15 replies to this topic

#1 moonchild

moonchild

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

My recipe for poppyseed dressing calls for French's mustard. Does anyone know if it is gluten-free? I know that Hellman's Dijonnaise is gluten-free, but it doesn't taste good in the dressing.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

My recipe for poppyseed dressing calls for French's mustard. Does anyone know if it is gluten-free? I know that Hellman's Dijonnaise is gluten-free, but it doesn't taste good in the dressing.

Hummm, thinking. If French's is a Kraft product, it will clearly list.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

French's regular mustard is gluten-free; I use it all the time.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#4 moonchild

moonchild

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

French's regular mustard is gluten-free; I use it all the time.

Thanks so much for your help!

#5 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

You're very welcome :)
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#6 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

This is from the French's website questions section,

Q: Are FRENCH'SŪ Mustards gluten free?
A: Yes, they are gluten free.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#7 simplicity66

simplicity66

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:37 AM

I use French's mustard all the time as well.....just a tip for ones using Hellmans Mayo....to make the taste alittle better i add a few drops of lemon juice .... its a really close second to regular mayo....i use this for a dipping sauce for chicken fingers....for added taste you can also add a bit of caynenne pepper a little bit of a kick to it....

#8 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

.....just a tip for ones using Hellmans Mayo....to make the taste alittle better i add a few drops of lemon juice .... its a really close second to regular mayo.....

s66,

Clarification please. I consider Hellmans to be regular mayo. What do you consider to be regular mayo? Thank you.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

s66,

Clarification please. I consider Hellmans to be regular mayo. What do you consider to be regular mayo? Thank you.

best regards, lm

I thought she just added a little umph to mayo, Hellmans or not, to add a little zipp.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:59 AM

I thought she just added a little umph to mayo, Hellmans or not, to add a little zipp.

MG,

Yes, I agree about adding the lemon juice to add a little zip. My question for s66 (which I think only he/she could really answer), was regarding the "its a really close second to regular mayo" part.

"...just a tip for ones using Hellmans Mayo...to make the taste alittle better i add a few drops of lemon juice...its a really close second to regular mayo...."

What's regular mayo? What's the zippy Hellmans a close second to? I don't care one way or another what it is, I'm just curious about it.

I wasn't trying to start trouble or be critical or anything like that. I've always had an interest in the way people develop preferences as a result of family influences. And then how some stick with it and others change when free of same.

Good example, there seems to be two basic family groups. Mayo families (Hellmans, Kraft, many others, mayonaise), and Salad Dressing (Miracle Whip, many others). Two distinctly different products most often referred to as mayo, although Miracle Whip is not actually technically Mayo. Mayo contains eggs.

Run out of time, late for work. Sorry.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#11 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:08 AM

Regular mayo is raw egg, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and an emulsifier like mustard optional....

anything else is something close to mayo with additives....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#12 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

Good example, there seems to be two basic family groups. Mayo families (Hellmans, Kraft, many others, mayonaise), and Salad Dressing (Miracle Whip, many others). Two distinctly different products most often referred to as mayo, although Miracle Whip is not actually technically Mayo. Mayo contains eggs.

That's so true. You are either a mayo or a Miracle Whip person. LOL
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#13 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

Regular mayo is raw egg, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and an emulsifier like mustard optional....

anything else is something close to mayo with additives....

gfp,

I'm going to have to disagree a little here. Regular mayo is somewhat ambiguous, could be whatever anyone thinks it is. "Real" mayo though, is egg, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and....

best regards, lm

p.s., We still need simplicity66 to clear up this mayo mystery!

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

#14 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

The recipe given is how you make "real" mayo yourself. I use Hellman's, which I consider real mayo (as compared to Miracle Whip), but even Hellman's has ingredients one wouldn't use in a fresh, homemade mayo. And they do taste different.

richard

#15 hoggja

hoggja

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

This may be an old topic, but it is very new for me. I usually eat Heinz yellow mustard and have not had any
problems with it. I accidentally used Frenchs on my hamburger, and within 1/2 an hour, I started to react.
I have been diagnosed with Celiacs since June 2012 and have been doing great. I started to bloat up, got a headache,
dizzy, very red eyes, red spots on my thighs and severe stomach ache. I have vomited several times, not food,
but maybe blood. I have reacted to other grain alcohols which being distilled, are supposed to be safe.

I have read that Frenches yellow mustard is gluten free to 20 ppm, but the source of the vinegar is ethyl alcohol, which can come from wheat. This is the article I read: http://celiacdisease...ree-Mustard.htm

I know I am very sensitive, but has anyone else had issues with Frenchs mustard???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: