16 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

I am Catholic. I have had much resentment in the last year or so due to the Catholic Church's unwillingness to waver on the gluten-free host. I haven't been to church for months.

I went today to watch my 9 yr old Rhiannon at mass as she was doing a reading and also, she's in the choir. (My hubby takes the kids every Sunday to church, but I don't go with them.....). Well, after the service today, I asked the priest if I could talk to him and asked him if any others in his congregation have discussed celiac disease with him or asked for an alternate host. He said no, although he knew what celiac disease was. I stated that I have been unable to receive the host due to this disease. He said "Are you okay with rice?" I said "I sure am". He said "Do you make your own bread?" I said "Yep". He said, "Problem solved, just bring in some of your bread or something made with rice flour that resembles the host, and I will bless it for communion for you".

Simple as that.

I explained to him I was reluctant to talk to him about this since the church doesn't allow for anything but wheat hosts. He said, "Well, that's just plain silly. I won't tell, and you won't tell! What's important is you being included in celebrating God".......

My faith in the Catholic church has been restored. Well, maybe not the church, but the individual priests anyway!

So, my question is: Does anyone have a "recipe" for a communion host?

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 FeedIndy

FeedIndy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

I can't help with a recipe, but I do know they are out there! I am not Catholic, but we do celebrate Communion on special occasions. Good Friday being one of them, I spoke to my church about it and they immediately brought gluten free communion wafers out to me. I attend a very large church so the situation has obviously come up before. I hope you find something that works for you!
[color=#993399]Mom to 3 girls
DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006
DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

#3 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

I also don't have a recipe, but I just wanted to let you know how happy I am that your priest is encouraging you in this way.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Karen, I know that there is a recipe for gluten-free Matzoh in this section from before Passover. That would be a great thing to use, since it's what Jesus used in the last supper (I do know that His wasn't gluten-free). I was thinking of doing the same thing, since I haven't had communion in years. I'm not Catholic, so I don't think it would be a big deal in my church.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:29 AM

how about using those round rice crackers from the store?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#6 zansu

zansu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:15 AM

Ener-G sells a gluten-free communion host. Cokesbury carries it in their catalog with all the other communion supplies (http://www.cokesbury...uten&pid=514351) but I bet some of these gluten-free retailers also sell it. I think I even saw it at one of the health food stores around here.

Sorry it's not showing as a link, but I went to cokesbury and used "gluten" as my search.

Ingredients
Filtered Water, Sweet Rice Flour, Potato Flour, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Methylcellulose, Sunflower Lecithin, Ener-G Baking Powder (sodium pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, potato starch, monocalcium phosphate).

Free Of
gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, nut, egg, corn, yeast, soy

#7 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:34 AM

Karen, if its yours and your priests opinion it doesn't matter then I'd say just make a very simple flatbread of just rice flour and water... its only a taste so its not like you need something gourmet.....just something you can bake into a decent roundish shape...
You could also just use plain cornmeal as well.... like making a tortilla though obviously it will be yellowish....but the same method making a corn tortilla should work pretty much the same with rice flour....

I'd just stick the oven on and mix up varying degrees of rice flour and water on a non stick sheet and see which mix works best :D

p.s. wish my moms priest had said the same to her!
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

I have the recipe I used years ago--it calls for wheat flour.

I'm sure it could be adapted--if you want, I'll post it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

Sure! Post it! It will help me with my "experiments"!!!! LOL!

Steve, I will try not to burn the kitchen down with my baking! :P ;)

p.s. Couldn't resist!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#10 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

p.s. Couldn't resist!

Karen

LOL ...Ok found it :D
....hope you weren't offended when I said they don't need to be gourmet :D
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

p.s. Couldn't resist!

Karen

Here ya go--

Host

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tbsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. shortening
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 cups hot water

Mix flours, baking powder and shortening. Add honey and water. Knead lightly until smooth.

Spread onto baking sheet 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes, until it sounds hollow when tapped.

Like I said, this is the original recipe given to me many years ago by a nun who helped come up with it. Maybe you can use it or parts of it as a guideline for making it gluten-free. A place to start, anyway...
Patti

#12 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

As I remember the unleavened bread part is only a fairly modern part... (Orthodox Chrisitans I think use leavened normal bread) and I don't think anywhere it matters since its meaning is symbolic* so you can always just take a small cut square or circle (using the baking cutters) of plain rice bread...

* I don't want to argue about this and I doubt Karen does.... Karen and her priest are happy to accept its symbolic so it's between them and up to use to provide possible ways to do it IMHO...

#13 GlutenFree Mommy

GlutenFree Mommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

I am Catholic and my priest allows me to use a rice cracker. The only catch is you have to put the whole thing in your mouth. I would like to make my own, but these are great for now.

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

As I remember the unleavened bread part is only a fairly modern part... (Orthodox Chrisitans I think use leavened normal bread) and I don't think anywhere it matters since its meaning is symbolic* so you can always just take a small cut square or circle (using the baking cutters) of plain rice bread...

* I don't want to argue about this and I doubt Karen does.... Karen and her priest are happy to accept its symbolic so it's between them and up to use to provide possible ways to do it IMHO...

I wasn't trying to argue, Karen asked for my recipe, so I posted it.
Patti

#15 MinaSteele

MinaSteele

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

GLUTEN FREE ALTAR BREADS*
FOR COMMUNICANTS ALLERGIC TO WHEAT

WASHINGTON WAFERS (LEAVENED)
(This recipe originated with the Washington Celiac Support Group)

2 tablespoons potato starch
7/8 cup cornstarch (7/8 cup is equal to 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons)
3 cups brown or white rice flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons xanthan gum
cup margarine
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350˚. Mix dry ingredients together. Cut margarine into dry ingredients.
Add buttermilk and mix with fingers until workable.
Roll with rolling pin on rice floured surface until as thin as possible.
Cut into small circles using a bottle cap.
Bake 6 minutes. Wafers will not brown.

GLUTEN-FREE WAFERS (UNLEAVENED)

tablespoon sugar
cup soy flour
cup potato starch
cup brown rice flour
teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon white Crisco
tablespoon butter-flavored Crisco
1 tablespoons gluten-free honey
cup water

Preheat oven to 350˚.
Mix dry ingredients well.
Cut in Crisco and honey.
Add water in small amounts and mix well.
Spread dough in a quarter-inch-thick layer in a 9 pan.
Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
Cut wafer into pieces measuring about one to one and a quarter inch by a half inch.

*Not approved by the Roman Catholic Church.22222

1/2 T. sugar
1/4 C. soy flour
1/4 C. potato starch
1/4 C. brown rice flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
Mix the above very well together-----
Cut in:
1 T white Crisco
1/2 T. butter flavored Crisco
1 1/2 T gluten-free honey
Add in small amounts:
1/4 C. water (or a speck less)
Mix well and spread in pan (I usually use a 9-inch pie pan and spread it thin--about 1/4 inch thick)
Bake @ 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Subject: Communion Wafers

2 tbsps potato starch flour 1 tsp baking soda
1 cup minus 2 tbsps cornstarch 1 tsp salt
2 cups brown or white rice flour
2 tbsps xanthan gum 3 tbsps plus 1-1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine 1 cup buttermilk

Sift the dry ingredients together. Cut in butter, add buttermilk, and
mix with fingers until dough is workable. Roll with rolling pin on rice
flour coated surface as thin as possible. Cut into small circles. Place
on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 6 minutes. (NOTE: They do not brown)"

These are what I have found in my own research.
Mina :D

I am Catholic. I have had much resentment in the last year or so due to the Catholic Church's unwillingness to waver on the gluten-free host. I haven't been to church for months.

I went today to watch my 9 yr old Rhiannon at mass as she was doing a reading and also, she's in the choir. (My hubby takes the kids every Sunday to church, but I don't go with them.....). Well, after the service today, I asked the priest if I could talk to him and asked him if any others in his congregation have discussed celiac disease with him or asked for an alternate host. He said no, although he knew what celiac disease was. I stated that I have been unable to receive the host due to this disease. He said "Are you okay with rice?" I said "I sure am". He said "Do you make your own bread?" I said "Yep". He said, "Problem solved, just bring in some of your bread or something made with rice flour that resembles the host, and I will bless it for communion for you".

Simple as that.

I explained to him I was reluctant to talk to him about this since the church doesn't allow for anything but wheat hosts. He said, "Well, that's just plain silly. I won't tell, and you won't tell! What's important is you being included in celebrating God".......

My faith in the Catholic church has been restored. Well, maybe not the church, but the individual priests anyway!

So, my question is: Does anyone have a "recipe" for a communion host?

Hugs.
Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: