This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's The Best gluten-free Bread?

snomnky

snomnky Apprentice

We have tried a lot of bread, my 1yo is not picky, but i haven't found a good one, is there any that are just great?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ginap73 Apprentice

I love kinnikinnick white sandwich bread. found in the freezer section of whole foods..

Nantzie Collaborator

Pamela's Wheat-Free Bread Mix. Worth the effort of baking ten times over.

Nancy

RiceGuy Collaborator

As I understand it, home baked is far better than what is available on the market.

Here's one recipe which seems to be getting great reviews:

Open Original Shared Link

wolfie Enthusiast

We used Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix or Whole Foods Favorite Sandwich Bread (already baked & frozen). I love them both! I just made pizza with the pamela's mix last night and even DH loved it (he doesn't eat gluten-free and usually isn't fond of the pizza/bread I make gluten-free).

momandgirls Enthusiast

How do you make pizza crust with the Pamela's mix?

wolfie Enthusiast
How do you make pizza crust with the Pamela's mix?

There is a recipe on the side of the package of the Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix. It was AMAZING! I just used the mix, 1/2 cup of oil, 1 1/2 cup of warm water, the yeast packet and some italian seasoning.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Kinnickinnick gets my vote for ready made. The Italian is even eatable with just butter. For mixes IMHO nothing beats 'Gluten Free Pantrys' Italian bread mix. It makes a great pizza dough. When I make pizza I use about 1/4 cup less of water and often will chill it really well before spreading for ease of spreading. Even nonGF folks scarf it down.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Bread mixes from Manna from Anna that you can order online are the best there is!!

sixtytwo Apprentice

For ready made, I like Whole Foods Sandwich Bread. I make mine at home with Bob's Red Mill Bread Mix. I do not have a bread machine, I use my Kitchen Aid and it works fine. The loaf that the package makes is so large, that I put it in four small ones and it lasts a prett long time.

jerseyangel Proficient

I love The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix. It's very easy to bake--I slice it when cool, and freeze.

I actually just had a slice of it toasted w/almond butter :P

mparker9 Newbie

[i love great harvest gluten free goodness basic white...no crumbles, very moist. you can order it from chattanooga great harvest

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I like Kinnikinnick English Muffins.

grantschoep Contributor

I used to love Kinnicks, and a recipe my mom got years ago that she has always used(Dad is Celiac)

Until I found a great local bakery. Its in Denver, CO, but you can order online too. They ship frozen, gets kind of spendy. But its really worth trying a loaf. I've found some loaves are not as good as others. Not generally in taste, but some seem much heavier. Some are great though, I usually get to buy them fresh though. But, then I always freeze them anyways...

Check out

Open Original Shared Link

They also have tons of other thinks, rolls, buns, chicken nuggets/tenders. Packaged meals. If you live around Colorado, they are also open as a cafe. Sit right down and eat a meal.

Note, that there is nothing that goes into the kitchen that is not gluten-free. The owner is Celiac.

...wow! I just looked at the site. Sounds like they have opened a few new places. 2 others in Colorado, and one in Wyoming. Good grief... one is just a few miles from my place.

umm... I gotta go.

Archived