23 replies to this topic

#1 yokomindy

yokomindy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

Some of you may be feeding Natural Balance Venison and Rice dry dog food, or Venison and Green Pea dry cat food, because they are gluten free. Natural Balance pet foods are now recalling these two foods because of possible melamine contamination. The suspect ingredient in these two dry foods is concentrated rice protein. There have been reports of kidney failure, just like with the gluten in the Menu Foods. You can go to the Natural Ballance website for more info.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

Some of you may be feeding Natural Balance Venison and Rice dry dog food, or Venison and Green Pea dry cat food, because they are gluten free. Natural Balance pet foods are now recalling these two foods because of possible melamine contamination. The suspect ingredient in these two dry foods is concentrated rice protein. There have been reports of kidney failure, just like with the gluten in the Menu Foods. You can go to the Natural Ballance website for more info.

Aargh! When will it end. My friend lost her dog due to one of the gluten kinds. I don't know what to feed my cat any more. She went on a fast for a while, refusing to eat anything I gave her. She doesn't like having her food changed and what she had been eating was the recalled stuff (although not those dates, but I don't trust it now). I tried making her some food but she wouldn't eat it. :(

#3 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

You might try giving your cat some canned "cat" tuna, raw eggs and meat. We feed our dog mostly raw meat and I've never worried about him being sick. I know lots of people do this for their cats too. It's "species appropriate" - they wouldn't cook their food if they lived in the wild.

Trader Joe's has the cat tuna and it's only 29 cents a can here. It's fortified with vitamins and doesn't have anything else in it. My dog loves it! (He gets it for a treat once in a while.)
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#4 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

I want to add that "cat" tuna is likely supplemented with taurine and vitamin E ( dont have a lable to read so dont know). Please do not confuse this with "people tuna". I have included some info about why that is important. Other meats should be included in the diet - including organ meats.

[Below, the info is about "people tuna"]

Most cats love tuna, and an occasional tuna treat is fine for them, but too much tuna can cause some serious medical problems. We're speaking here of tuna that is marketed for human consumption: most tuna-flavored cat foods are not 100% tuna, and contain nutrients such as added vitamins and taurine which are necessary for a cat's health

Fish is a good source of protein and other nutrients, but too much fish in a cat's diet can be harmful. Tuna is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and requires substantial amounts of vitamin E to preserve the fat. Cats fed a diet containing excessive amounts of tuna can develop steatitis, also known as yellow fat disease."

Tuna and certain other fish possess very little vitamin E. Vitamin E is an important antioxidant. When a catís diet consists mostly of tuna fish that is not commercially formulated as cat food, the cat becomes deficient in vitamin E. Dietary unsaturated fats from the fish are oxidized by a biochemical called peroxidase into a substance called ceroid. Since the affected cat has low vitamin E levels, this oxidation process is not restrained. Ceroid, an abnormal, pigmented, yellow-brown breakdown product of unsaturated fat oxidation, is formed and deposited in fat cells. The result is yellow fat disease (steatitis).

http://www.connollya...?...8&Private=0

Sandy

#5 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

One of my cats has been hospitalized at the vet since the weekend. He's on an IV and was extremely jaundiced and dehydrated. The recall was announced yesterday, so now my vet has an answer as to why his liver was failing. Yes, both my cats were on Natural Balance Green Pea & Venison dry food. Nothing to do with having no gluten, he has a chicken allergy.

I feel terrible for feeding him this food and almost killing him. I have about 20 cans of the wet Green Pea & Venison, but even though it wasn't recalled, I'm paranoid about making him sick when he eventually comes back home.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#6 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

Aargh! When will it end. My friend lost her dog due to one of the gluten kinds. I don't know what to feed my cat any more. She went on a fast for a while, refusing to eat anything I gave her. She doesn't like having her food changed and what she had been eating was the recalled stuff (although not those dates, but I don't trust it now). I tried making her some food but she wouldn't eat it. :(

I know what you mean. My cat has a chicken allergy, so he's very limited. In addition, he's extremely picky. He'll like a food for a few weeks and then decide nope, I don't like it anymore.
Tapioca intolerant
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

#7 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

I don't get it. Cats are carnivores--their bodies were made to eat meat and fish. Why would they "need" supplements to what would be natural for them to eat in the wild?

(I'm a bit nervous because I just started giving my diabetic cat canned tuna and salmon in addition to dry food. Eek! Maybe I should stop?? But he seems to be doing a lot better on tuna and salmon. ??!! )

#8 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

I don't get it. Cats are carnivores--their bodies were made to eat meat and fish. Why would they "need" supplements to what would be natural for them to eat in the wild?

(I'm a bit nervous because I just started giving my diabetic cat canned tuna and salmon in addition to dry food. Eek! Maybe I should stop?? But he seems to be doing a lot better on tuna and salmon. ??!! )

This is my theory. Because we don't feed them live rodents, birds, etc. they need something else to help with their digestion. For instance my cat seems to need the green peas and rice bran for fiber. Dry food is not much like a warm fresh mouse.

I know, I'm a kook, we'll just leave it at that.
Tapioca intolerant

#9 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

Cooking destroys the taurine in food and it is an essential amino acid for cats, so they usually add it back in after cooking. I just buy taurine capsules and sprinkle them on his food. But generally I feed my puddy tat lamb/salmon from Whole Foods (cat food), sardines in water, the occassional can of tuna and raw chicken. He's doing MUCH better since I got him off dry food (and canned food).

The sardines have a lot of vitamins. I feed him one can of them a week.

#10 ronahc

ronahc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

I started giving my cats Wellness canned food a few months ago. Out of 6 flavors, 5 of them have no grain at all and 1 of them has only rice added. They seem happier with the better food and have lost some of the extra weight they are carrying by eating more than they had before. It's more expensive but better for them.

#11 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Yes, cats are carnivores. I havent seen too many cats hunt a tuna fish, or eat a lot of fish in the wild. Their natural prey is mice, gophers and birds. They eat the entire thing excpet the head of birds and the feathers, they usually leave the gopher head..- they are crushing up bones, eating whatever was in the animals stomach, in addition to the muscle, they eat the internal organs. All of which give them what they need. A cat who eats 10 mice a day is providing everything he needs, including taurine. They also get tapeworms along the way which isnt so good.

A cat who might be lucky enough to catch a fish also eats the internal organs - a source of additional nutrients.
Beef heart, chicken hearts (heart is very high in taurine), liver, chicken giblets and gizzards, kidney, are all things you can add to a cats diet if you are making a "homemade diet". Sardines are good because they are getting the whole fish.
Raw poultry neck is easily eaten as it is soft and crushes easily when chewed (esp by carnvore teeth).
Do not feed cooked bones, they splinter and are brittle.

sandy

#12 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

. I just buy taurine capsules and sprinkle them on his food.

Where do you buy the taurine capsules???

#13 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

Where do you buy the taurine capsules???

Any health food store with a decent selection of supplements should have it. :)

#14 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

I thought of sardines recently because they have soft bones that you won't choke on AND they're small fish so they won't have absorbed a lot of mecury, they have lots of omega-3 fatty acids too. Unfortunately tuna and salmon often live a long time and accumulate a lot of mecury.

Weird thing is... with tuna or any other meat my cat gulps it down quickly. But the same amount of sardines takes him hours to eat. I can't figure out why!

#15 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

Do you buy human-grade sardines? When my cat recovers from his poisoning maybe I'll try and introduce sardines into his diet. I'm sure he would love them.
Tapioca intolerant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: