23 replies to this topic

#1 BRCoats

BRCoats

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:46 PM

My tongue is getting its tastebuds back. I hadn't realized I lost them, but I looked in the mirror the other day, and noticed them perking back up. Has anyone else had that experience? I've been gluten-free for about two months...with a few oopsies.

Also, ever since I got REALLY sick, my tongue curls on the sides. The only time it's not curly is when I feel good....which is not often (yet). Does anyone know what would cause a curly tongue? :P

Brenda
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:02 AM

What you have is called "Geographic Tongue." My son and niece both have it (and my husband slightly.) It is totally benign. It's non contageous. Non harmful. With my son, when he's not feeling well, the swirls and curls become much more pronouced, too. Kind of like a thermometer. "Am I really sick or just have the blahs?" stick out your tongue! :P On a side note, I went to a celiac support group for the first time last month. They have a flyer that lists possible indications of the disease. Geographic tongue was listed! Who'd have thought? (So, now I'm thinking of encouraging my husband to get tested, though he follows a gluten-free diet 95% of the time anyway.)

#3 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:53 AM

I don't have a "curly" tongue but have always had a geographic toungue - my oldest, the one with stomach problems but tested negative for celiac disease also has a geographic toungue. It even changes occasionally.

I had just read last week that a geographic toungue was a possible indicator or side effect or something like that...

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#4 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

I read another side effect of celiac disease is long eyelashes... I never knew how I got long lashes when my Mom and Sis have none... when I read that it answered a lot of questions! There are SOME good things about celiac disease ~ :)

#5 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I know about geographic tongue. But the descriptions that I've seen of it seem a little bit different than mine. So, who knows? Glad I'm not the only one with a weird tongue though. :P

Mine changes when I don't feel well too. It's nice and flat everytime I feel good. As soon as I feel a little bit "off", it's back to being curly.

Thanks for the reassurances. I appreciate it!!
~Brenda

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

#6 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

Kimberly,

I have long eyelashes too. :rolleyes:
~Brenda

#7 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

That is so funny that you guys wrote this topic. I was just telling my fiance and my best friend that i feel like my tongue is getting in the way sometimes. That I feel like I am not talking correctly cause my tongue was acting funny. Like I had no control over it. They both laughed at me and told me I was losing it. I just forwarded this post to them and told them that I wasn't crazy. So weird!
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#8 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:50 AM

Either that, or we are ALL crazy. HAHAHA!! Totally kidding of course!! :D
~Brenda

#9 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:22 PM

Long lashes? How funny! My second son (without geographic tongue) has ridiculously long lashes. He's 10 and even embarrassed about them. (I thought it was so funny, though I naturally DID NOT laugh, when he came home all upset because one of his friends was asking him why they were sooooooooooo long.) He's already a cutie (nope, no bias here :rolleyes: ), but he's going to be one of those dreamy guys when he's grown up, light blond hair, spring green eyes and long black lashes. :D

#10 cdobbs

cdobbs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:58 AM

I am glad to see other peope with a tongue problem. my dad and i seem to be parallel in the symptoms we see with having celiac disease. ours isnt a curly tongiue it like its raw or num all them time. like when you burn it. thats how it feels. some days its worse and others mild. is that the same thing as the g tongue thing yall were talking about?
christi

#11 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:52 AM

cristi--when your tummy is upset it causes canker sores on your tongue and that is what your tongue sounds like--mine does it whenever my tummy gets upset--i have been told that you get similiar sores in your tummy--big canker sores and then all that acid causes your tongue to do the same thing--not fun, is it :( deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#12 cdobbs

cdobbs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

is it just acid? both my dad and i have the problem wether or not our stomach is upset. its just on the top end of our tongue. coul dbe its jsut really weird how raw it feels. i dont ever see or feel any sores in my mouth.
thanks
christi

#13 Guest_cowboy_*

Guest_cowboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:45 PM

What is included in Geographic Tongue? My wife has nothing on the top of her tongue, but along the edges it looks bumpy. I do not know if I am describing it right, but if you stick out your tongue it is only on the edges... not on top or below. I have always been curious. :P

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:01 PM

I've had several doctors and a doctor freak out when the saw my tongue!
Their explaination afterward is, it is swollen. Are the "curly edges" of your tongues the impression of your teeth? Does it sometimes look like it is cracked? If so then I guess I have a name for it now, geographic tongue. Sounds like I was sticking it somewhere it doesn't belong. LOL
Interesting enough, a swollen tongue is a symptom of poisoning.
Laura
Michigan

#15 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

Cowboy,

Sounds like your wife and I have the same type of tongue. There's nothing wrong with the top of my tongue at all. But the sides get curly when I don't feel well. Very rarely will it all look normal. I don't think there's one set way the tongue looks with geographic tongue. It seems to vary.
~Brenda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: