Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Hillshire Farms Oven Rosted Turkey Deli Meat?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 janelyb

janelyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

Ok so I understand they don't hide anything in their labeling but I bought a vareity pack from Costco and my only question is on the Oven roasted turkey it says modified food starch. I called the company and they said well modified food starch comes from either wheat or corn but my package doesn't say from which source.....the company is supposed to get back to me but so far no one has. Does anyone else know?
Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07
**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07
HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)
new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:
Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner
dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

My understanding is that if it is made/packaged and processed in the borders of the US that the MFS is supposed to be made from corn or another non-wheat grain. BUT...I have been burned on that before. Because items can be processed outside the US and packaged here - that gives them a loophole in the law and they can claim ignorance.

I would wait until you know for sure from the company before eating. It SHOULDN'T be a problem BUT is it worth the risk?

#3 sherylj

sherylj

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

My understanding is that if it is made/packaged and processed in the borders of the US that the MFS is supposed to be made from corn or another non-wheat grain. BUT...I have been burned on that before. Because items can be processed outside the US and packaged here - that gives them a loophole in the law and they can claim ignorance.

I would wait until you know for sure from the company before eating. It SHOULDN'T be a problem BUT is it worth the risk?

I agree it isn't worth the risk,,,modified food starch could be wheat. I wouldn' even for sure trust any response I got from a customer service representative. There are brands of deli meats that are okay. Just read the labels every time.

#4 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

Per 2006 food labeling laws, if the product has one of the common allergens, it must be listed. I am 99% certain it is corn starch (from an email I got from them a couple of years ago)

Also, I eat Hillshire Deli meats all the time - no worries!

Customer service reps are worthlesshalf the time. Rest assured, Hillshire is a huge company and they wouldn't knowingly violate the labeling law (they have tons of lawyers that work for them that would not let that happen).

JMHO

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Agree with Chris.

If it were derived from wheat, it is required by law to be listed. If its not-its safe from wheat. :)

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:03 AM

Agree with Chris.

If it were derived from wheat, it is required by law to be listed. If its not-its safe from wheat. :)

Unless they are running out a lot of labels that were made from before the law changed. Companies are allowed to do that. I would avoid eating this with the ambiguous answer.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

ALL Hillshire Farm sandwich meats are gluten-free. In addition, it's my understanding that it doesn't matter how many labels you run, it's whether the product was packaged and labeled before Jan. 1, 2006, which sandwich meat would be, of course. AND, even if I'm wrong about the labels, I simply cannot imagine Hillshire Farm printed and then stored 16 months of labels. It wouldn't be cost-effective.

I've eaten the oven roasted turkey for years.

richard

#8 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

thanks for clarifying, richard.

#9 nowheatnomilk

nowheatnomilk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

lunch.. harmless enough.. rice and kidneybeans, cerely sticks, roman lettuce, corn chips ( which I've eaten before,) and hillshire turkey oven roasted.. now i'm am in such pain you've thought i ate a loaf of bread.. buyer beware... I won't eat it ever again..

#10 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

Probably the corn chips.

richard

#11 KarenDianne

KarenDianne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Agree with Chris.

Hi there-I have a couple questions...Hillshire Farms Kielbasa seems to have no "bad" ingredients EXCEPT "soy Protein"...I'm always afraid when it says soy. I thought soy was off limits...but I think I'm confused. Any soy products...derived from soybeans (how do I know?) should be good, right? Is it only the soy that is "soy sauce" used in Asian cooking/restaurants that isn't good?? The lists all say "no soy" but the 2 things I've eaten recently that had "hydrolyzed soy protein" didn't bother me. I was scared to death after I ate them...but nothing happened. Could someone please clear this soy thing up for me? Thanks so much! KarenDianne (I'm rarely on this site lately so if you could answer some time today...it'd be great!)

#12 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Probably the corn chips.

richard

Why would corn chips not be safe? The ingredients are corn, oil, and salt, and they are not processed on lines that process wheat ingredients. Plus, nowheatnomilk said that (s)he has had them before without a problem. Why would you suspect corn chips before the turkey?

#13 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Soy sauce usually contains wheat. That's why you can't have it. There is one brand (maybe more) that doesn't contain wheat. I can't give the particulars because daughter has a soy allergy so we don't eat it.

#14 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:55 AM

Hi there-I have a couple questions...Hillshire Farms Kielbasa seems to have no "bad" ingredients EXCEPT "soy Protein"...I'm always afraid when it says soy. I thought soy was off limits...but I think I'm confused. Any soy products...derived from soybeans (how do I know?) should be good, right? Is it only the soy that is "soy sauce" used in Asian cooking/restaurants that isn't good?? The lists all say "no soy" but the 2 things I've eaten recently that had "hydrolyzed soy protein" didn't bother me. I was scared to death after I ate them...but nothing happened. Could someone please clear this soy thing up for me? Thanks so much! KarenDianne (I'm rarely on this site lately so if you could answer some time today...it'd be great!)

Soy is safe for those with Celiac. It does not contain gluten.

Nothing happened because its safe. :)

Soy sauce is an entirely different story. Most soy sauces have wheat in them, including soy sauces that are used in frozen foods, in marinades, etc.

For your own cooking at home, there are a few brands of gluten-free soy sauce, though.

#15 nowheatnomilk

nowheatnomilk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:11 AM

I switch to gluten free turkey breast... and it's fine... like I said the corn chips wasn't it. it was the food starch in the hillside.... (wheat food starch-- found out the hard way)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: