3 replies to this topic

#1 jjrobin

jjrobin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

Ok, I fist posted yeserday.....update....my son spent the day with severe stomach cramps. (I gave him bread before coming here.) He also spent the nite puking his little guts up.

I have a question..my son is higly allergic to dairy. I have him on say milk. My DBF told me soy is a gluten. Is it?

Jenn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GEF

GEF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:28 AM

Now, he could be intolerant to soy and/or lactose (sugar protein found in milk), which isn't uncommon.

Which brand of soy milk do you use?

Gretchen

#3 jsib

jsib

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:29 AM

My son is allergic to both soy and dairy. I have seen soy flour used in gluten -free products at the market. I think the gluten comes in by how the soy milk is made/fermented. Soy can produce a lot of gas...
My Dr. also said it was uncommon too for my son to be allergic to both then after the delayed rast and 2+ years of soy milk he turned out to be more allergic to soy (ratings are 1(low) 4(veryhigh)www.enjoylifefoods.com has dairy-free soy free,gluten-free,nutfree foods The cookies are really good.Bagels too

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:24 AM

soy is definitely not a gluten. soy isn't even a grain (and the gluten we react to is the gluten found in four (if you include oats) grains. (soy is a legume.) he could have an entirely different intollerance or allergy to soy, however. it may be possible to find a brand of soy milk that uses barley as a filter (like Rice Dream), which could also be a problem, but I can't think of a brand of soy milk - off the top of my head - that does have gluten.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: