This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm New

MarisaB

MarisaB Newbie

Hi,

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac and I'm at a total loss. I have been reading/absorbing all I can and I am still finding it overwhelming.

I have just found out that I am not only a celiac but I also am allergic to milk protien, chocolate, and walnuts. I believe there are a multitude of other food allergens...I am just having a hard time figuring out what they are.

I have been feeling great for the last week or so and then this weekend I got really sick. I was having a hard time figuring out if I had a virus or if I got glutened. The symptoms are the same for me. (Fatigued, muscle & joint pain, "D", every time I eat my stomach goes crazy). This has happened 2x's in the last two weeks. The only two things I can come up with are:

1. Kettle Chips- Sea Salt & Vinegar

2. San J's- Soy Sauce -No wheat

Does anyone else have a problem with either of these items?

Thank you,

Marisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest lorlyn

Hey just wanted to say welcome to the board. I personally do not know about the products you were asking about but I am sure someone else will let you know. Just keep reading here and you will learn alot. This forum makes this crazy disease alot easier to deal with.

MarisaB Newbie
Hey just wanted to say welcome to the board. I personally do not know about the products you were asking about but I am sure someone else will let you know. Just keep reading here and you will learn alot. This forum makes this crazy disease alot easier to deal with.
MarisaB Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have learned alot so far. You are right about it the message boards making it easier. That is all I can hope for right now. ;)

Nantzie Collaborator

The soy sauce is gluten-free.

I'm not sure about the Kettle Chips because I've never had them. On their site - Open Original Shared Link - this is their gluten statement.

"Are your products gluten free?

Our products are processed on equipment shared with ingredients that contain very small amounts of wheat. We thoroughly clean our lines after each flavor run, but there is a slight potential of cross contamination. For your convenience we do list all ingredients on the packaging. "

I'm sure someone will be by to say if they've had problems with Kettle Chips. Some companies that have this type of statement are better than others.

The only other thing I can think of is if someone else was eating out of the same bag of chips any gluten that was on their hands would have gotten in the bag and made the rest of it no longer gluten-free.

Nancy

Mango04 Enthusiast

Some people here definitely react to Kettle Chips.

Cuervo Rookie

Hi MarisaB

The exact same thing happened to me. I have been gluton free for almost two months. THe first week I went Gluton free I felt great. I started back at the gym and taking the dog for evening walks. After about six days of that I ended up being bed ridden (again) for almost three whole days.

I was told it takes time. The first week was like a tease for me because after almost two months, I still dont' feel as good as I did the first week. It gets frustrating because I want to feel how I did two years ago.

Just this weekend I glutoned myself very badly. I spent Saturday and Sunday in bed and crawled through work yesterday then went straight to be when I got home. And the same today, I'm exhausted.

So it will take a while. I'm still waiting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MarisaB Newbie

Thank you all for the information. I guess maybe it was the chips. I'm gonna stay away from them just in case.

Cuervo, you are right- this is really frusterating. The first two weeks of being gluten free was great! After that it has been a rollercoaster ride. I feel great, I feel like crap, I feel great...ect. It is really hard to find the "small, sneaky gluten". It just pisses me off when I am being so careful and then I get sick! I know one of these days it will get easier, but right now I don't think my body can take anymore. OHHHH! Ok, I'm gonna stop complaining now. I just needed to vent a little.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really need it and really appreciate it.

Marisa

Guhlia Rising Star

Gibbles potato chips are made in a gluten free factory. This was confirmed late last year and also two years ago. I eat them all the time with no issues whatsoever. Just a thought, if you're still pretty new to the diet your system may not be able to handle processed, fatty foods like potato chips.

BamBam Community Regular

The best advice I ever got was basically do not eat it unless you know it is 100% gluten free. My diet is pretty much meat, veggies and fruit. Occasionally I will splurge and buy a gluten free mix or dessert, but man, they are so expensive. The last cake mix I bought was like $7.80. It was good, and I guess if I bought a cake at a bakery it would have cost $15.00 but anyway, I think gluten free mixes etc are extremely expensive. Stick to the basics and your pocketbook won't take it so hard. :)

BamBam

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear MarisaB,

I have heard about people reacting to Kettle Chips, too. Utz has some good safe chips. I do not tolerate anything fried well. I had my gallbladder out, so I have to watch my fat intake. Otherwise, I have serious stomach issues. Since going gluten free, my severe reflux and nausea has improved. However, I too, found casein is not friendly to me! There is good news, though! The Chocolate Emporium sells gluten-free, casein-free, some nut-free confections. They also carry Kosher Parve stuff. Their cake mixes are terrific, too! I also found some soy cheese that is safe from those, but it has to be bought in bulk. They have four flavors at the Vegan Gourmet, which is online. It is $24.93 or so for mozzerella, nacho, cheddar, or jack flavor. I wish I could afford them! I miss pizza!

I also have a beginner's list for you.

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Miracle Whip

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Stax Potato Chips Cool

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Utz Potato Chips (found at Sam's Wholesale Club)

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

Hormel Chili

Hormel Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)

Plumrose Bacon

PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)

Beverages:

Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)

Diet Rite

Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)

Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)

Arizona Teas

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice

Some Household Items that are safe include:

Cascade Dishwashing Detergent

All Laundry Detergent

Wisk Laundry Detergent

Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)

SoftSoap Hand Soaps

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Colgate Toothpastes

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Crest WhiteStrips

Colgate Simply White

I hope this helps! I took the time to erase any dairy containing items on here. I should warn you there are some items that are less obvious that have casein in them. Johnsonville Bratwurst, Cool Whip, and other items often have it. The good thing is, Kraft products have a clear labeling policy. So does Great Value's brand found at Wal-Mart.

If you want to be sure about other foods, a rotation diet is the best way to identify them. I need to do one myself. They are so many possibilities for us! I know I have an overgrowth of Candida yeast, which makes me sick when I eat yeast. So, I have had to replace it with baking powder to the best of my ability in recipes. For the Chocolate Emporium, just go to www.choclat.com and check it out!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl Contributor
The best advice I ever got was basically do not eat it unless you know it is 100% gluten free. My diet is pretty much meat, veggies and fruit. Occasionally I will splurge and buy a gluten free mix or dessert, but man, they are so expensive. The last cake mix I bought was like $7.80. It was good, and I guess if I bought a cake at a bakery it would have cost $15.00 but anyway, I think gluten free mixes etc are extremely expensive. Stick to the basics and your pocketbook won't take it so hard. :)

BamBam

Dear BamBam,

That is mostly what I do as well. The specialty foods for the most part are too expensive. That is impossible on our budget. So, when I can, I get cake mix from the Chocolate Emporium. It is terrific! You have to make a minimum order of $15, but each cake mix is $3.29 per box. There are three kinds. With shipping, I paid a little less than $20 altogether. I would love to try some of their chocolate next!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

madi Newbie

Hi Marissa,

the salt and pepper kettle chips have made me feel wretched sick before. They have milk in them, which many celiacs cannot digest.

Almost all chips have milk and maltodextrin and natural flavoring. I've found a few flavors of Dirty brand chips to be safe. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm new to the diet and am having a lot of trouble getting everything straight. I am a vegan as well so my diet is SUPER limited. still I always mess up trying to eat when I'm away from home. The only sfe thing i can eat out is veggie sushi with my personal wheat free soy sauce. good luck and let me know what else you find out!

madi

rsm Newbie
Hi MarisaB

The exact same thing happened to me. I have been gluton free for almost two months. THe first week I went Gluton free I felt great. I started back at the gym and taking the dog for evening walks. After about six days of that I ended up being bed ridden (again) for almost three whole days.

I was told it takes time. The first week was like a tease for me because after almost two months, I still dont' feel as good as I did the first week. It gets frustrating because I want to feel how I did two years ago.

Just this weekend I glutoned myself very badly. I spent Saturday and Sunday in bed and crawled through work yesterday then went straight to be when I got home. And the same today, I'm exhausted.

So it will take a while. I'm still waiting.

ME TOO!

I felt like I was walking on the clouds the first week and then poof, I was sick again. After 4 weeks I do feel much better but I'm still waiting for that great feeling from the first week.

Cuervo Rookie
ME TOO!

I felt like I was walking on the clouds the first week and then poof, I was sick again. After 4 weeks I do feel much better but I'm still waiting for that great feeling from the first week.

I still have not returned to the gym, since the first week. I miss it, but I'm still just too tired. Its still hard enough for me doing all my household chores. Those are my exercise for now....

MarisaB Newbie

Well, I'm really relieved to hear that I am not the only one having issues.

Noglugirl, thanks for the list. That is going to be really helpful for me when I go to the store. Getting familiar with the brands that are gluten free is hard. I spend so much time reading labels/ingredients at the store. You saved me a few hours with that list. Thank you!

Guhlia, BamBam and Madi, thanks for the info about the chips. I didn't realize some of them had milk in them. I am really allergic to milk so that probably sent me over the edge. :(

I guess it is a good thing that I am learning something new everyday. Thanks for all your help!

MarisaB

NoGluGirl Contributor
Well, I'm really relieved to hear that I am not the only one having issues.

Noglugirl, thanks for the list. That is going to be really helpful for me when I go to the store. Getting familiar with the brands that are gluten free is hard. I spend so much time reading labels/ingredients at the store. You saved me a few hours with that list. Thank you!

Guhlia, BamBam and Madi, thanks for the info about the chips. I didn't realize some of them had milk in them. I am really allergic to milk so that probably sent me over the edge. :(

I guess it is a good thing that I am learning something new everyday. Thanks for all your help!

MarisaB

Dear Marisa,

You are very welcome! ;) This is such a frustrating circumstance. Easing it for anyone when you can should be done. I cannot have milk either. I had some chocolate yesturday with it, and now I am paying for it! :( No more of that! It will just have to come from the Chocolate Emporium from now on! I am glad the list was helpful. I did not expect them to be putting diary in chips either except for cheese flavored ones, but it is in a lot that you never would have thought about. Lay's Stax are the only ones I will buy from now on. Only the plain ones will be safe for me most likely.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Susanna Newbie

MarisaB--sorry you're having such a tough time! It is tough in the beginning, and it sounds like you are still finding out about additional food allergies. If things don't settle down soon, you might have to consider an addition diet--this is pretty drastic, but it does help you pinpoint what you can and can't tolerate. You would just eat one food, like rice for several days, and if you tolerate it, you add another mild food like applesauce, then after a few days you keep adding: almond butter on your rice cake, etc. until you figure it all out. Good luck. But, more generally speaking, here are my gluten-free newbie tips--now you can eat to treat, and soon feel better. Here are some key coping strategies to get you started.

1. Know that you will grieve your old favorite gluten-filled foods. I actually tear up when I see a brioche sometimes. Grieving is normal. People around you will eat treats you can't have and you will feel sad and isolated. Strategy: stock your car, office, purse, backpack, secret drawer at home with gluten-free treats you can reach for any time you are feeling deprived. This really helped me. I recommend Skittles and Starbursts for you, because they're gluten-free and also lack those other foods you mentioned that your'e allergic to. Meringue cookies, macaroon cookies (read labels) would also work for you. You get the idea.

2. Know that it will take time (months, probably) to figure out what to eat (it took me 6 mos.) and during this time, it'll be kind of a daily challenge to plan meals. Every time you go to the store it'll be a challenge to choose groceries. Strategy: plan on an hour--don't bring kids or friends. Go the bathroom before you start grocery shopping. Bring your reading glasses--read every label. The good news is, THIS GETS MUCH BETTER OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL MONTHS AS YOU GET USED TO TO THE DIET.

3. It may take a while for your gut to heal, depending on how damaged it was at the time you went gluten free. So, you are going to have to be patient with your body--some people feel better immediately after going gluten-free, but most of us take longer than that. Don't give up if you don't see instant results. Strategy: Maximize your general health by getting enough rest, water, exercise, and limiting stress. Maximize your digestive health by limiting foods that are hard on the gastrointestinal tract until you're feeling better: limit irritants like dairy (you're limiting dairy anyway), caffeine, alcohol, and fried foods--these are all hard to digest--go back to them when you feel your gut is recovering.

4. Accept right now that it will be YOUR job to teach those around you about your diet

Cuervo Rookie

The Thia Kitchen food is awsome. I discovered it about a month ago and since then it seems like the grocery stores here in Manitoba have slowly started carrying more and more of the line. Every time I go into a grocery store there is more options. I have even seen it at Macs stores.

:lol:

MarisaB Newbie

Susanna,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate the info about the skittles and starbursts. That does help. I get cravings for sweets and everything has milk or chocolate in it so, I am usually left without. I am also having a difficult time finding milk free carob, so being able to grab a packet of these once in a while is great!

I really appreciate the list of food ideas. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed and simple recipe ideas just excape me. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Are you in or from Arizona? I'm curious because of the Grand Canyon photo you have posted. I am from Arizona

Marisa

NoGluGirl Contributor
Susanna,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate the info about the skittles and starbursts. That does help. I get cravings for sweets and everything has milk or chocolate in it so, I am usually left without. I am also having a difficult time finding milk free carob, so being able to grab a packet of these once in a while is great!

I really appreciate the list of food ideas. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed and simple recipe ideas just excape me. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Are you in or from Arizona? I'm curious because of the Grand Canyon photo you have posted. I am from Arizona

Marisa

Dear Susanna,

The Zone Bars in those flavors are safe? They have dairy though, don't they? Those things would really be great to have for when I go out. My blood sugar gets low. That diet is great for helping with balancing it.

Dear Marisa,

In all truth, there seems to be more junk food we are allowed than healthy stuff. I understand your chocolate dilemma. I have had to give up the dairy as well. However, I was able to find The Chocolate Emporium. Go to www.choclat.com and you can get dairy-free, nut-free, and gluten free goodies! They also have soy-free, gluten-free, casein-free chocolate chips. They have great cake mixes, too!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Susanna Newbie

Hey, Marisa--yeah, I'm from Flagstaff (Go Lumberjacks!!)--where do you live? I know you're probably feeling kind of overwhelmed right now, but we humans are incredibly good at adaptation and you'll be amazed how much easier this all seems in a few months. Here's your chance to practice patience. Good luck.

NoGluGirl--yes, the Zone Bars I mentioned are gluten-free. I called the company and asked. They have other varieties that are also gluten-free, but I didn't like them and so didn't remember which others were on the list. They are planning to come out with new packaging that will make it easier for us. For camping/hiking, I LOVE to take Zone Bars, or Lara Bars along, and beef jerky or turkey jerky are perfect for that, too.

Susanna

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Hi,

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac and I'm at a total loss. I have been reading/absorbing all I can and I am still finding it overwhelming.

I have just found out that I am not only a celiac but I also am allergic to milk protien, chocolate, and walnuts. I believe there are a multitude of other food allergens...I am just having a hard time figuring out what they are.

I have been feeling great for the last week or so and then this weekend I got really sick. I was having a hard time figuring out if I had a virus or if I got glutened. The symptoms are the same for me. (Fatigued, muscle & joint pain, "D", every time I eat my stomach goes crazy). This has happened 2x's in the last two weeks. The only two things I can come up with are:

Thank you,

Marisa

Hi Marisa, you'll find way too much advice here! My suggestions are to eat gentle food, like baked chicken and ground beef dinners and lots of well-cooked veggies. They'll be easier for you to digest right now than raw. If you feel a reaction to raw fruit, it's always easy to throw it in a pyrex dish and put some cinnamon and honey on top and bake it tender. I agree with everyone that I'd lay off the fried foods, potato chips included. They can actually be quite poisonous, and Kettle brand is at the top of the list for 'ick' factor. ->Open Original Shared Link Here's the link that explains why.

Also, try to find a health food store and get a gently natural probiotic and maybe some papaya enzyme. They'll help you digest the food you're eating. And eat lots of avoccado and raw olive and coconut oil. They have good fats that repair your cells. I actually really like scrambled eggs with diced tomato and avocado, nice simple dinner.

Guest celiacsher
Hi,

Thank you,

Marisa

Stay away from vinegar. It is very acidic and can be really hard on our sensitive bellies.

sherri

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hey, Marisa--yeah, I'm from Flagstaff (Go Lumberjacks!!)--where do you live? I know you're probably feeling kind of overwhelmed right now, but we humans are incredibly good at adaptation and you'll be amazed how much easier this all seems in a few months. Here's your chance to practice patience. Good luck.

NoGluGirl--yes, the Zone Bars I mentioned are gluten-free. I called the company and asked. They have other varieties that are also gluten-free, but I didn't like them and so didn't remember which others were on the list. They are planning to come out with new packaging that will make it easier for us. For camping/hiking, I LOVE to take Zone Bars, or Lara Bars along, and beef jerky or turkey jerky are perfect for that, too.

Susanna

Dear Susanna,

Wahoo! :P I want to start doing the Zone again. I had more energy and mental clarity on it! I have been having difficulty finding more affordable portable food. These are good, too! I had the Chocolate Coconut Crunch before, and loved it! It was delicious! That diet is also easy to do when you have to be gluten-free and casein-free!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived