14 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

What carnation instant breakfast are gluten free. I am trying to add some calories into my diet and someone said this would help. Thanks!
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

All are gluten free except Chocolate Malt. But a good rule of thumb is to always read the label.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

For sure powdered Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think you should double check on the already prepared ones.

I'm in Canada, though, I don't know if they are different than in the U.S.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#4 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

All are gluten free except Chocolate Malt. But a good rule of thumb is to always read the label.

mg,

Read the label? Why didn't I think of that?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

.....read the label as ingrediencs may change.
Lisa

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

.....read the label as ingredients may change.

mg,

I wasn't being facetious with you. I was being facetious with htg.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

The powdered mixes mentioned are all okay with, as stated, the exception being the Malt. The last time I checked the Ready to drink were NOT safe, you could check with them though to see if they got smart and changed it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

I just confirmed this by Carnations website:

All powdered Carnation Instant Breakfast are gluten free (other than Chocolate Malt)

All PRE-MIXED Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks contain BARLY and therefore NOT Gluten Free.
Lisa

#9 MartialArtist

MartialArtist

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:43 AM

I realize this thread is old, but I'm ticked at Carnation right now b/c as I pulled out an IB packet this morning, I read on the package that it's made on equipment that also processes wheat. So if it was fine 3 years ago, why did they have to go and mess it up??!!! That used to be one of my favorite breakfasts and SO convenient!!! (At least I didn't buy it new after my diagnosis thinking it was clean -- this was left over from earlier this year.)
Gluten-free: April 8, 2010
Endoscopy: Severe villous atrophy
Celiac Panel: all 4 positive test results
Symptoms: few to no digestive; unexplained anemia and chronic mouth ulcers
Reluctantly accepting this new reality; aggressively pursuing information and new recipes!!

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

I realize this thread is old, but I'm ticked at Carnation right now b/c as I pulled out an IB packet this morning, I read on the package that it's made on equipment that also processes wheat. So if it was fine 3 years ago, why did they have to go and mess it up??!!! That used to be one of my favorite breakfasts and SO convenient!!! (At least I didn't buy it new after my diagnosis thinking it was clean -- this was left over from earlier this year.)

It may still be okay for you. Not everyone is so sensitive that they worry about shared lines. If your supersensitive then do avoid it but if not then it may be okay. It has likely always been made on shared equipment but now they are letting us know.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#11 lrc273

lrc273

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

I went to buy the powder carnation instant breakfast (chocolate) and the last ingredient listed is wheat starch. So I'm assuming its not safe to drink, right?

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

I went to buy the powder carnation instant breakfast (chocolate) and the last ingredient listed is wheat starch. So I'm assuming its not safe to drink, right?

Correct, it is not safe for us to use.

#13 grayangel

grayangel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

I wrote to Nestle encouraging them to remove wheat starch as an ingredient in the Carnation Instant Breakfast powders (as they now ALL contain it according to the labels). I'm not really sure what to make of their reply. It sounds as if they are listing wheat starch as an ingredient but that ingredient is no longer present(?), which is baffling, not to mention confusing and/or misleading. Anyway, I thought I'd share their response with everyone. Maybe you can make sense of it.

"Thank you for contacting CARNATION® BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS™, an excellent breakfast choice with 21 vitamins and minerals.

As a service to our consumers, we chose to disclose all sources of gluten by adding a statement on the label indicating the existence of barley in CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS. The flavorings used in CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS Ready to Drink contain barley malt syrup, which contribute less than 1 part per million of barley gluten in the final product.

For CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS powder, the only variety containing gluten is CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS Chocolate Malt, which has wheat flour and barley extracts. All other CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS powder varieties do not contain gluten. However, we want to inform you that all varieties are processed on the same equipment as CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS Chocolate Malt.

Wheat has been present on the CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS Powder labels for the past couple of years in the form of an allergen cross-contact statement: “made on equipment that also processes wheat.” CARNATION BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS Regular Powder varieties were recently reformulated with additional Vitamins C and D and now have new labels with wheat starch as the last ingredient. The wheat starch will be removed from the list of ingredients during the next packaging update; however, the label will include the allergen cross contamination statement “made on equipment that also processes wheat”. Gluten sensitivity does vary among individuals, so we advise you to consult with your physician before using any product that declares wheat or other gluten-containing ingredients on the label, whether in the ingredient list or in the allergen cross-contact statement."

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

I didn't find it confusing at all. Verbose, but clear:

The ready-to-drink ones all contain barley malt, albeit at a very low level (<1 ppm).

The Chocolate Malt powder contains both wheat and barley.

The other powders no longer contain wheat starch, but are made on shared equipment.

CAUTION: Many of the posts in this topic are probably out-of-date.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 Mid-Thirties-GlutenFree

Mid-Thirties-GlutenFree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Man this stinks... I love the chocolate flavored one but the last ingredient listed was "wheat starch."  The other flavors may offer cross-machine contamination equipment processing.  Anyone know of any other good chocolate instant breakfast gluten-free brands?  Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: