This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help Me Understand The Difference

T-Bird

T-Bird Apprentice

I've had my husband on a gluten-free diet since March 5th, and like alot of you he felt so great the first week, but since he has alot of ups and downs. Last night I was asking him just what he meant we he said he stomach was killing him and he was so tired. He said it was burning and I asked if that was the same way it felt before the gluten-free diet and he ofcourse said yes but alot more than he could describe before gluten-free diet. My concern is what if anything besides time for the small instestine to heal can be done. I thought I made a good gluten-free dinner last night, baked chicken, gluten-free brown rice and sauteed zuccuini and squash. Noglugirl has so much info. I wonder if she is a doctor? She is sooooo helpful, bless her! She answered some questions about glutenease and probiotics, my husbands dr. said his blood test were negative for celiac but he continued the gluten-free diet because he felt so much better. (except lately) Also, he is an accountant and just finished up tax season, so I'm wondering just how much stress can mess up some with gluten intolerance? This morning when he left for work he said to say a prayer because he felt pretty good this morning!:) I wish we had a doctor in our town who knows something about all this. We live in Corpus Christi, TX and seem to stay a little behind down here. I know that was alot of questions and concerns, but I could sit here all day with questions. Thank all of you for your continued support!

Sincerely,

Tabatha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

He may continue to encounter many ups and down. It can take a body many, many months to heal itself depending on how much damage was already done. Add in mistakes and it could take well over a year to heal. This is relatively normal. The fact that he noticed a difference immediately means that more likely than not he's at the least gluten intolerant.

Is there still gluten in your home? Are you still using an old toaster? Have your pots and pans been scrubbed thoroughly, washed, and rewashed? Have you replaced any non stick cookware with scratches? Are you still using plastic containers from the gluten days? Are your cutting boards gluten free? These are all places where gluten can hide.

Also, has your family discontinued the use of any body products containing gluten? ie: shampoo, body wash, moisturizer, your makeup, mousse, hairspray, lotion, etc... He could just as easily get glutened by kissing your neck after you used a gluten containing body lotion as he could from eating in a contaminated kitchen. Also, if you're still consuming gluten and he's kissing you he's likely getting gluten that way.

If he's an accountant is he careful to wash his hands after touching other peoples' paperwork and such? I imagine that many people eat a snack while preparing their tax papers to take to the accountant. It's possible he's getting gluten this way. Also, when he eats at work, does he clean his desk or wherever he eats, then wash his hands?

I know, I know, it all sounds overly anal, but... Better safe than sorry. I've been glutened by some REALLY weird circumstances (my daughter's hair cut, they used a gluten-containing detangler; phone; door handles). I'm extra careful now because it just isn't worth getting sick.

I hope he starts feeling better soon. It's no fun feeling like crap all the time.

girlywhirly Newbie

Thanks for those tips. I too have been experiencing the same up and down symptoms and you've given me hope and new places to be aware that gluten may be hiding!

missy'smom Collaborator

Many of us in the first year of healing are maintaining a very delicate balance with our health. I think stress can definitely upset this balance. The fact that he can describe it more may be a good sign and mean that his mind is clearing up and the "brain fog" is lifting.

RiceGuy Collaborator
If he's an accountant is he careful to wash his hands after touching other peoples' paperwork and such? I imagine that many people eat a snack while preparing their tax papers to take to the accountant. It's possible he's getting gluten this way. Also, when he eats at work, does he clean his desk or wherever he eats, then wash his hands?

That causes me to wonder about envelopes, as the glue can often contain gluten. The more envelopes he handles, the more chances to get glutened.

cathzozo Apprentice

Tabatha,

Please check out www.alamoceliac.com if you haven't already. There is a chapter for Corpus Christi, and by joining you and your husband can network with other folks dealing with this in Corpus Christi and get recommendations for doctors, etc. Good luck@

NoGluGirl Contributor
I've had my husband on a gluten-free diet since March 5th, and like alot of you he felt so great the first week, but since he has alot of ups and downs. Last night I was asking him just what he meant we he said he stomach was killing him and he was so tired. He said it was burning and I asked if that was the same way it felt before the gluten-free diet and he ofcourse said yes but alot more than he could describe before gluten-free diet. My concern is what if anything besides time for the small instestine to heal can be done. I thought I made a good gluten-free dinner last night, baked chicken, gluten-free brown rice and sauteed zuccuini and squash. Noglugirl has so much info. I wonder if she is a doctor? She is sooooo helpful, bless her! She answered some questions about glutenease and probiotics, my husbands dr. said his blood test were negative for celiac but he continued the gluten-free diet because he felt so much better. (except lately) Also, he is an accountant and just finished up tax season, so I'm wondering just how much stress can mess up some with gluten intolerance? This morning when he left for work he said to say a prayer because he felt pretty good this morning!:) I wish we had a doctor in our town who knows something about all this. We live in Corpus Christi, TX and seem to stay a little behind down here. I know that was alot of questions and concerns, but I could sit here all day with questions. Thank all of you for your continued support!

Sincerely,

Tabatha

Dear Tabatha,

Thank you for the compliments! I am not a doctor, but many people say I might as well become one since I have done so much research. :lol: Let's just say I know way too many long words that sound weird. I research everything! I forget when I am talking to others to not use the medical terms because they did not read what I read, so they won't have a clue what I am talking about! It was funny, though. You should have seen my doctor's face when I started saying stuff like Sphincter of Oddi and Ampulla of Vater! It was so hilarious! :lol: Honestly, I wonder if he even knew what they were. A lot of doctors I have had nearly killed me or just told me I was crazy. I try to do whatever I can to not strangle most of these morons. I have quite the sore spot for doctors, as you can imagine.

Regarding your husband, I know ups and downs are common. Guhlia provided some excellent advice on where to look for hidden gluten. The stuff is all over the place! I got glutened from the soda lid one day the other week. My father and mother are careless, so no matter how careful I try to be, getting glutened is difficult to completely avoid. I was feeling great the first couple of months, and then I started feeling bad again. I could have other issues, though. I know I have an overgrowth of yeast in my system, which is a full-body fungal infection. I may also have Lyme, Leaky-Gut, Babesia (co-infection of Lyme), Vitamin deficiencies, other food intolerances, anemia, and some other things.

Also, keep in mind just because your hubby had negative blood tests means nothing. I had negative blood tests as well. My new holistic physician told me those tests are not always accurate. She has had a handful of patients who were Celiac but blood tests were negative. Many people on here have had Enterolab done. It tests for antibodies in the stool. The entire panel tests for soy, casein, gluten, and egg intolerances. Genetic testing for the gluten intolerance and Celiac genes also are included. The entire cost is $380. As soon as I can afford to, I will have it done. However, my physician already has told me I am Celiac, so I may not bother with it now. I had digestive problems since birth. Your husband may not tolerate dairy. Many of us cannot tolerate casein, a protein in it.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Tabitha

Was your husband checked for an ucler due to celiac? My husband developed an ucler due to his misdiagnosed celiac. That accounted for some stomach pain.

Deb

Archived