Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mcdonalds Must Read

179 posts in this topic

im not sure if the fries are gluten-free because they dont have a special place for them, and they usually bake them in with the oils left over from the breaded chicken and other products.

If you are talking about McDonald's, they have dedicated fryers specifically for the French Fries.

Ten pages of this thread is a lot to travel through, but it contains very useful and informative information.

Ads by Google:

Another thing to point out from McDonalds... I thought I was safe eating the Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad... but, I was wrong:

Chicken Selects

McDonalds fries = gluten free

McDonalds burgers = gluten free (without bun)

Soda = gluten free

Value Meal = Fries + Burger + Soda

Therefore, McDonalds is gluten free

But when you think about it, the Mcdonald's itself is just waiting to destroy your intestines more than the gluten haha.

But when you think about it, the Mcdonald's itself is just waiting to destroy your intestines more than the gluten haha.

I must respond here! McDonald's is not guilty of anything, but catering to 90% of public demand.

What YOU choose to put into YOUR mouth is YOUR responsibility only! No need to blame companies like McD's.

"I don't belive that to be true, Glix. . .are you sure?"

Every ice cream I've ever checked has been gluten-free UNLESS it has obvious stuff like cookies, cookie dough, cake, pie, etc. I've also seen one or two fudge type things that have been dicey. Otherwise, ice cream appears to be gluten-free. If anybody can show otherwise, please let us know.

For me, this is a product I've stopped checking so rigoriously.

richard

I went to a Cold Stone and was informed that most of their ice cream was gluteny.... :blink:

Well......some of McDonalds is gluten-free.......but apple pies aren't gluten-free, chicken nuggets aren't gluten-free, etc.

CHICKEN NUGGETS?

dshfuhauidfaioghfuighi

My life sucks.

:angry:

My life sucks.

:angry:

Yeah, for a few minutes...... then you get over it. ;)

I went up to the counter at McD's recently just to see what reaction the workers would give me when I questioned them about gluten. The lady barely understood my question, and looked at me like I was high when I asked if the fries were made seperately, on a dedicated fryer. Then she shook her head and said, "Uhh...noo." There is no way, in my opinion, that a fast food place is going to be gluten-free, with all the nasty cross contamination that occurs there. I know we all have to take a risk sometimes, but eating at a place like this is an awful big one.

My daughter worked at our local McD's and she said the fryer for fries was only used for fries. They have a seperate one for everything else.

My daughter worked at our local McD's and she said the fryer for fries was only used for fries. They have a seperate one for everything else.

I noticed though that one of the ingredients in the fries is natural beef flavor which they say may contain wheat.

This post by me in this thread about six months ago is worth re-posting, it seems.

I would suggest that you investigate *all* the information available, and then make a personal decision that is right for you. There is much in this thread alone.

Also see:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/documents/FinalC...ds023006wlh.pdf

Regarding the fries, while it is true that wheat is used as a starting ingredient in the United States (but NOT in any other country that I am aware of), the final product has been independently tested and found to contain no detectable gluten.

You decide for yourself what is right for you.

McDonald's no longer maintains a gluten free list of products. Their fries contain wheat (beef flavoring) but not wheat gluten protein. Cross contamination is always a concern with multiple shifts if the managers are not conscience of allergies. I get sick every time even with dedicated fryers due to an additional wheat allergy not just celiac. Red Robin and Chick-fil-a are very careful and do maintain a gluten free list. Just be careful! Burger King and Hardees now have a gluten-sensitivities list on there websites!

And you have to worry about a new employee using the wrong fryer. Trust me, I've worked at DQ and Starbucks and I've seen so many new employees cross contaminate or break rules about food safe standards.

I've literally stood there, told them what to do, then watched them do the opposite. It depends on whether you feel comfortable with that store.

I don't wanna hear nothing about Mcdonalds!! Those Mcdonalds are evil and I have been glutened by those so called gluten-free french fries.

:} If your fries are fried in the same fryer as the nuggets, yes you can be glutened.

:} If your fries are fried in the same fryer as the nuggets, yes you can be glutened.

And, have you read the 164 posts prior to your statement on this thread? If not, you can do a search for the topic of McDonald's here. There is some great information here, with documentary facts.

And, have you read the 164 posts prior to your statement on this thread? If not, you can do a search for the topic of McDonald's here. There is some great information here, with documentary facts.

No. I just related MY experience with restaurant. We are allowed to relate our experiences and share our opinions. And now I'm finished with this... I don't eat there anymore...

don't forget to make sure the french fries are fried separately from the chicken nuggets

Exactly, just because they don't use flour for a coating on there fries doesn't mean that they don't fry them with the fish and chicken that do have flour. Cross contamination, Watch out for it.

Exactly, just because they don't use flour for a coating on there fries doesn't mean that they don't fry them with the fish and chicken that do have flour. Cross contamination, Watch out for it.

If you are referring to McDonald's, it is their policy to have dedicated fryers just for the french fries and hash browns and they are located in a separate section of the kitchen, to avoid such cross contamination.

Of course, when choosing to order in a fast food restaurant, you are at the hands of unskilled and uninformed employees regarding your dietary needs. And, generally it's a hectic work environment. They cater to 95% or more, who do not have dietary concerns (or at least, don't admit it :blink: ).

The risk is yours.

Look here for allergen information on MacDonalds:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_ingredients.html#1

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

<SIGH>

Look here for allergen information on MacDonalds:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutrition_ingredients.html#1

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

And that is somewhat true, but quite misleading. Read on.

<SIGH>

Lisa, I hear you, my friend. :blink:

This post by me in this thread about six months ago is worth re-posting, again, it seems.

I would suggest that you investigate *all* the information available, and then make a personal decision that is right for you. There is much in this thread alone.

Also see:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/documents/FinalC...ds023006wlh.pdf

Regarding the fries, while it is true that wheat is used as a starting ingredient in the United States (but NOT in any other country that I am aware of), the final product has been independently tested and found to contain no detectable gluten.

You decide for yourself what is right for you.

If you are worried about the undetectable residual gluten after all that processing, I have to ask, why on earth are you even thinking about eating in a restaurant--ANY RESTAURANT--due to possible cross-contamination. In every restaurant I have ever been to, the facility has been shared with gluten products, and the dishes, cutlery and dishwashers are shared equipment.

Sorry, but I was curious about the fries. I went to the website and this is copied directly from the allergy info page. I am soooooooo disappointed!

French Fries

French Fries:

BonnieS, please read my post preceding yours. Then, if you still are unsure, please read this entire thread (all 174 posts). The fries have been independently tested and there is no detectable gluten in them. It is possible to start with wheat and end up with a gluten-free result. It is not common, but it is possible.

French Fries

French Fries:

I would skip them just because so many of the ingredients don't resemble food