This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Must Read

Guest gliX

Guest gliX

McDonalds fries = gluten free

McDonalds burgers = gluten free (without bun)

Soda = gluten free

Value Meal = Fries + Burger + Soda

Therefore, McDonalds is gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
celiac3270 Collaborator

Well......some of McDonalds is gluten-free.......but apple pies aren't gluten-free, chicken nuggets aren't gluten-free, etc.

Guest gliX

Yea that's true I'm just trying to show that some fast food places have gluten free items. For the complete list of McDonalds gluten free items, go here:

Open Original Shared Link

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I will get their fries when I am too lazy to make homemade ones. . .or if I am out and have no where else to eat. I think it's the only good thing abought having McDonalds on every corner, lol.

Guest gliX

haha it was a curse when I found out they were gluten free because i go there every week now. no im not fat

astyanax Rookie

don't forget to make sure the french fries are fried separately from the chicken nuggets

badandi2005 Newbie

I was happy to hear from a friend with celiac that both McDonalds (and a few other fast food places) have gluten-free fries since I'm a complete french fries addict. She told me that apparently Burger King, on the other hand, is *not* a great place to get fries because they do coat their fries in flour before frying them-- and their site doesn't even mention that in the special diets section.

Of course, I'm just taking her word for it since I'm just going into week 2 (I think) of being on a gluten-free diet...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gliX

Yes, I have a special book made by the gluten free corporation or whatever where they go to every place and check in person if its gluten free and fries are listed as being good. Their website wouldn't list it either if they weren't positive it was gluten-free. They make fries with a special machine, I researched this many months ago.

Badandi, what places have gluten free fries besides mcdonalds?

lovegrov Collaborator

Burger King does NOT coat their fries with wheat flour, althought they do use rice flour. All of this is clearly listed on their web site. Virtually all of the fast places now have sites that either tell you what's gluten free or that list every ingredient of every item.

Cross contamination at these places is a major concern, though.

richard

Guest gfinnebraska

Before eating too many of those fries at McDonalds, watch the movie "Supersize Me" ~ will give you a whole new attitude about McDonalds and their fries! Ha! In the bonus section of the DVD they put different McDonalds foods in jars to see how long it takes them to decay ~ after 10 weeks the fries still looked perfect!! Hmm... not a good thing! I am a fries addict, so this was bad news for me as well. :blink:

Guest gliX

haha supersize me was interesting

i don't care about burger king because theres only like one in my community lol

it has been a concern if places use the same grill like put chicken nuggets on them then the burgers so its good to ask wherever u go and once u know its good keep going back

Guest gillian502

I went up to the counter at McD's recently just to see what reaction the workers would give me when I questioned them about gluten. The lady barely understood my question, and looked at me like I was high when I asked if the fries were made seperately, on a dedicated fryer. Then she shook her head and said, "Uhh...noo." There is no way, in my opinion, that a fast food place is going to be gluten-free, with all the nasty cross contamination that occurs there. I know we all have to take a risk sometimes, but eating at a place like this is an awful big one.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yea....I do not eat there when I have other options. In February on vacation, I didn't have many options since I didn't know about any gluten-free chain restaurants at the time, so I ate there once or twice. In upstate NY, the people seem a little more knowledgeable....not about celiac, but about dedicated fryers, etc. In Manhattan, though..........no McD for me.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

NYC is special and has places for Celiacs to eat.

My brother eats at McDonals at least 3 times a week and is fine. I feel very confideent in their fryers since they don't use them for anything esle. . .and why would they. . .

They don't have to know about celiacs or wheat to be glutenfree.

Guest gliX

100% positive the fries are gluten-free.

their website lists it, and if they were wrong they could be sued for millions of dollars

and it's in this book that i have, its basically a foundation that finds out whats good and they personally go to every place and verify that its good.

dont worry

plantime Contributor

Burger King and Sonic are places to be careful of the fries at. Both of the ones I have gone to use the same fryer for everything, from fries, to nuggets, to onion rings.

stargirl Apprentice

Wendy's doesn't always separate their oil either. Their fries made me sick.

Guest gliX

i know i should've mentioned this:

McDonalds Fries: Definitely Gluten Free

Burger King Fries: Listed as Gluten Free but you never know

Wendy's: Not Gluten Free

Guest gfinnebraska

Every Burger King I have been to is very accomodating ~ they will always tell you if they keep their fryers dedicated to just fries or not. All of them I have been to have kept their fries separate from other "breaded" items. :) Who can eat fast food without fries???!!

Guest gliX

their site lists all burgers as not being gluten-free but is that cause of the buns obviously?

llj012564 Newbie

My son worked at our local McD so I asked him what ours was like. He just laughed when I asked if only fries were cooked in the oil for the fries. "Mostly unless we were really behind on something else and caught up on fries." Doesnt sound like Ill be eating at our McDonalds.

Guest gliX

My brother whose 17 works at a local one and he said the fries are cooked separately and are definitely gluten-free

celiac3270 Collaborator

Burger King regular burgers aren't gluten-free, probably because of the bun, but the low-carb burgers are (probably cause they don't have a bun)

Guest gliX

o i was implying that their burgers are good without the bun (i guess)

plantime Contributor

"Who can eat fast food without fries?" Me. I don't like the contamination. I learned to eat burgers with no buns, going without fries and onion rings is very easy.

As for Burger King's low-carb platters, I refuse to pay $4.29 for a $2.19 burger, just to have them hold the bun off. How dare they penalize me because I have a disease!

Archived