This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Puffy Itchy! Hands/anyone Else Get This?

dally099

dally099 Contributor

morning everyone, just wondering who else gets this, my hands on the palms will get red and puffy and my god do they itch, its accually painfull!! i get this on the bottoms of my feet as well. it comes and goes, i can go weeks without it and then have a miserable with it. dermatologist said it was allergy related (DUH!!!!) and gave me some cream the cream helps to a point the last couple of days its not helping much. i also get a zitty looking rash on my thighs that drives me nuts sometimes, but their not p%$#@# or anything like that, they dont look like the pics ive seen here, just little tiny zits, get them on my knee caps to, and some times the backs of my elbows are itchy but their is nothing there. i am very careful about gluten, also allergic to soy and find this harder to avoid then gluten. any thoughts or ideas? also any home remedies that can help with this when it flares up would be awsome,

THANKS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

It sounds similar to what I get sometimes. I believe it is the beginnings of a DH breakout. The rash you describe does sound like DH too - very much like what I also get on occasion. I find that too much salt and/or proteins can make it occur. A magnesium supplement seems to help.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

UR Groovy Explorer
morning everyone, just wondering who else gets this, my hands on the palms will get red and puffy and my god do they itch, its accually painfull!! i get this on the bottoms of my feet as well. it comes and goes, i can go weeks without it and then have a miserable with it.

Question: What's the progression of it? Do you get small tapioca-like blisters on your hands (palms, heel of hand - I don't know what that area is called) & maybe the joints of your fingers & then, feet - sole & around heel, maybe toes? Do they break and then after time become scaley & dry & then kind of shiney appearance after days? I have Dyshidrotic Dermatitis - Pompholyx breakouts. It itches like mad at the time of breakout. It is not athlete's foot .

If not, ignore this. If so,

Just one possibility:

I can only tell you what I think is going on with me. When I went gluten-free, the breakouts stopped & my hands totally cleared up. Docs had told me that it was from stress. I didn't believe it. Then, when I quit smoking for a week while still being gluten-free (I'm a smoker, trying to quit) it came back - with a vengeance. I think it was physical stress. Not emotional stress. If by any chance, this is what you have going on, maybe, since you're just recently making so many changes, your body is adjusting and going through a bit of turmoil. Mine doesn't respond to medication at all.

Edited in: I forgot to mention - the reason I think gluten-free helped was lowering of anxiety.

dally099 Contributor
Question: What's the progression of it? Do you get small tapioca-like blisters on your hands (palms, heel of hand - I don't know what that area is called) & maybe the joints of your fingers & then, feet - sole & around heel, maybe toes? Do they break and then after time become scaley & dry & then kind of shiney appearance after days? I have Dyshidrotic Dermatitis - Pompholyx breakouts. It itches like mad at the time of breakout. It is not athlete's foot .

If not, ignore this. If so,

Just one possibility:

I can only tell you what I think is going on with me. When I went gluten-free, the breakouts stopped & my hands totally cleared up. Docs had told me that it was from stress. I didn't believe it. Then, when I quit smoking for a week while still being gluten-free (I'm a smoker, trying to quit) it came back - with a vengeance. I think it was physical stress. Not emotional stress. If by any chance, this is what you have going on, maybe, since you're just recently making so many changes, your body is adjusting and going through a bit of turmoil. Mine doesn't respond to medication at all.

Edited in: I forgot to mention - the reason I think gluten-free helped was lowering of anxiety.

it starts on the palm of my hands, i get no blisters of any kind, more like a round circle (wheels) it spreads through my fingers to the other side of my hand and on my knuckles, they are very dry, and i do get what looks like peeling. after a few days of this they do get shiney. on my feet it will start on the bottom of my feet, swelling and red, no blisters it will spread to my heels and on to my toes. hurts like hell!

thanks for any thoughts

UR Groovy Explorer

Well, sounds a bit different, sounds a bit the same.

There are a few types of Atopic Dermatitis & most have a few different possibilities for why they happen.

Here's a link about what I have along with a quote from that site:

Open Original Shared Link

"Appearance of Dyshidrotic Dermatitis

The rash of dyshidrotic dermatitis occurs on the hands and feet. The majority of cases involve the palms and sides of the fingers, but the soles of the feet can also be involved. The rash looks like crops of clear, deep-seated, tapioca-like vesicles and is very itchy. The vesicles resolve in 3 to 4 weeks and are replaced by 1- to 3-mm rings of scale. "

num1habsfan Rising Star

not sure what it could be, my DH is a bit odd...it starts off itchy, then turns into pimple-like white blobs, then these kinds break and burn/itch even more than the pimple-like spots, and eventually some of these breaking spots turn into psoriasis. And i know it is DH even tho a dematoligist refused to believe me because I take Dapsone and it definitely helps.

I think it was some of the ladies here who gave the best idea about the feet part: does anyone in your house eat gluten? because if you walk around with bare feet you're likely walking on gluten..

hope this helps

~ lisa ~

jitters Apprentice

This sounds really similar to what I have. Doctors haven't been able to tell me what it is for sure but here's what happens to me: It is always on my left hand and starts in the upper left part of my palm just below my pointer finger. From there it gets itchy and spreads in a circular pattern. Most of the time its hard to see unless it gets itchy and then it is raised in a circular pattern. When its itchy- its ITCHY!! There are no pimples or anything like that on it but it does get a little dry looking when it is healing up. My whole palm gets hot and it drives me nuts. No creams have helped. My only relief is holding something cold like a can of pop or ice for awhile. I ONLY get this when I eat gluten. Its one of my only physical symptoms so I'm wondering if you are getting into something with gluten in it. If you find out what this is let me know, I'd love to have a name for it other than my "gluten rash"!

Also, I've never had this on my feet before this morning. I was glutened for two days this weekend and woke up with this rash on my left foot as well as my hand. It seems as though I am getting a lot more sensitive the longer I am gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dally099 Contributor
This sounds really similar to what I have. Doctors haven't been able to tell me what it is for sure but here's what happens to me: It is always on my left hand and starts in the upper left part of my palm just below my pointer finger. From there it gets itchy and spreads in a circular pattern. Most of the time its hard to see unless it gets itchy and then it is raised in a circular pattern. When its itchy- its ITCHY!! There are no pimples or anything like that on it but it does get a little dry looking when it is healing up. My whole palm gets hot and it drives me nuts. No creams have helped. My only relief is holding something cold like a can of pop or ice for awhile. I ONLY get this when I eat gluten. Its one of my only physical symptoms so I'm wondering if you are getting into something with gluten in it. If you find out what this is let me know, I'd love to have a name for it other than my "gluten rash"!

Also, I've never had this on my feet before this morning. I was glutened for two days this weekend and woke up with this rash on my left foot as well as my hand. It seems as though I am getting a lot more sensitive the longer I am gluten free.

oh my gosh, thats excatly what i get yesterday it was my right hand today its going over to my left, i did a gluten challenge a week and a bit a ago i finished and i was finally feeling better on last friday and wouldnt you know i went to mcdonalds and had the fries (read in a few places they are gluten free) NO WAY looked on the website sure enough, and my hands flared up as well, im also allergic to soy and this dosent help either. i know what you mean about using something cold to help! ive used cold packs, especially at night when you cant sleep cause of it.

heres another question, i get this zitty rash on my upper thighs and some on my knees as well no they are tiny little zits and they have little white heads on them, what the heck!?

jitters Apprentice
oh my gosh, thats excatly what i get yesterday it was my right hand today its going over to my left, i did a gluten challenge a week and a bit a ago i finished and i was finally feeling better on last friday and wouldnt you know i went to mcdonalds and had the fries (read in a few places they are gluten free) NO WAY looked on the website sure enough, and my hands flared up as well, im also allergic to soy and this dosent help either. i know what you mean about using something cold to help! ive used cold packs, especially at night when you cant sleep cause of it.

heres another question, i get this zitty rash on my upper thighs and some on my knees as well no they are tiny little zits and they have little white heads on them, what the heck!?

My 3 year old daughter (who is in the process of being tested) has an odd zitty rash on her butt, and so does my husband who refuses to believe he could be gluten intolerant. The funny thing is he admits he only gets the rash when he makes wheat chex mix. Duh!! Their bumps are kind of big though. The rash thing annoys me to no end as doctors just look at it and say "yep, its some kind of dermatitis." Gee, thanks...

I wish testing for for Celiac was as easy as taking a pregnancy test. Wouldn't it be so nice to just pee on a stick and know for sure that you are gluten intolerant? :lol: I think we'd get a lot more support from others too.

By the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets this round rash- I was beginning to think I was.

dally099 Contributor
My 3 year old daughter (who is in the process of being tested) has an odd zitty rash on her butt, and so does my husband who refuses to believe he could be gluten intolerant. The funny thing is he admits he only gets the rash when he makes wheat chex mix. Duh!! Their bumps are kind of big though. The rash thing annoys me to no end as doctors just look at it and say "yep, its some kind of dermatitis." Gee, thanks...

I wish testing for for Celiac was as easy as taking a pregnancy test. Wouldn't it be so nice to just pee on a stick and know for sure that you are gluten intolerant? :lol: I think we'd get a lot more support from others too.

By the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets this round rash- I was beginning to think I was.

yup im a pro at peeing on a stick so i would love this. i wont have a biopsy as im not getting sick for 4 months again. i see my doc at the end of the month with my gluten challenge journal so we will see how that goes, ill be mentioning the rash to him as the dermatoligist told me it was "allergy related" um no kidding! :blink:

Guest Chrisbee

My son, my daughter and myself all three have this on our hands and feet. Sometimes we just have the swelling and horrible itching, and sometimes it looks like tapioca under the skin. We always end up with round areas of peeling skin afterward, whether or not we have the blisters. I had been doing much better since going gluten-free, but two days ago I ate some zucchini relish I had made last summer. I don't know whether I had used contaminated sugar, or if the vinegar used was not gluten-free, but last night I was miserable with the itching on my feet. Today I have a new crop of blisters on the bottom of my big toe, severe itching on the top of my toes, but no blisters there. I also am sore all over, my bones and joints ache like crazy and I have a headache. I will not be eating anymore of my relish!!!

dally099 Contributor
My son, my daughter and myself all three have this on our hands and feet. Sometimes we just have the swelling and horrible itching, and sometimes it looks like tapioca under the skin. We always end up with round areas of peeling skin afterward, whether or not we have the blisters. I had been doing much better since going gluten-free, but two days ago I ate some zucchini relish I had made last summer. I don't know whether I had used contaminated sugar, or if the vinegar used was not gluten-free, but last night I was miserable with the itching on my feet. Today I have a new crop of blisters on the bottom of my big toe, severe itching on the top of my toes, but no blisters there. I also am sore all over, my bones and joints ache like crazy and I have a headache. I will not be eating anymore of my relish!!!

wow, i allways get round areas of peeling as well that look like a bunch of little blisters popped. i have a couple of blisters on my hands only a couple times. well at least i know im not going crazy! :P

zagadka Newbie

oh my goodness- ailments! i have been lurking on this forum for quite some time and now i get to put my two cents in...

a lot of what you have described sounds familiar. here comes stories! ok, for back ground i have been as gluten free and careful as i can be for about 2 months now. i'm sure some gluten may have slipped in here and there, but i am learning and being very careful and observant. i have not been officially diagnosed because i HATE doctors and don't want to be poked. i admire you all for going through with it....anyhoot....

those bumps you've described- i got two on my finger last weekend. i've never seen anything like that before, but they were smallish, liquid filled, and they hurt and itched at the same time. now they've just kind dried up...what gives?!

as a child, i had all sorts of strange skin things happening. i was a very itchy child! i had scratch test after scratch test done, which were all inconclusive, so the doctor finally said i was allergic to water. yes, that's right, water. my skin is now left with little, colorless dots all over where i used to get crazy, itchy rashes. battle wounds i suppose.

4th grade ish. still crazy things happening with my skin, but to a lesser degree- i would get huge welts on my face that could have been mistaken for pimples- only they were puffy and did not respond to the high amounts of retin-a i was forced to put all over my poor little face. ouch!

all symptoms (minus random tummy probs) vanished until 2003. those welts returned. i also developed a red patch underneath my eye. i noticed it would get swollen and puffy seemingly out of nowhere. i would also get an itchy rash on my face. went back to the dermotologist who didn't listen to anything i said and wanted to put me on oral antibiotics...i settled for a topical. which by the way only masked the problem. as i mentioned, i have been gluten free for the most part, and those odd puffs and itchies have disepated. i noticed the two or so times i think i ingested gluten, the pesky puff patch has returned.

obviously, none of you are doctors and i don't expect you to diagnose me...but i would trust the opinion of someone who has dealt with this kind of thing over someone who has maaaybe witnessed it or read about it second hand. any sort of idea on what's happenin would be greatly appreciated!

sorry for the rant/ thread hijack...

Archived