178 replies to this topic

#151 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

im not sure if the fries are gluten-free because they dont have a special place for them, and they usually bake them in with the oils left over from the breaded chicken and other products.

If you are talking about McDonald's, they have dedicated fryers specifically for the French Fries.

Ten pages of this thread is a lot to travel through, but it contains very useful and informative information.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#152 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

Another thing to point out from McDonalds... I thought I was safe eating the Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad... but, I was wrong:
Chicken Selects® Premium Breast Strips:
Chicken breast strips, water, seasoning [food starch-modified, salt, autolyzed yeast extract, maltodextrin, chicken broth, natural flavor (plant and animal source), spice, chicken fat], salt, sodium phosphates, sunflower lecithin, maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source). Battered and breaded with: wheat flour, water, food starch-modified, salt, spices, leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), garlic powder, onion powder, dextrose, spice extractive, extractives of paprika. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent. ...........
s
CONTAINS: WHEAT.

Hey Princess,

You were right about being wrong. ;) However, you quoted the ingredients for the breaded and fried chicken strips. Unfortunately, the grilled breast strips may also contain gluten.

"Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.
CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT."

I hate it when food items have that CYA ingredient. Hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins. Central Market (Super Whole Foods) uses that a lot in their homemade soups and prepared items such as fresh made tamales. Sucks! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to order a Ceaser Chicken Salad, cut the autolyzed and hydrolyzed please/thank you. :lol:

When someone asks me if I can eat the grilled chicken from KFC I just have to laugh (to myself) and say "probably not a good idea". :D

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#153 gintare519

gintare519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

McDonalds fries = gluten free
McDonalds burgers = gluten free (without bun)
Soda = gluten free
Value Meal = Fries + Burger + Soda

Therefore, McDonalds is gluten free

But when you think about it, the Mcdonald's itself is just waiting to destroy your intestines more than the gluten haha.

#154 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

But when you think about it, the Mcdonald's itself is just waiting to destroy your intestines more than the gluten haha.

I must respond here! McDonald's is not guilty of anything, but catering to 90% of public demand.

What YOU choose to put into YOUR mouth is YOUR responsibility only! No need to blame companies like McD's.
Lisa

#155 G-freegal12

G-freegal12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

"I don't belive that to be true, Glix. . .are you sure?"

Every ice cream I've ever checked has been gluten-free UNLESS it has obvious stuff like cookies, cookie dough, cake, pie, etc. I've also seen one or two fudge type things that have been dicey. Otherwise, ice cream appears to be gluten-free. If anybody can show otherwise, please let us know.

For me, this is a product I've stopped checking so rigoriously.

richard

I went to a Cold Stone and was informed that most of their ice cream was gluteny.... :blink:
Went gluten free as of the summer of 2009
I have also now declared doctors as not really very smart
(No offense to all the good ones)

Gluten is sneaky and not to be trusted...

#156 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

I went to a Cold Stone and was informed that most of their ice cream was gluteny.... :blink:

http://www.coldstone...rt_01_04_10.pdf

Sometime, your information is only as good as your customer service representative!
Lisa

#157 Molly_F

Molly_F

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Well......some of McDonalds is gluten-free.......but apple pies aren't gluten-free, chicken nuggets aren't gluten-free, etc.

CHICKEN NUGGETS?
dshfuhauidfaioghfuighi
My life sucks.
:angry:
Mid-Diagnoses, still getting tests done ^.^

#158 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

My life sucks.
:angry:

Yeah, for a few minutes...... then you get over it. ;)
Lisa

#159 farmwife67

farmwife67

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

I went up to the counter at McD's recently just to see what reaction the workers would give me when I questioned them about gluten. The lady barely understood my question, and looked at me like I was high when I asked if the fries were made seperately, on a dedicated fryer. Then she shook her head and said, "Uhh...noo." There is no way, in my opinion, that a fast food place is going to be gluten-free, with all the nasty cross contamination that occurs there. I know we all have to take a risk sometimes, but eating at a place like this is an awful big one.

My daughter worked at our local McD's and she said the fryer for fries was only used for fries. They have a seperate one for everything else.
Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)

#160 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

My daughter worked at our local McD's and she said the fryer for fries was only used for fries. They have a seperate one for everything else.

I noticed though that one of the ingredients in the fries is natural beef flavor which they say may contain wheat.

#161 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

This post by me in this thread about six months ago is worth re-posting, it seems.

I would suggest that you investigate *all* the information available, and then make a personal decision that is right for you. There is much in this thread alone.

Also see:
http://www.csaceliac...ds023006wlh.pdf

Regarding the fries, while it is true that wheat is used as a starting ingredient in the United States (but NOT in any other country that I am aware of), the final product has been independently tested and found to contain no detectable gluten.

You decide for yourself what is right for you.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#162 Heidi S.

Heidi S.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

McDonald's no longer maintains a gluten free list of products. Their fries contain wheat (beef flavoring) but not wheat gluten protein. Cross contamination is always a concern with multiple shifts if the managers are not conscience of allergies. I get sick every time even with dedicated fryers due to an additional wheat allergy not just celiac. Red Robin and Chick-fil-a are very careful and do maintain a gluten free list. Just be careful! Burger King and Hardees now have a gluten-sensitivities list on there websites!

#163 Stylo

Stylo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

And you have to worry about a new employee using the wrong fryer. Trust me, I've worked at DQ and Starbucks and I've seen so many new employees cross contaminate or break rules about food safe standards.

I've literally stood there, told them what to do, then watched them do the opposite. It depends on whether you feel comfortable with that store.

#164 Guest_doradomiel_*

Guest_doradomiel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

I don't wanna hear nothing about Mcdonalds!! Those Mcdonalds are evil and I have been glutened by those so called gluten-free french fries.

#165 Guest_doradomiel_*

Guest_doradomiel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

:} If your fries are fried in the same fryer as the nuggets, yes you can be glutened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: