This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm New

MarisaB

Susanna Newbie
Dear Susanna,

Wahoo! :P I want to start doing the Zone again. I had more energy and mental clarity on it! I have been having difficulty finding more affordable portable food. These are good, too! I had the Chocolate Coconut Crunch before, and loved it! It was delicious! That diet is also easy to do when you have to be gluten-free and casein-free!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

So glad I could help! You go, girl!

Susanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Susanna Newbie

Mariss--I'm trying to think of treats you could eat.

What if you made rice pudding and used almond milk instead of cow milk?

What if you got the angel cake mixes from Gluten Free Pantry (I bought them at www.amazon .com) and some you could make like regular angel food cake, and some you could sprinkle in carob powder to make it kind of chocolatey?

What if you looked in the kosher foods section of your regular grocery store for macaroons? They come in a cardboard cannister. Read labels, but these generally are gluten-free, have very few ingredients, so no preservatives or additives, AND THEY'RE CHEAP, and tasty too.

What if you made hot "cocoa" with almond milk and sugar and carob powder (you should be able to get carob powder at the health food store). Maybe carob powder would work for brownies too.

A dietician once told me that butter is lactose free, because lactose is in the sugar/carbohydrate part of the milk, and butter is the fat part of the milk. So you might experiment and see if you can tolerate butter.

Good luck,

Susanna

MarisaB Newbie

Hey Suz-

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. Thanks for the tips for my "sweet tooth". Carob has been a life saver for me. Just a few carob covered raisins do the trick.

For now, I am staying away from potato chips and anything fried. I have gotten the hang of cooking dinner...but lunch is still hard. Eating out is impossible and I am having nightmares about being glutened! This is crazy! I keep hearing that this will become easier, but it is so overwhelming.

As for Az. I am from Gilbert, Az. A town just 30 min south east of Phoenix. I currently live in Austin, Tx but my family is scattered around Arizona. I had a lot of friends that went to NAU. It is a beautiful town. I miss the Arizona sunsets. Nothing compares!!! (not in my mind at least) :)

M-

sansglutengrl Explorer

Hey MarisaB,

I just wanted to add this in as well - I've never actually had Kettle Chips, so I can't speak to that - but I've never been able to handle that SanJ's soy sauce. I have a problem every time I try it (sad because I looooove soy sauce.... I would eat in on cereal if I could.:)), and I have no idea why. I know that it's safe, and I don't even seem to be so sensitive to soy because I'm able to tolerate some soy products. I just think that maybe in the beginning stages it can be too strong on the tummy? Just wanted to add that in, hope everything is well!

-sansglutengrl

MarisaB Newbie

I think that maybe the San-J's was giving me some trouble. I have since decided to stay away from it. I am feeling better this last week...not sure if it is becuase I cut out the soy sauce or the kettle chips. ;)

NoGluGirl Contributor
I think that maybe the San-J's was giving me some trouble. I have since decided to stay away from it. I am feeling better this last week...not sure if it is becuase I cut out the soy sauce or the kettle chips. ;)

Dear Marisa,

I have had nightmares about being glutened too! A lot of us do! I dreamt the other week I was eating Cheez-Its (miss those!) and woke up freaked out because I was afraid I was going to get sick! Then I realized it was a dream! :lol: I also have food lust dreams about foods I cannot eat anymore.

I find myself watching the Sopranos and drooling about the delicious baked ziti they are eating, or the spaghetti and ragu sauce with huge meatballs! Last night, I dreamt about brownies with tons of icing!

Dear Susanna,

I appreciate the help! I am so glad there is something I can finally bring with me. I have low blood sugar. That makes it essential I have something with me when I go out! I am tired of worrying!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

stennis07 Newbie
The best advice I ever got was basically do not eat it unless you know it is 100% gluten free. My diet is pretty much meat, veggies and fruit. Occasionally I will splurge and buy a gluten free mix or dessert, but man, they are so expensive. The last cake mix I bought was like $7.80. It was good, and I guess if I bought a cake at a bakery it would have cost $15.00 but anyway, I think gluten free mixes etc are extremely expensive. Stick to the basics and your pocketbook won't take it so hard. :)

BamBam

I WOULD stick to this simple in-expensive diet, but I'M A RUNNER. I NEED carbs or something...I got diagnosed a couple weeks ago...and I think my body is in denial--it hates wheat, but it wants it back at the same time! I have been sucking it up at practices and track meets, but I'm soo weak feeling- when I was eating wheat, I had more energy in my big toe than I have now! wtf...honestly...

*Forgive me of my ranting...its been tough dealing with my friends..etc."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmd3 Contributor
Also, try to find a health food store and get a gently natural probiotic and maybe some papaya enzyme. They'll help you digest the food you're eating. And eat lots of avoccado and raw olive and coconut oil. They have good fats that repair your cells. I actually really like scrambled eggs with diced tomato and avocado, nice simple dinner.

Where are you finding the coconut oil?? I have been looking for it all over our town, plus the surrounding towns - can't find it anywhere - any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

jmd3 Contributor
Dear Marisa,

I have had nightmares about being glutened too! A lot of us do! I dreamt the other week I was eating Cheez-Its (miss those!) and woke up freaked out because I was afraid I was going to get sick! Then I realized it was a dream! :lol: I also have food lust dreams about foods I cannot eat anymore.

I find myself watching the Sopranos and drooling about the delicious baked ziti they are eating, or the spaghetti and ragu sauce with huge meatballs! Last night, I dreamt about brownies with tons of icing!

Dear Susanna,

I appreciate the help! I am so glad there is something I can finally bring with me. I have low blood sugar. That makes it essential I have something with me when I go out! I am tired of worrying!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

My GI Doc told me that Duncan Hines - Homestyle icing was gluten free - I have not called to check on it - but perhaps some gluten-free cookies with the icing might satisfy your cravings.

zkat Apprentice
I WOULD stick to this simple in-expensive diet, but I'M A RUNNER. I NEED carbs or something...I got diagnosed a couple weeks ago...and I think my body is in denial--it hates wheat, but it wants it back at the same time! I have been sucking it up at practices and track meets, but I'm soo weak feeling- when I was eating wheat, I had more energy in my big toe than I have now! wtf...honestly...

I am also a runner, play on two soccer leagues and lift 3x a week. There are many other sources of carbs out there and your body actually utilizes them better than wheat. Fruits and vegetables, Rice, baked sweet potatoes, corn chips, corn tortillas, and snickers bars :P can all give you the energy you need. Also, gatorade is gluten free and it will help some with carbs. I regulary eat between 150-200 carbs a day. The hardest for me was post workout recovery drink. I cannot tolerate soy either, so all commercial whey protiens were out. I recently discovered egg white protien and I mix it with pure dextrose in a 2:1 ratio.

Hang in there. Once you get through the adjustment period, you will be amazed at the gains you will make on the track. I dropped a full minute per mile off my times (I am also 32-not an easy task) and my nagging injuries seem to all heal, mainly the shin splints and strained back and quad muscles.

It is very possible that since you have cut out the gluten, you have not added back in other sources of carbs-leaving you feeling drained. You might try logging your food for a couple of days and see where you end up. I use fitday, but there are several programs out there.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear stennis07,

You could be going through withdrawal. You tend to be addicted to what you are allergic to. The good news is, it gets easier. I actually did not seem to experience withdrawal. My reaction is very violent, so I do not get tempted to cheat at all. My blood sugar tends to drop, so I eat small frequent meals. The Zone Diet is what I recommend to keep your blood sugar up, and give you more energy and mental clarity. I tend to get sluggish if I eat a ton of tortilla chips and salsa. I do better with a mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats.

Dear jmd3,

The coconut oil can be found at www.gococonuts.com but it is more expensive there. However, I have found it online before. I did a search and found it on amazon .com for you. Here is the URL: Open Original Shared Link .com/Extra-Virgin-Coconut...6/dp/B00016UUQ2 the price is not bad, either. This stuff has a lot of health benefits. Plus, it is the consistency of shortening when you get it. That makes it helpful for baking!

As far as the Duncan Heinz goes, I have been waiting on a confirmation myself. I do not know if I can have it since it may have dairy. I pretty much completely avoid it. Once in a while, some in chocolate does not bother me. However, if I eat pudding, I get as sick as if I had eaten gluten.

In case you guys need it, here is my beginner's list:

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (all Lea & Perrins Products are safe)

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and *White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip*

Philadelphia Cream Cheese*

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)*

Snack Foods:

Utz Potato Chips (Found at Sam

cekeren Newbie

I am a new Celiac for the past 4 months - have been watching what i eat very carefully - finding that even with watching what i am eating i have reactions to some nuts, fruit and maybe even milk - havent pin pointed it down to what it still causing my stomach to go crazy (especially in the evenings) - i dont eat a lot anyway but am getting frustrated as to why my stomach is still going crazy on me! [

quote name='MarisaB' date='Apr 10 2007, 12:33 PM' post='289691']

Hi,

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac and I'm at a total loss. I have been reading/absorbing all I can and I am still finding it overwhelming.

I have just found out that I am not only a celiac but I also am allergic to milk protien, chocolate, and walnuts. I believe there are a multitude of other food allergens...I am just having a hard time figuring out what they are.

I have been feeling great for the last week or so and then this weekend I got really sick. I was having a hard time figuring out if I had a virus or if I got glutened. The symptoms are the same for me. (Fatigued, muscle & joint pain, "D", every time I eat my stomach goes crazy). This has happened 2x's in the last two weeks. The only two things I can come up with are:

1. Kettle Chips- Sea Salt & Vinegar

2. San J's- Soy Sauce -No wheat

Does anyone else have a problem with either of these items?

Thank you,

Marisa

Archived