arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Really, Really Foul Breath Post-glutening?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kyalesyin

Kyalesyin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

My wife glutened herself a few weeks back, and about two days after she did it, she developed the most foul case of halitosis. I mean, to the stage of me having to lie with my back to her [we normally sleep holding hands.]

Trying to describe the smell is hard. Part dead roadkill, part super dark chocolate, part really bitter keytones. Kind of stale alcohol smelling. Am I making any sense? It went away after about four days. I didn't think to mention it at the time, until I realised that she had it all the time before she went gluten-free, and it was always worse after a big wheat-based meal. She can't ever smell it, but other people have commented on it before.

Anyone else get this, or is this another one of those random ones?
I'm really just here about my wife. Its all her fault!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

That does sound exactly like the smell of a person's breath when they have ketones present in their blood. I've been a tightly controlled type one diabetic for a long time, so I haven't given off that smell in ages. But fermenting wine, rotten fruit, sour milk...these were the things that I've always heard "ketone breath" described like. Your wife doesn't have blood sugar issues?
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#3 Kyalesyin

Kyalesyin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

That does sound exactly like the smell of a person's breath when they have ketones present in their blood. I've been a tightly controlled type one diabetic for a long time, so I haven't given off that smell in ages. But fermenting wine, rotten fruit, sour milk...these were the things that I've always heard "ketone breath" described like. Your wife doesn't have blood sugar issues?

Nope, at least, I hope not. Its not quite the diabetic smell. At least, she smells nothing like my sisters and my grandparents did. They always smelled much sweeter. My chemistry proffessor suggested that its the smell of her stomach lining breaking down from the gluten damage, which is a chilling thought...

But we had all the diabetes tests while they were trying to convince us it wasn't celiac, and we eat well enough that she doesn't ever run on empty, so hopefully that isn't the case. It only ever pops up when she glutens herself, normally one to two days after. At least if it is blood sugar we'll have something in common...
I'm really just here about my wife. Its all her fault!

#4 chatycady

chatycady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:05 PM

I have had a problem with bad breath for years, and yes, I believe it is associated with "gluten". I hope your wife is feeling better and no longer has this problem.
Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.
Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

#5 Guest_Chrisbee_*

Guest_Chrisbee_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:02 AM

I noticed this a long time ago when my oldest children were small before I knew about Celiac disease. Their breath would smell like a more sweet version of finger nail polish remover to me. I asked the doctor about it one time because I was worried and he had the nerve to ask me if I left the polish remover out where they could reach it. He couldn't smell it. I never did find out what caused it, but I can always tell by the smell of their breath if they aren't feeling well.

#6 New Mama

New Mama

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

I came across this thread doing a search for "breath" because my siser, who I believe has celiac and is currently going gluten-free, has the most awful breath. It smells "infected" -- that's the only word I can think of to describe it. If she's sitting next to me, or even across the table from me, talking, I can barely stand it. I've never mentioned it to her because she is very, very sensitive/defensive about things like this, and I figured if her three teenaged kids haven't told her by now I wasn't about to!

I think she has celiac because she is hypo-thyroid, is prone to D, and has had unexplained infertility, constant migraines and a rash that no doctor has identified but looks exactly like DH. And she's feeling much better after going gluten-free for a few weeks.

I have a cold so I haven't been able to smell much lately, but it will be interesting to see if her breath improves on the diet.

#7 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:46 AM

he had the nerve to ask me if I left the polish remover out where they could reach it.

Just had to say--WHAT AN MORON!

#8 little d

little d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

WOW! I have been told by my sister and mom quite a few time and my husband that my breath stinks and I can brush and you can smell my breath again within a few hours. Never thought that this was an issue of celiac disease but it makes sense, I have always battled with this issue. WoW the more I read on here the more makes sense and all the pieces are all falling into pieces.

Thanks
Donna
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

#9 geokozmo

geokozmo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

many times they told me in my famuily I had bad breath. Now I dont hear it that much since I am on this glutenfree diet. I wonder...
Geo

#10 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

I was under the impression this had to do with systemic candida, and after you get the candida under control (killing it off) your breath gets sweet and you don't have that odd body odor anymore. B)

Love Love
sickchick
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#11 Shelly D.

Shelly D.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I came to this site to see if inhaling flour could make me feel bad- I'm new to this celiac thing but feeling better- and this topic jumped out at me. My mother, myself and my son have always had terrible breath. I had my tonsils out and that seemed to help but when my son had his out it didn't help him at all. Even the breath from his nose smells really bad. In the few days since I've been diagnosed I've seen so many symptoms in my son and this is just another confirmation to me that he has celiac disease also. I wish we'd figured this out when he was little instead of now. Do those of you that have noticed this phenomenon also notice a unique, maple-y sort of urine-y smell to body odor also?
"AAARGH, it's drivin' me nuts"

Positive Ab. SIgA tests for milk, soy, egg, and gliandin July 9, 2008
Never cared for milk, and can't tolerate soy.
Gluten-free since July 9, still working on milk products and avoiding all of soy's many faces.
Diagnosed Celiac disease July 11, 2008
Added almonds and garlic to the list of intolerables Aug. 11

#12 munkee41182

munkee41182

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

My fiance notice my breath was pretty horrid a while ago. My primary told me to take pepcid because it was due to stress (from planning a wedding and buying a new home). But now that i've been gluten free again, he did say that it was getting better.
Jami

#13 Oli

Oli

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

Well now, I find this very interesting. Somehow I got gluten in my diet ( have been gluten free for 10 years)I was visiting my son, and he told me I had cronic bad breath. I went to the store and got a toung scraper and that helped. However when I got home from my visit I really put my diet in check and I havent had a problem since that I know of. I am interested in the candida...If you have read Dr. Crooks book The Yeast Connection you will find that it is very possibly true about the breath. Yeast is a problem that should be looked at. This is an excellant book for those who work with Autism too as Autistics have a hard time throwing off toxins in the body.

Oli

#14 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

My sister deals with bad breath very often. I think she might be allergic to gluten, it doesn't run in the family. She got Candida 17 years ago when she was pregnant. It only bothers her a little every few years. I say all that to say this weird experience she had a few months back.

She was talking to a neighbor and there were flying insects all around her face but not the neighbors. She asked if it could be a symptom...sounds like it. Weird and embarassing!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#15 CeliacAlli

CeliacAlli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

My breath has stunk when I was glutened but it was from puking. Not really sure but the it might happen to some people and the diabetic thing is def. something you guys should look into. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: