This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mucous In Poop (sorry! )

Maureen73

Maureen73 Apprentice

My apologies for the frank topic title, but I wasn't sure how to make it sound better than it actually is....

I have been gluten free -- no cheating & freakishly careful -- for almost 2 years now. I ate out two weeks ago at a restaurant that had a gluten free menu. I've eaten there before and never had a problem. My issue is that after eating there, I felt a little off in the gut area. My poop has noticeable mucous in it and it hasn't gone away (sorry again for being so graphic!). No "D" - just mucous and regular looking poop.

Could this be because I unknowingly ingested gluten and my body is reacting to it?? For those of you who have been gluten free and got "glutened" what happened? Is mucous a side effect? Is there any way I can help heal and cleanse my body???

Thanks for any info you can share.

:) Maureen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

mucous in bowel movements can be caused by any number of things.

Moondanse Explorer

Do you have sinus issues right now -- primarily post nasal drip?? I have a lot of allergy issues and this happens to me quite often.

Nancym Enthusiast

Mucous was always a sign for me my gut is unhappy. I think there's a mucous lining in there that gets shed when things are irritated. So it is probably likely you had something that didn't agree with you.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your gut will produce copious quantities of mucous to try and protect a toxin from getting through. Have you had any other symptoms of a glutening? How much pain are you in? If you are not showing signs of a glutening and are in pain I would think about contacting the doctor if it continues or is accompanied by blood and cramping.

Maureen73 Apprentice

Thanks everyone for all of the info. The night after I ate out, my stomach had stabbing pains and was very bloated, which is why I suspected being glutened). However, that went away. The mucous is the only thing that is still occurring. There's no pain or bleeding, so hopefully it's just my gut's way of reacting to the gluten.

Ah, the joys of being paranoid about your poop!!!

Maureen

Moondanse Explorer
Your gut will produce copious quantities of mucous to try and protect a toxin from getting through. Have you had any other symptoms of a glutening? How much pain are you in? If you are not showing signs of a glutening and are in pain I would think about contacting the doctor if it continues or is accompanied by blood and cramping.

Interesting....I'll have to ask my doctor about this on my next visit. I always assumed it was from my allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heathen Apprentice

i have similar issues when i get glutened. it's unpleasant at best (and hard to clean up, too). ick.

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Maureen:

Every time I get 'glutened' I get horrible gut cramps, bloating and gas for several days. Then as the pain subsides I get mucous, but not always in the stool. Often I will pass gas and pass mucous. OR I feel like I have to 'go' but just pass gas and mucous. After the mucous stage I start feeling well again ... until the next gluten contamination. So I believe intestinal mucous may be similar to a runny nose from a cold. With a cold I get several days of fatigue, then a sore throat and finally a runny nose. By the time my nose is runny, most of the pain is gone. I suspect the mucous contains cold virus antibodies. Similarly intestinal mucous may gluten and TtG antibodies. Of course that's just my very unmedical suspicion there. I wonder if anyone ever tested intestinal mucous for antibodies?? LOL

BURDEE

Felidae Enthusiast
Hi Maureen:

Every time I get 'glutened' I get horrible gut cramps, bloating and gas for several days. Then as the pain subsides I get mucous, but not always in the stool. Often I will pass gas and pass mucous. OR I feel like I have to 'go' but just pass gas and mucous. After the mucous stage I start feeling well again ... until the next gluten contamination. So I believe intestinal mucous may be similar to a runny nose from a cold. With a cold I get several days of fatigue, then a sore throat and finally a runny nose. By the time my nose is runny, most of the pain is gone. I suspect the mucous contains cold virus antibodies. Similarly intestinal mucous may gluten and TtG antibodies. Of course that's just my very unmedical suspicion there. I wonder if anyone ever tested intestinal mucous for antibodies?? LOL

BURDEE

That is exactly what happens to me when I get glutened.

num1habsfan Rising Star

i would just see how long the mucous sticks around, and if it lasts a while maybe go get checked out just to be safe? not to scare you but since i've had my new (still unknown) major stomach issues starting last january Ive had a lot of mucous in my diarrhea, which has then been followed by more and more frequent blood and pain. you're could just be glutening tho, I have had that happen in that situation also.

~ lisa ~

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I almost always have mucous. I go through long periods of time where the mucous is bloody as well. The doctors believed they found the source once, but it stopped responding to treatment. I actually feel quite healthy now in comparison to how I was doing a few months ago despite the fact that I'm losing copious amounts of blood. If it doesn't go away in a few weeks, I'd make an appointment, but I imagine it will fix itself. I always go back to normal after periods of much mucous. By the way, my mucous doesn't seem to have anything to do with cross contamination--I haven't eaten out for several months now, and I still have problems even with obsessive calls to companies, etc.

• 1 month later...
diapason05 Rookie
Do you have sinus issues right now -- primarily post nasal drip?? I have a lot of allergy issues and this happens to me quite often.

!!!! Wow. I have felt like such a weirdo, with the occasional ahem. muc. poop. ;D It came back today after eating a lot of cocoa pebbles with 2% milk. Im looking incredibly bloated right now.

I also have a ridiculous amount of the post nasal drip. I think it's gotta be milk because it hasnt gone away just by going gluten-free. I havent been tested for any of this. only for allergies and I was really allergic to all kinds of wild grasses, dust mites, mold, wheat and soy. but i know being allergic to wheat isnt the same as being allergic to gluten....

Archived