8 replies to this topic

#1 delawaregirl

delawaregirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:40 AM

Is flax seed meal the same as flax seed flour? Can they be used interchangeably? Thamks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeGirlie

GlutenFreeGirlie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

Yes. Flaxseed Meal=Flaxseed Flour=Ground Flaxseeds. If you want to make your own, you can grind the whole seeds in a clean coffee grinder. Hope that helps!

#3 nmw

nmw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

Flax seed goes rancid quickly after grinding. It is best to grind just before use. An extra coffee grinder to use w/ nuts and herbs is a great addition to the kitchen!

#4 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

Flax seed goes rancid quickly after grinding. It is best to grind just before use. An extra coffee grinder to use w/ nuts and herbs is a great addition to the kitchen!

How do you know it's rancid? Hope that's not a stupid/obvious question. I grind a reasonable amount at one time and keep the extra in a ziploc in the fridge (enough that I am set for about 1 month). Should I not be doing that?

#5 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

How do you know it's rancid? Hope that's not a stupid/obvious question. I grind a reasonable amount at one time and keep the extra in a ziploc in the fridge (enough that I am set for about 1 month). Should I not be doing that?

Do you all have a particular flax seed meal you use? I've wanted to try flax, too.

lisa

#6 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

I bought flax sead meal...it did say to refridgerate...that does slow down the process.

A friend of mine who is a ND said that for optimum nutrition it's best when freshly ground. Next time around I'm going to buy whole flaxseed and grind myself. The important thing is if you buy whole, ground, whatever, to refridgerate it.

:)

#7 Magdalena Rose

Magdalena Rose

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Gluten Free flax seed source???

#8 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

I've bought flax seed meal twice now in the last 14 months. It's a somewhat course grind, not as fine as a flour or starch. I've kept it in the fridge for months and it hasn't gone bad. I would think you could tell if it went bad, it would probably have a rancid smell and taste bad. I put about cup in everything.

Got the last package at Walmart, it was pretty inexpensive. No big deal.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#9 gluten15

gluten15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

I use Bob's Red Mill from this company below. I actually buy ALL my healthy stuff from the company below. Great prices, great shipping prices, great customoer service, fast shipping. I have ordered from them for years without one problem

http://www.Lame Adve...s red mill flax

I get the gluten free one's of course.

I actually like to chow on the whole flax seeds for a snack. Granted, the whole seed doesn't have the nutrient value as the ground..but it gives me something to do and try and see how good I can chew them up.

I love ground flax seed. Sometimes I will eat either the meal or the whole seeds with coconut milk.
I will always toss some ground into my hot cereal-all of which are Bob's Red Mill glten free from the same compnay above-buckwheat or quinoa.

I love flax. More people need to realize this yummy product is a great natural way to treat cholesterol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: