5 replies to this topic

#1 lcbannon

lcbannon

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Is there that big of a diff? I can find Fine ground white rice at local asian markets, but no where other than expensive interenet order shop can I find the brown rice reccomended in some receipes.

Is there a big differance? or is there something else I can add to the white ?

Thanks for the help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Veganized

Veganized

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

White rice actually starts out as brown rice, but the husk, bran and germ are removed and only the starchy core is left. So there is a difference in the nutritional values.

Nutrion Facts pr. cup

White Rice Flour

Protein 9g
Carbohydrate 127g (42%)
Fat 2g (3%)
Dietary fiber 4g (15%)

Brown Rice Flour

Protein 11g
Carbohydrate 121g (40%)
Fat 4g (7%)
Dietary fiber 7g (29%)

Source: www.nutrition-data.com

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

I'm wondering if the white rice flour you are finding is in fact sweet white rice flour. The reason is that the sweet variety is popular in Asian desserts/cooking.

You could probably substitute the rice flour with something else, depending on the recipe. Sorghum or millet flour come to mind, but it seems to me if your local shops don't at least carry rice flour, the chances they'd have the others may be even slimmer.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:07 AM

I'm wondering if the white rice flour you are finding is in fact sweet white rice flour. The reason is that the sweet variety is popular in Asian desserts/cooking.

No, the rice flour at the Asian food stores is in fact finely ground white rice flour. They also sell sweet rice flour, but it is clearly labeled as either sweet rice flour or glutinous rice flour.

There is a difference in baking results between the brown and white, just like whole wheat and "white" flours. Since that finely ground brown rice flour is so gosh darn expensive, I simply can't afford it, so I buy Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour, which is much less expensive, and mix it half and half with white rice flour from the Asian store, which is 69 cents a pound. I am quite happy with the results--my baked goods turn out wonderfully, with no "grit," though perhaps not quite as fluffy as they would be with the finely ground brown rice flour.

#5 lcbannon

lcbannon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

Thanks all,

I do need the extra fiber (believe it or not) so I will prob mix the white and brown.
Yep our asian stores carry both reg white and sweet white but nobody here carries that fine grind so I will mix or has anyone tried to take the Bob's and whiz it in the processer to make it a finer grind?

I have also mixed Teff in a number of baked goods with good results.

#6 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

Man...if you need to add fiber, I'd go with flax seed. That's a great way to bulk up the nutrition of the flour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: