3 replies to this topic

#1 jdp364

jdp364

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

About a month and a half ago I was told by my GP that my celiac panel was "negative." Since then I have gone gluten free anyway and my gas/abdominal pain/constipation issues have generally been getting better.

Today I asked about the test result in a follow up appointment with a gastroenterologist. He told me that while he doesn't think I have celiac (because I don't have D), technically my test result was ambiguous because my overall IgA is "slightly low".

What does having low IgA signify? Is having low IgA in itself an indicator for celiac? Or does it simply mean, as the doctor suggested, that it may just raise some ambiguity about an otherwise negative panel?

(Fortunately the doctor offered to do an endoscopy just to make sure and I am taking him up on the offer.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

A low IGA can result in a false negative. Have you tried the diet? There can be false negatives with the endoscopy also if the do not biopsy the right place in your 22 feet of small intestine. The truest test is your response to a strict gluten free diet that has been followed for a couple months. If you have any doubt at that point you could do a gluten challenge, that would tell you.
You could also choose Enterolab testing, many have been very pleased with them and much less trauma to your body.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 holiday16

holiday16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:18 AM

About a month and a half ago I was told by my GP that my celiac panel was "negative." Since then I have gone gluten free anyway and my gas/abdominal pain/constipation issues have generally been getting better.

Today I asked about the test result in a follow up appointment with a gastroenterologist. He told me that while he doesn't think I have celiac (because I don't have D), technically my test result was ambiguous because my overall IgA is "slightly low".

What does having low IgA signify? Is having low IgA in itself an indicator for celiac? Or does it simply mean, as the doctor suggested, that it may just raise some ambiguity about an otherwise negative panel?

(Fortunately the doctor offered to do an endoscopy just to make sure and I am taking him up on the offer.)

I'm considering asking to be tested for my overall IGA because I tested negative through blood test and barely positive via Enterolab, but my symptoms where horrible. I asked the NP that ordered the test and she said some people just have low IGA and the level has nothing to do with severity since some produce more and other less. I worry that other family members could have the same problem and would also affect their test results. It will be interesting to see if others have had this problem as well.

#4 jdp364

jdp364

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

I'm considering asking to be tested for my overall IGA because I tested negative through blood test and barely positive via Enterolab, but my symptoms where horrible. I asked the NP that ordered the test and she said some people just have low IGA and the level has nothing to do with severity since some produce more and other less. I worry that other family members could have the same problem and would also affect their test results. It will be interesting to see if others have had this problem as well.

I thought that total IgA was part of every celiac panel? In any event, you could still try getting an endoscopy to biopsy for celiac. Apparently the low total IgA does not affect a biopsy, which will show the celiac damage (if any) regardless of whether one's IgA level is low. All the low IgA does is reduce the amount of celiac-specific antibodies one would normally expect to find in the bloodwork if there was celiac damage. That's my layperson's understanding, at least.

Hopefully more knowledgeable low IgA folks will correct me if I'm wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: