7 replies to this topic

#1 disneyfan

disneyfan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:58 AM

Has anyone found that their body is not digesting some vegetables? I have noticed the next day that zucchini, red/green peppers, and sometimes spinach have not been digested and I am wondering why these foods would cause a problem. I have been eating gluten free for about 2 months and I continue to find this happening. Is there some relation to certain vegetables that celiacs can't process or is it just part of the healing process?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Felidae

Felidae

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

It could be that you have other intolerances such as dairy, soy and/or nightshades. Some people can't tolerate these foods while their intestines are healing. Possibly this makes these foods exit your system too quickly. Or, maybe your intestines are still healing and in time the vegetables will be digested fully.

It's kind of a "wait and see" or "trial and error" thing when you are in the early stages of being gluten-free.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

It was quite a while before I consistently started digesting foods. I had to overcook veggies for a long time after going gluten-free. I bet it will clear up after you are on the diet a while longer. I know 2 months feels like a long time, but it's not really. You're still doing some healing.

Double check and be sure you're not getting any hidden gluten anywhere. This is one of my most prominent signs of glutening these days.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

I believe the undigested food is because of the intestinal damage. Certain things are more difficult to break down, so if the gut isn't up to the challenge, the food won't be fully digested.

From my experience, it can take quite a while for the gut to heal enough to handle foods like it should. I'm still nursing mine after nearly three years gluten-free. The amount of time it takes probably varies depending on the extent of the damage. I've found that it is very important to chew thoroughly. Also some veggies require more cooking to make them soft enough. I found it difficult to do these adequately, so I run all veggies through the blender until pureed. It isn't all that tasty this way, but it does the job. It's like baby food - an infant's digestive system isn't initially developed enough to handle solid food. Water is also very important here. I continuously find it tough to drink enough.

Another thing that seems to help is a magnesium supplement. I use a powdered form, because a pill is likely to remain the same shape all the way through as when I swallow it. Magnesium apparently aids in the digestion of many other things.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

I had a problem with veggies for a while after I went gluten-free. Once I was 6+ months in, I was able to tolerate them much better. There are still some that really bother me though like raw peppers and any kind of onion.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#6 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

I'm day 22 gluten free, and I still cringe when people say "well why don't you just eat a salad?". Raw veggies go though me faster than gluten!

I've been told the same thing... it will probally go away as I heal... lets hope for fast healing!

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#7 disneyfan

disneyfan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

It could be that you have other intolerances such as dairy, soy and/or nightshades. Some people can't tolerate these foods while their intestines are healing. Possibly this makes these foods exit your system too quickly. Or, maybe your intestines are still healing and in time the vegetables will be digested fully.

It's kind of a "wait and see" or "trial and error" thing when you are in the early stages of being gluten-free.

What foods are considered "nightshades"?

Thanks for all the encouraging replies, I guess it will just take a little more time. At least I'm still awake after finishing dinner!

#8 Cruiser Bob

Cruiser Bob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

What foods are considered "nightshades"?

Thanks for all the encouraging replies, I guess it will just take a little more time. At least I'm still awake after finishing dinner!

Nightshades: Tomato, potato, peppers - all, eggplant and I think there are a few others

Not Nightshades: Yam, Sweet Potato, pepper-corns

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: