Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Wheat Containers

14 posts in this topic

This is infuriating...I don't care if they say that they'd be safe because of a small layer of some other material........this is really annoying. Would they make a container out of peanut flour for those with a peanut allergy? I don't think so. And yet, we get pushed around with this wheat thing.... :angry:

Wheat

Ads by Google:

Why would they even risk it? My opinion is make them all out of the corn starch and keep it that way. <_<

What about the people with a severe corn allergy?

Dixie Cups are made from some form of corn......corn starch, I guess.

This topic came up in the group, USA Silly-Yaks and someone mentioned that a friend who has a corn allergy or something reacts to dixie cups.....anyway, I feel like there are already so many things we have to be careful of....so now for this to be a concern is even worse.

And I know that they can't guarantee that we don't get "glutened" from them. What if that "film or coating" got punctured somehow without the person realizing it? What if some defect in a machine leaves part of the wheat-container uncovered and food touches it? This idea seems like a horrible idea....and for people with corn allergies, this obviously isn't good news, either.

I know they have been doing things with sugars. . .to stop using plastics. . .but wheat. . .thats completly crap in my opinion. Though, I am for anything that helps out with the problems we are causing even if it means bad things for me.

Ah, you get what I mean.

hmm i don't eat out often and if i do i never take home leftovers. i never get take out so i can't really think of the last time nor when in the future i'd end up using these. so no big deal to me, although i'm guessing i'm forgetting some part of my life where they are prevalent haha.

but the whole point is, like I tried to point out with the corn - there will ALWAYS be someone who says, if the item is made out of a natural product, that they will react to it. like the person who reacts to dixie cups, or us worrying about these containers. I am not discounting that this is a worry, and I would want them to label the containers so we can make informed decisions. but there is someone allergic to almost any alternative you can think of somewhere, so it's just push the problem off to someone else.

one other thing to think about - and I haven't researched this enough to know yet - but the process that requires wheat starch for turning into containers may require extremely pure starch - proteins may mess up the process. we do already debate over codex wheat starch, which has been tested to have very low levels of gluten, and doctors in Europe believe is safe for celiacs, and we should probably try to determine if the starch used for these containers has had the protein successfully removed.

I guess if we go out to eat we will all just have to start carrying our own containers from home to take the leftovers in. :rolleyes:

It just seems a little odd to make food containers that people will be allergic to. I understand the need to make them biodegradable, but there has to be a better way. Isn't paper biodegradable? It might take a bit onger, but it will eventually breakdown. And you can recycle foil, so it seems like there are other options out there.

God bless,

Mariann

maybe people can just ask for them to be lined in foil then? since it's already unlikely wheat would get into food anyway, adding tinfoil might make it definite

Yes paper is biodegradable but it needs air and other things to do that. . .the thing with using wheat, corn, and surgars is that they will start to degrade on their own. . .at a certain point.

The tin foil layer is a good idea.

exactly how is the 'layer' or film or coating protecting against the wheat part of the box if the layer gets scratched or torn into?

Yea....that was my concern.........it isn't, I guess

I agree with Mariann: I will just have to start taking my own little container with me for leftovers! By doing that, I also will not be filling another landfill with anything!