This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Low Glycemic Index?

infiore

infiore Rookie

My daughter (5 yrs) has been gluten free (trying to control seizures) and her doctor just told us that a low glycemic index diet also is effective. Anyone have any receommendations? I have found going gluten-free to be challenging, am not sure how much its helping but am sticking with it, how difficult would it be start low GI as well?

Any advise appreciated. Also does anyone know any french fry brands (made at home, I've given up on the fast food chains being gluten-free) that are gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Heck yes! I don't use the gluten free replacement foods because they're too carby/starchy. I do bake using coconut flour and rice bran (50/50) and sugar substitutes (usually a mix of splenda and erythritol). I haven't tried to make regular bread but I have made coffee cakes, and something I call a "bowl muffin". One of these days I'll get around to making crackers.

It takes a lot of experimentation because there aren't a lot of people doing that sort of thing. I find hanging out at a low carb message forum helps.

Oh yes, my diet is basically meat and veggies with some low glycemic fruits like berries. I use a lot of eggs, lemon curd (basically an egg custard with sugar substitute) and then "alternative" flours like coconut flour and rice bran, they're mostly fiber.

I remember meeting a woman on the low carb message forum who said her seizures were drastically reduced while following the Atkins diet. Of course, there's the Ketogenic diet that they're using on children with seizures too... has your doctor told you about that?

infiore Rookie
Heck yes! I don't use the gluten free replacement foods because they're too carby/starchy. I do bake using coconut flour and rice bran (50/50) and sugar substitutes (usually a mix of splenda and erythritol). I haven't tried to make regular bread but I have made coffee cakes, and something I call a "bowl muffin". One of these days I'll get around to making crackers.

It takes a lot of experimentation because there aren't a lot of people doing that sort of thing. I find hanging out at a low carb message forum helps.

Oh yes, my diet is basically meat and veggies with some low glycemic fruits like berries. I use a lot of eggs, lemon curd (basically an egg custard with sugar substitute) and then "alternative" flours like coconut flour and rice bran, they're mostly fiber.

I remember meeting a woman on the low carb message forum who said her seizures were drastically reduced while following the Atkins diet. Of course, there's the Ketogenic diet that they're using on children with seizures too... has your doctor told you about that?

Hi Nancy- thanks for the response. I do know about the ketogenic diet but it looks too unhealthy, with the high fat, so I think low GI is a better option. If I put my kiddo on this diet I will likely go on it too, as to me it looks quite healthy and might even keep weight down. I just shudder to think about gluten-free and low GI for a 5 yr old. Meat and veggies are not easy to get kids to eat in the first place. Plus she starts kindegarten in the fall and I'm worried about her being able to maintain the restrictive diet while in school and around other kids.

The lemon curd sounds yummy... I love lemon. Where do I find it? Where do I find the low carb message forum? I'd like to connect with the lady you mentioned.

Thanks again :)

Nancym Enthusiast
Hi Nancy- thanks for the response. I do know about the ketogenic diet but it looks too unhealthy, with the high fat, so I think low GI is a better option. If I put my kiddo on this diet I will likely go on it too, as to me it looks quite healthy and might even keep weight down. I just shudder to think about gluten-free and low GI for a 5 yr old. Meat and veggies are not easy to get kids to eat in the first place. Plus she starts kindegarten in the fall and I'm worried about her being able to maintain the restrictive diet while in school and around other kids.

The lemon curd sounds yummy... I love lemon. Where do I find it? Where do I find the low carb message forum? I'd like to connect with the lady you mentioned.

Thanks again :)

Open Original Shared Link

Great folks there, be sure to check out the recipe section. I've got my Open Original Shared Link there.

I'm doing a sort of "paleo diet" with modifications. Basically no grains (other than my rice bran), no legumes, meat, veggies, a little fruit. We've got a section for paleos on the message forum. I have adopted this diet for life for my health issues and weight control.

I haven't seen any postings by the epileptic lady in a long time. :(

missy'smom Collaborator

There was a book out maybe 10 years ago(yikes, has it been that long?) called The Glucose Revolution I think, about the glycemic index. It had medical info., lists of the glycemic index of foods and recipies. I read it in connection to blood sugar issues I was having. It might point you in the direction of other references too.

Ore Ida had a list of their products that are gluten-free on their website, I think that it hasn't been updated this year because I found some products by looking on labels that weren't on the list but appear to be gluten-free. My point is that it may not be complete but it'll be a starting point. Also many of the Alexia brand potato products are gluten-free. I haven't checked manufacturing practices with these brands. Whole Foods 365 tater tots are gluten-free.

infiore Rookie

Thanks Nancy and Missys... will check into. Have a wonderful evening.

Archived