19 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

Does anyone else have aproblem with coffee. The last 2 times i drank it, i got nauseous for about an hour and felt terrible. I need a caffeine pick me up in the morning, what could i drink to give me a boost in the morning besides coffee? Thanks everyone.
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

Dear holdthe gluten,

I can't drink coffee either. I get sick just like you do. Tea has cafeen in it but not as much. Coke has it too, but tht adds sugar also. I drink tea.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#3 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Dear holdthegluten,

I can't drink coffee either. I get sick just like you do. Tea has cafeen in it but not as much. Coke has it too, but tht adds sugar also. I drink tea.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#4 flowergirl

flowergirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

You don't want to be drinking coffee while recovering on the gluten-free diet or if you have inflammation... if ever. Coffee is a strong gut irritant and will slow your progress significantly. Google the words "coffee gut irritant" and you'll find heaps of proof.
Gluten intolerant - self diagnosed 2007 (not willing to do gluten challenge) and anemic
no dairy, soy, legumes, eggs, sugar, chocolate
no baked and processed foods (also gluten-free bakery) and high GI (due to hypoglycemia)
enjoy brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa and polenta instead
neurological symptoms flare up when glutened and in times of stress
following paleo diet, lots of raw fruit and veg, omega 3 oils, nuts

I feel heathy and able to function for the first time in my life. Thank God.
Organic food gives a great advantage.
Kefir rules!

On a mission to get rid of Candida overgrowth after a stressful event dropped my immune system. On a strict anti-candida diet using herbs and natural remedies. No meds or drugs to make it worse thanks.

http://www.gilbertss...com/candida.php
http://www.candidasu...rg/candida.html

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

You don't want to be drinking coffee while recovering on the gluten-free diet or if you have inflammation... if ever. Coffee is a strong gut irritant and will slow your progress significantly

This is only true for some, not for all. Coffee has never bothered me, never. Tea has bothered me. I stopped drinking tea for a long time after going gluten free, I never stopped with my coffee. We are all different and no standard other than being completely gluten free is true for "all".

Some gluten intolerant have to give up dairy, but not all, I didn't. Some gluten intolerant can tolerate soy, some of us can't.

Coffee is bad for those who can't tolerate it, but it is fine for those of us who can.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Coffee has always given me the runs, but the real reason I don't drink it is the post-caffeine crash.

There seems to be a link between gluten and bipolar syndrome--and there is a very strong link between coffee/caffeine and bipolar syndrome. Like Deb says, we are all different--but if you have any tendencies toward neuro issues, I would steer clear of both gluten AND caffeine!

That said, because of coffee's acidity, I would agree that it is a likely irritant to a not-yet-recovered leaky gut.

#7 yellowbird22

yellowbird22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

Coffee does terrible things to my stomach and sleep patterns. I drink green tea with soy milk!
gluten-free since March 07
Postive Dietary Results
blood test negative after month of gluten-free Diet
Many GI Problems
dental enamal problems
Weak bones prone to breakage
Depression/anxiety
Lactose Intolerant
Gallbladder Chronic Inflammation leading to removal Jan. 06

#8 Samanthasmomma

Samanthasmomma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

2 cups black tea every morning with splenda and milk. Its my "fake" coffee, much better on my tummy.
Diagnosed via bloodwork Celiac April 2007
Intolerance to Dairy June 2007

#9 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:29 AM

I can drink coffee or tea without any problems.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#10 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Some little known facts about coffee....

The cheapest coffee has far more caffine in it because it uses robusta beans which naturally have more caffine....
So the first move is go for something 100% arabica.

Second.. the more water you run through coffee the more caffine gets taken out... so even though you'd think that filter coffee would be better than a real strong expresso its actually not....
Honestly I know that one take a bit of believing....

If you take a ristretto its half the water of a expresso and 1/5th of a "long" type coffee ....
Personally i like a good ristretto but if you prefer something "longer" then start with a ristretto and then add water instead of pushing more water through the beans... which at this point is mainly just leaching out more caffine and hardly any flavor...

The worst coffee is greek/turkish or I guess what you americans might call cowboy coffee where you leave the grounds to steep i the water thus leaching out the max amount of caffine...

If you google there are quite a few analyses of different coffee's ... I seem to remember the McDo's was the highest in caffine ...

Anyway....its a different way to look at it I suppose.... its just one of those things that is at first counter intuitive.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#11 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

The worst coffee is greek/turkish or I guess what you americans might call cowboy coffee where you leave the grounds to steep i the water thus leaching out the max amount of caffine...

Do you mean coffee made in a French Press? The taste depends on the coffee you use. Also, I think the taste is a personal preference.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#12 sfm

sfm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Does anyone else have aproblem with coffee. The last 2 times i drank it, i got nauseous for about an hour and felt terrible. I need a caffeine pick me up in the morning, what could i drink to give me a boost in the morning besides coffee? Thanks everyone.

I had to give up coffee... :(

And boy, did I fight it!!

I drink chai tea now, as it is spiced, so it has a bite to it, which is a little more interesting to me than plain tea. It has made a big difference with my acid reflux - which could be causing your nauseau. Sometimes when we get rid of the gluten, we start noticing all the other things that are sensitive, I think.

Sheryll

#13 CraigN

CraigN

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

Yes - I stopped drinking about a week ago and have noticed a tremendous decrease in the pain in the left side of my gut. I started drinking tea in the morning and haven't missed the coffee a bit.

#14 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

I still drink coffee, but had to get rid of the sweet and low - had to go to real sugar. I limit my real coffee to one cup every 12 hours. If i am really jonesing for coffee after the first one, I go decaf.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#15 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I still drink coffee, but had to get rid of the sweet and low - had to go to real sugar. I limit my real coffee to one cup every 12 hours. If i am really jonesing for coffee after the first one, I go decaf.

sdr,

May I ask why you had to give up sweet & low (sacchharin) ? I've never used it (it's very bitter to my taste buds), but my wife uses lots of it (not celiac). I have read that of the main three sugar substitutes, it is the least objectionable (health nut wise, and I say that with all due respect as I may be one myownself), with equal (apertame) next and then splenda (sucralose).

Did you have actual reactions to it, or just gave it up on general principals?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: