Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Trick Or Treat List

13 posts in this topic

This is something I got from my ROCK group, it is very useful

Gluten-Free Trick or Treating - 2004

Disclaimer: This list is for reference only and the user should contact manufacturers directly. It is a guideline and the user accepts full responsibility for use of it. At the time of it

Ads by Google:

Molly,

Thanks for the list. I actually found something on the definite no-no list (snickers poppables) that I didn't realize wasn't gluten-free as I assumed they were because snicker's candy bars are, but saw this before I gave them to our son. This board just goes to show how useful and helpful it is to others. Thanks again for posting!

Mom 2 2

Great list.......i don't trick or treat, but it'll be nice for eating candy in general....i didn't realize that lifesavers were made by kraft......i, too, learned something from the list :)

I had gotten a copy of that list a few weeks ago. I took the liberty of modifying it to work with a gluten and dairy free diet. Make sure you always read the labels though since manufacturers change ingredients all too often.

GLUTEN FREE & DAIRY FREE SUGGESTIONS:

thanks for posting those lists!! i always LOVE raiding my son's trick or treat candy after he goes to sleep!! mwahahahahhaha :)

Didn't see "Milkduds" on the yes or no list. Does anyone know if this candy is gluten-free?

Thanks!!

ks

Just got back results from Enterolab that I am not only gluten sensitive, but cow's milk too. I just read the list of candy for milk sensitive people and I don't see any chocolate there. I have the gluten thing figured out pretty good and have been eating gluten-free for two months now. I think I really need some help in learning how to eat dairy free!!!!!!!! You mean to tell me there is dairy in chocolate candy? I have been eating M&M's and Junior Mints thinking they are o.k. Maybe I need someone to tell me what the trigger words are in the ingredient list so I don't eat milk things accidentally. Does this mean I can't eat butter or cheese too? I need help. Barbara

Hi Barbara,

There are only two on the list, plus another that didn't get added:

Milk Duds are yet another Hershey product. As with any Hershey product, just read the ingredients to see if they are gluten-free. They were last time I looked.

Also, Hershey Hugs are listed as not gluten-free but I think they are. But before you eat one, read the ingredients to make sure. Maybe they've changed since I last looked.

richard

Dear Barbara,

I was thinking just like you until the word "milk chocolate"

jumped out at me. I'm not sure about dark chocolate.

Mariann,

Are you able to use coconut milk? I have some but afraid to use it,

I seem to react to all dairy, even soy and rice milk.

Here's something we've done for years at Halloween to reduce the amount of candy in the house...I'll be adapting it for gluten-free this year!

The Candy Witch

Our neighborhood has a Candy Witch. You can tell she's a Candy Witch, because her teeth are gone from all the candy she's eaten. Because her teeth are gone, it's not as bad for her to eat candy as it is for us.

Soooo...on Halloween night, we choose 3 pieces of candy to eat, and put the rest on the porch for the Candy Witch (we really don't want to let her into the house). She takes the candy, and leaves us a different treat, instead (like movie passes, gift certificates to a toy store, etc.). All is well.

This suggestion comes with a note of apologies to all pagans; no disrespect intended. I'm trying to think of a different, non-terrifying, creature to substitute for the Candy Witch, but coming up blank at the moment. My older daughter just suggested the Candy Bunny....

Tree

Judy,

Yes, I can have Coconut Milk. I haven't tried it much though. It doesn't really work well as a substitute for cooking, baking, etc.

And most "milk" chocolates do contain milk in some form(anywhere from whole milk to just milkfat). There are some semi-sweet and dark chocolates that do not contain milk. You just have to read the labels.

God bless,

Mariann