This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Exercise Good?

isiskingdom

isiskingdom Contributor

Is it good to exercise? Does it help? My husband just suprised me with a Y membership. I have lost so much weight with the gall bladder thing that is now gone and now the celiac. I'm 5 ' 7 and only 118 pounds. My friends all look at me in discuss and I tell them I can't help it. I had a baby 2 years ago and and weigh under what I was before I had her. Also what kind of vitamins can I take that are gluten free as well as aspartame free and chewable. Still very new at this its only been 2 weeks. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Is it good to exercise? Does it help? My husband just suprised me with a Y membership. I have lost so much weight with the gall bladder thing that is now gone and now the celiac. I'm 5 ' 7 and only 118 pounds. My friends all look at me in discuss and I tell them I can't help it. I had a baby 2 years ago and and weigh under what I was before I had her. Also what kind of vitamins can I take that are gluten free as well as aspartame free and chewable. Still very new at this its only been 2 weeks. :unsure:

Well I'm at the other spectrum, 5"3" and 230 lbs, but I think a membership to a gym is a great Idea for anyone. I joined a gym in Jan, and my energy level and overall mood has improved. I haven't lost alot of weight, but I know my body has gained muscle and improved my posture.

Limit your cardio to about 20 minutes, anything more than that and it will burn fat that you are looking to keep. I would suggest going and working on machines or taking yoga or pilates classes. These things build muscles, tone and increase your flexibity. You may find now your gluten free, you will gain weight again, the increased muscle and activity will help you not feel like your just blowing up. In the past few weeks scince I have gone gluten free, I also find going to the gym takes my mind off of food issues and lifts my mood! :P

isiskingdom Contributor

missy'smom Collaborator

I have added in excercize as I felt better. I have a treadmill at home and started with 10 minutes when I felt good. Gradually, I've been able to go 20 minutes 3x a week. Maybe some would laugh at this but I'm small and thin and this small amount of excercize makes enough of a difference. I do feel more energetic and balanced all week if I do this. It seems to help. Now that the weather is warming up I walk my son to school in the mornings too. Again. It's a short distance but I don't need as much as other do. I also do stretches at night before I go to bed. A nurse told me this counts as excercize because it helps build muscle.

I take Rainbow Light Healthy Family vitamin powder becaues tablet were hard for me to digest. It has no sweeteners added, just a slight natural sweetmess from fruit powders.

disneyfan Apprentice

Nature Made vitamins are gluten free and say it on the bottle.

Exercise will help your mood, your muscles, and your overall well being so definitely enjoy the Y membership!

isiskingdom Contributor
Nature Made vitamins are gluten free and say it on the bottle.

Exercise will help your mood, your muscles, and your overall well being so definitely enjoy the Y membership!

Sorry for the double post puter being weird. Good to know about exercise being ok before I had my daughter I was doing the Winsor pilates and I really enjoyed that and did gain some muscle until I had the stomach trouble so maybe I'll try that again and the Y membership. Hope my stress level goes down I'm way to worried about alot of stuff. The Nature Made do they have chewable?

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Hope my stress level goes down I'm way to worried about alot of stuff.

I found that that was the best part of exercising, Stress relief!

I did my first pilates class last night.... owww.. I'm so sore today!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cchhrriiss Newbie

Exercise is essential for your heart. I'm 5'7 and 118 lbs. I run, bike, and weight train 5 times a week. Make sure your getting enough protein and carbs. I eat about 2,500 calories daily. I'm happy with my weight and size, and know that I'm healthy. I use Nature made vitamins thier gluten free.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I "use" exercise all the time - it's my biggest coping mechanism !

I teach group fitness and do weights, yoga, run, etc. - always makes me feel better & stronger. I'm maintaining my weight, not losing or gaining.

If you are worried about weight loss, make sure you are eating enough calories - chances are if you add a lot of activity you will need more energy in ! Exercise is empowering - just look for activities you like. It is also YOUR time, so enjoy it. Work as hard or as lightly as you like, the important thing is to do something. The Y could be a great social place for you too...it's all good, LOL.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Exercising is so beneficial that this sounds like a great present. I'd recommend lifting weights. It's something a lot of women tend to shy away from, but it can be very helpful. If you do a 20 minute cardio workout, you will probably burn around 200 calories. Since you're concerned about losing more weight, an extra snack would take care of the calorie deficit.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I could benefit from some excercise. I gained a little bit :ph34r: since going gluten free. Enjoy the membership. Excercise is something that is good for everyone not just physically but mentally. I have a few coworkers who go to the gym and when they return they have better spirits. I am not sure if they work out all their problems or it relieves stress but they return happy.

super-sally888 Contributor

Exercise is what keeps me sane! Yes it does get hard some days, but overall is great. I do triathlon and train most days. I love it.

Tips. Vary your exercise from time to time, it will keep you fresh and interested. Work out what you enjoy so that you look forward to going. Exercise should be enjoyable. The social aspects of a gym can also be nice.

Eat before and after working out (particularly if you are low body weight). if you do this, you don't need to worry about cutting short your cardio sessions (major fat burning is not going to happen by adding an hour of aerobic workout a few times a week).

Do the weight training. it will help with lots of things: strenght, energy, etc.

S

• 3 months later...
singingserena Newbie

how does everyone find the time to work out...i'm a student in university and i spend bout an hour commuting to school in the morning then spend the whole day at lectures and then go home to study...i have no energy or time to work out....

EBsMom Apprentice

What about trying weight lifting? I've been doing free weights at home and am absolutely THRILLED with the new muscle definition that I have (okay, it's pretty subtle still, but *I* can see it, lol!) There's something very empowering to me about getting stronger, too. I've done cardio stuff for years, but the weights are a new thing. Working out is better than therapy to me....I get as much of a sense of mental well-being as I do physical. Good luck! Enjoy the Y!

Rho

kbtoyssni Contributor
how does everyone find the time to work out...i'm a student in university and i spend bout an hour commuting to school in the morning then spend the whole day at lectures and then go home to study...i have no energy or time to work out....

It's hard, but exercise is one of those things you have to MAKE time for. It's got to be part of your schedule. For me, I go to work and I know I'm going to the gym right after work before I go home or I'll never do it. Once I'm home I can find plenty of time to waste on the internet, but can never find any to workout. I have to force myself. Or find a workout buddy. I do gymnastics on Monday night with a bunch of friends. I want to go because it's a social activity. Same with ballet on Thursday nights.

sickchick Community Regular

I love to exercize it's wonderful anti-anxiety therapy and believe me, I'd rather walk than sit in a Psychologist's office for 30 minutes a day lol :lol:

I do light freeweights too. I am 5'2" and build bulk easy and I personally don't want to look like a linebacker! HAHAHA

I definitely find my mood is better and I have more energy

good luck to everybody :)

lovelove

sickchick

Archived