Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Vitamin/mineral Deficiencies

1 post in this topic

Hi All,

Both my husband and I are diagnosed as Gluten Sensitive, so we eliminated gluten from our diet. My question is this, is it common to be on a gluten-free diet and still be deficient in vitamins and minerals? ( I also have adrenal insufficiency so that increases the need for vitamins and minerals) We feel our best when we take daily supplements but I question why we need to take many supplements when we are already on a gluten-free diet? Certainly when grains are eliminated that increases our need for the B vitamins but many of our non-gluten acquaintances do not need these daily supplements. Their diets do not seem to be as restricted nor as healthy as ours seems. I do know that a varied diet is important for everyone's health but we certainly do our best to eat right. :D

Does anyone else have a similar experience??? :huh:

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• are your new negative results with or without a gluten challenge? i think its irresponsible for your doctors to dismiss positive bloodwork. i agree that positive blood results points towards at least potential celiac disease and there is a good chance that there either wasn't enough damage yet or they missed it. pretty sure high Gliadin IgG means you were having an immune response to gluten. ttg IgG is less specific/sensitive than Iga but nonetheless it is an antibody related to tissue damage in the small bowel.
      seems common for GIs to deem celiac blood work as unreliable and then glaze over the fact that biopsy results can also be unreliable.
      if you have/are doing a gluten challenge i would ask for an EMA bloodtest and DGP not just ttg. if not maybe get the genetic test?    
    • I have the same symptoms.  These symptoms have overlapped other issues that I have and have been left untreated for far too long. Now the pain has gotten worst. My GP believes it's my hiatal hernia.  I have pain below my breastbone, pressure pushing up my chest/throat, dizziness and nausea. 
    • Usually I'm using apps to tell me what celiacs have thought about the restaurants in the area and repeatedly eating at a few different places I haven't gotten sick. Now that I think about it, gluten was a definite possibility. I ,however, just got all negative results from all the following tests so I'm guessing I'm doing ok on that front. -Basic metabolic panel -Liver enzyme panel -CBC -Serum IgA -Tissue transglutaminase(tTG), IgA -Tissue transglutaminase(tTG), IgG -Thyroxine(T4), free direct serum -Thyroid stimulating hormone I thought the same thing about positive antibodies and non-celiac sensitivity reading this; l'm seeing his nurse practioner in two weeks so I'm going to take this and basically argue with what he said and see how that goes haha. I'm gonna guess not real well. I'm going to push being tested for other autoimmune diseases in addition.  
    • I was dx with duoedenitis end of August. No mention of a stomach, esophagus or duoendal ulcer. Just a small hernia. Less then 2cm. But I have a LOT of pain right below the breast bone and I jumped when it was recently touched on exam. I can even feel a small bump in the area. I feel so dizzy and unwell, like some kind of bacteria is invading my brain and am very queasy still.  My heart still feels weird too.  Bloodwork normal, a bit low on protein which is unreal because I get a ton of it but it is always is low if I have not eaten. Mildly elevated myeloycytes and basophils. My GI will probably not see me for a week or two, my primary care put me on sucralfate.  As soon as the food hits my digestive system I feel really weird all over, stomach, chest, throat, head. Just feel like I have this horrible thing infecting my body.  Did anyone feel ulcer pain and have it NOT be an ulcer? I suppose one could have developed since August. 
    • Hi AWOL, Since you weren't able to complete the 2 weeks gluten challenge for the endoscopy the results are not necessarily reliable.   So to be err on the side of caution I think you should assume you have celiac disease.  Your doctor should not assume you don't have it either since the challenge was not completed.  He has no proof that you don't have celiac disease.  He does have evidence that you have negative reactions to eating gluten though.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member