most part are too expensive. That is impossible on our budget. So, when I can, I get cake mix from the Chocolate Emporium. It is terrific! You have to make a minimum order of $15, but each cake mix is $3.29 per box. There are three kinds. With shipping, I paid a little less than $20 altogether. I would love to try some of their chocolate next!
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#13 madi

madi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

Hi Marissa,
the salt and pepper kettle chips have made me feel wretched sick before. They have milk in them, which many celiacs cannot digest.
Almost all chips have milk and maltodextrin and natural flavoring. I've found a few flavors of Dirty brand chips to be safe. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm new to the diet and am having a lot of trouble getting everything straight. I am a vegan as well so my diet is SUPER limited. still I always mess up trying to eat when I'm away from home. The only sfe thing i can eat out is veggie sushi with my personal wheat free soy sauce. good luck and let me know what else you find out!

madi

#14 rsm

rsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Hi MarisaB

The exact same thing happened to me. I have been gluton free for almost two months. THe first week I went Gluton free I felt great. I started back at the gym and taking the dog for evening walks. After about six days of that I ended up being bed ridden (again) for almost three whole days.

I was told it takes time. The first week was like a tease for me because after almost two months, I still dont' feel as good as I did the first week. It gets frustrating because I want to feel how I did two years ago.

Just this weekend I glutoned myself very badly. I spent Saturday and Sunday in bed and crawled through work yesterday then went straight to be when I got home. And the same today, I'm exhausted.

So it will take a while. I'm still waiting.

ME TOO!
I felt like I was walking on the clouds the first week and then poof, I was sick again. After 4 weeks I do feel much better but I'm still waiting for that great feeling from the first week.

#15 Cuervo

Cuervo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

ME TOO!
I felt like I was walking on the clouds the first week and then poof, I was sick again. After 4 weeks I do feel much better but I'm still waiting for that great feeling from the first week.

I still have not returned to the gym, since the first week. I miss it, but I'm still just too tired. Its still hard enough for me doing all my household chores. Those are my exercise for now....
Its better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: