11 replies to this topic

#1 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

I thought I rememered seeing a discussion on when potatoes skins turn green and you shouldn't eat them, right? (I did try to search for the discussion but didn't find it easily) I did eat one yesterday and tried to avoid the skin, last night and today have not been pleasant :blink: Or maybe it's the fact that winter has returned and I am so not happy about it!! (whine)
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

Hi,

The green means the potatoes were exposed to the light for too long.

If it's just a spot, you can cut that part off and use the rest. If a large part of the potato is green, it's best to throw it away.

At the store, I try and make sure the potatoes don't have any green on them, and once at home I store them in the pantry. (Dark)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

I was told growing up not to eat potatoes that are green. However, I have no idea why. I am curious.

Hez

#4 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

Green potatoes are toxic.
Like Jerseyangel, if the spot is not too big, I just cut it out.
Cathy

#5 Cuervo

Cuervo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Here's another potatoe question. My mom told me that if there are black spots on potatoes they are poisonous (dont' mind the spelling :blink: )???? Is this true?
Its better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Here's another potatoe question. My mom told me that if there are black spots on potatoes they are poisonous (dont' mind the spelling :blink: )???? Is this true?

As far as I know, black on potatoes means that either they have been stored in the cold or it's due to bruising from handling.

Either way, I wouldn't eat them! :P
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

I thought that you could just peel off the green? I have used potatoes that have had green under the skin....I guess I shouldn't be doing that? Yikes!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

The green stuff isn't good for you, but it's water soluble. I cut it out and boil those potatoes (mostly since I fear I'm slightly sensitive to nightshades).
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

The green stuff isn't good for you, but it's water soluble. I cut it out and boil those potatoes (mostly since I fear I'm slightly sensitive to nightshades).

Yeah i think its just one of those mildly irritating things that usually a little bit of does no harm....
Your not mean to eat raw potatoes either.... but I often munch a couple of raw fries ... and it doesn't seem to affect me....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#10 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

This is from the Idaho Potato Commission - http://www.idahopota...q/index.php#a47. They address the green potato thing and eating them raw, but I didn't see anything about the little black spots.

Is there any validity to the notion that the growths that form on potatoes after they have been sitting for quite some time is poisonous, and at the same time is also true that if the potato is green it also has poisonous compounds?
The sprouts that form after a potato sits for a while are not poisonous, its just the potato trying to replant itself. If they are small and can be rubbed off by hand then the potato is fine. If they go into the interior of the potato, they are fibrous and so wont taste very good so Id toss the potato and buy fresh ones. The greening happens in nature when the potato is exposed to the sun and in storage or when on display at the store when exposed to light. This tastes bitter but is not poisonous, so trim off before baking or boiling and prepare as usual.
[Back to top]

Is there anything harmful in eating potatoes raw?
No harm in eating the potatoes raw, but they may find them a little harder to digest than when cooked. Willard Scott, the famous NBC weatherman, does this all the time even making a point once to chomp down on an Idaho Potato on a harvest segment of the TODAY show a couple of years ago.

Why are my potatoes turning black?
If the potatoes were stored too cold (below 40 degrees F) then they can turn black. Could also have black bruising from being handled (dropped) when cold.
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#11 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

http://www.snopes.co...ient/potato.asp

http://www.straightd...cs/a2_055b.html

According to those two sites, the answer is that generally the green contains a poison and shoudl be avoided but it would take over four pounds to harm a healthy adult.

Edit to add:
Nantzie posted at the same time as I did and her source has a different answer. Take your pick. :rolleyes:

#12 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

http://www.snopes.co...ient/potato.asp

http://www.straightd...cs/a2_055b.html

According to those two sites, the answer is that generally the green contains a poison and shoudl be avoided but it would take over four pounds to harm a healthy adult.
Edit to add:
Nantzie posted at the same time as I did and her source has a different answer. Take your pick. :rolleyes:

Im not sure its really different.... If I ate a pound of peas I'd be in agony and 1/2 pound of peanuts would be like a lead weight...

Im not sure I remember how many carrots it takes to kill you either but again you'd have to be pretty commited to killing yourself that way... Like lots of stuff to much of a good thing is usually toxic.... be it Vitamin A or green bits on potatoes.... so you could say carrots are toxic.... too if you want to be a pedant.... :D or you could say carrots are a nice healthy food... both are technically correct....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: